Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Question about preorders at Amazon

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-03, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I just have 2 quick questions about preorders at amazon. Sorry if this as been asked before, I did use the search function.

1) Does Amazon wait until your preorder ships before it charges your credit card?

2) If the price of your item increases or decreases will Amazon notify me or do I have to check every once and awhile to make sure its the price I want to pay.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1) Yes

2) Once you make the order, the price is usually fixed. I've occasionally seen them adjust a price downward, but very rarely.
Old 10-19-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Seeker
1) Yes

2) Once you make the order, the price is usually fixed. I've occasionally seen them adjust a price downward, but very rarely.

Actually each time a price goes down (Once Upon a Time in the West and BTTF), I've automatically gotten a price adjustment. If it goes up (Warner Legends) my order remains fixed at the original price.
Old 10-19-03, 05:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with garolo. Amazon always lowers the price when the studio does, but they have never raised the price when the studio goes the other way. It is always automatic for me. That is why I stay with them, rather than DDD who makes me keep a close watch and email them in order to get a price reduction.
Old 10-19-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can state that I just had an order for an item at 13.99 - and the price was reduced to 13.49

Amazon DID NOT adjust the price of the order.
Old 10-19-03, 11:54 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can state that I just had an order for an item at 13.99 - and the price was reduced to 13.49

Same here. Amazon did not adjust price for me without having a phone chat with them.
Old 10-21-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There have been times when a preorder price was mispriced at the wrong amount, whether it was via wrong MSRP or wrong discount, etc. I've learned:

1) In glaring misprices, the order is usually cancelled with or without the option to accept the corrected price (e.g. 60" flat screen tv for $400)

2) In misprices, the order usually is flagged to accept the corrected price and is cancelled if not accepted within a certain amount of time. I've found that if the preorder is made early enough, the quoted price will remain (e.g. Witch Hunter Robin LE box for $30ish)
Old 10-21-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To retierate, I preordered OUTITW on August 1 (with LOTR:TTT EE). The price at the time was 14.99. The price has subsequently dropped to 13.99. I did not make any call or send email to customer service. When I view the order it shows the price for the Leone flick at 13.99. To paraphase Yogi, I suppose I will have to wait until it ships to see if it ships.

BTW, the STL discount still shows it is calculated on the original amount. It shows the extra $.10 ( $1.50 off instead of $1.40).