Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Does DDD really pricematch

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-03, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tried about a half dozen times to pricematch with Deepdiscount. I have only gotten a response 1 time. Do you have to call them to get them to actually do it?
Old 10-12-03, 07:39 PM

I got them to credit a price difference a day or two after it shipped. It was about a year ago.
Old 10-13-03, 08:10 AM

Yes, they do price match, but most of the time it seems like quite a hassle.

They will not price match Canadian vendors. Also, it takes several days (closer to a week) to learn if they agree to the price match.

But more often than not, it's just not worth the trouble. Find a vendor you like and pay a few bucks more.

DDD will also do price adjustments for orders previously placed. So when you pre-ordered a DVD for $20 and on street day, they cut the price to $15 to match another vendor, they will adjust your pre-order price likewise. Only problem is that you have to ask for the adjustment--they will NOT do it automatically.

Just another hassle!
Old 10-13-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It is a hassle. A few times I've asked them to credit me the difference when they dropped the price after placing a preorder. It was done, but it's not automatic like Best Buy.
I've only asked them to price match Amazon once. It took them like 4 days to respond, at which point I had already given up and placed the order with Amazon.
Old 10-13-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
If you're not in a rush, they do, but if you're looking for a quick purchase, get it where it's more expensive. Or actually get it where it's cheaper since you're trying to match.
Old 10-13-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dvdirv

DDD will also do price adjustments for orders previously placed. So when you pre-ordered a DVD for $20 and on street day, they cut the price to $15 to match another vendor, they will adjust your pre-order price likewise. Only problem is that you have to ask for the adjustment--they will NOT do it automatically.

This is the comment I never understand. Why would ANY company automatically want to give you the cheaper price. It's less profit for them.

To answer the original question from the forum it appears they are slowing down in responses to price matches. Of course the way they are buying up there competitors they don't need to price match as much either

Last edited by strife; 10-13-03 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-13-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Especially an online store, that offers free shipping.
I can see a B&M; if you go to the store to PM, you are more likely to buy something else while you're there. I honestly don't know why an online store would PM, or why it's worth the hassle to PM. DDD adds in the other store's shipping costs in the 'lowest price guarantee', but since they ship for free, I don't see a benefit in PM'ing. Now, if Amazon would, that might be worth while--I find myself not ordering stuff from Amazon because the price is a couple bucks higher than DDD [or somewhere else], plus shipping if the total is < 25 bucks.
Old 10-13-03, 11:39 PM

With DDD's current policy, I shouldn't expect them to automatically give a price reduction to everyone. But why does it have to be so difficult to get a price match/adjustment in the first place?

With other vendors, it used to be an advantage to pre-order titles since they had a larger discount that when they actually were released. But with DDD, it just doesn't pay to pre-order titles these days (in most cases!)
Old 10-14-03, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Does their PM Policy apply to the CD site?
Old 10-14-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't usually price match at DDD but did give it a try last week. About three days later DDD emailed me that the requested titles prices were lowered on the site. When I checked they were 10 cents lower than the prices I submitted for the match.
Old 10-17-03, 05:06 PM

Thank you for the feedback, I like to have them pricematch Best Buy or circuit City to avoid tax, usually I am not in a rush anyway with older titles.
Old 10-18-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

DDD sucks at pricematching. they purposely wait until a low price goes back up, then emails you back saying their price is cheaper.

yeah, well back 3 weeks when i emailed you, IT WAS CHEAPER!
Old 06-25-07, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Urg, I sent in a price match request to DD, almost a week later they emailed me that they would indeed pricematch but that I needed to call in the order. I just called in to order and the product is now mysteriously unavailable. Grrrrrr. I usually defend DD, but if they are going to advertise price matching they should probably do a better job of it.
Old 06-25-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have to agree it is to much of a hassle.
Old 06-25-07, 08:51 PM

They also count shipping costs if the other vendor has shipping costs..
Which DD does not..