Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDPlanet No More. . .

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

DVDPlanet No More. . .

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-03, 06:14 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVDPlanet No More. . .

I called it. Earlier today, Infinity purchased DVDPlanet.com - All of the phone answering staff have been issued their final checks and are now unemployed. A skeleton crew will be kept on staff for a limited time to ease the transition to Infinity. This is so sad. It was 100% avoidable. A once well respected and friendly company has been run into the ground. No word yet on what will happen with their retail store. My heart goes out to all those who lost their jobs today. Sad. Very sad...
Old 09-22-03, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there a link to any news article on this anywhere?
Old 09-22-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ARE YOU KIDDING??? As a matter of fact I tried calling again this afternoon and got a message saying the phone system was being upgraded and would be back online tomorrow at 6:00 AM. I also tried sending an email to the last person that answered me back on 9/3 and it came back as undeliverable. I'm still trying to get my last discs from them. There's a new note on their homepage now:

Due to inventory, orders will experience a slight delay in processing. Shipments should resume by Thursday, Sept 25.

Shit.

Last edited by matome; 09-22-03 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-22-03, 07:10 PM

Just like I have said for the past year since Kenny left. Can we say the "TITANIC".
Old 09-22-03, 07:14 PM

I hope the DVDPlanet employees (not the "managers") find a better workplace and do well in the future.
Old 09-22-03, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by jimbo
I hope the DVDPlanet employees (not the "managers") find a better workplace and do well in the future.
Trust me when I say it wasn't the managers fault that the Planet failed, it's the executives at Image. They imposed allot of bad ideas and workplace rules and regulations that ultimately affected the company to go from a very profitable company to a company that couldn't turn a profit no matter what the managers did.
Old 09-22-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's a shame. I feel for the employees of this once great retailer. Another one bites the dust.

Originally posted by matome
I'm still trying to get my last discs from them.
I saw your post on the other Planet thread. It's a shame but in these days customer loyalty means nothing. In fact you'll be the one losing in the end. You shoulda bailed when everyone else did.
Old 09-22-03, 07:57 PM
Cool New Member

It's true that the execs at Image are responsible for what ultimately ended up happening. But it wasn't as simple as poor decisions on their part - it was in the hiring of a certain person to "act" as Planet's individual President. This person was brought in to replace Kenny (remarkably poor idea). In trying to set his own mark, this person alienated nearly all of his employees in record time. Image, in all of their wisdom, felt this individual would breath new life into a company that wasn't exactly gasping for air. How many times does it have to be said? If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Look what this fix did. Nice going guys. Way to make dozens of hard-working employees become statistics. I hope you sleep well.
Old 09-22-03, 08:27 PM

The president that they brought in was the reason why Kenny left the building and Image was the reason why allot of the management that was in place when they bought it left as well. The only person that I feel any pain for is Holly, who was a key part of Kenny's success and the only person there that had any clue what was going on after many other people left. I'm curious to what she will do now that she doesnt make that fat paycheck and until recent, job security.
Old 09-22-03, 08:58 PM

Hopefully she will end up at a better workplace where she'll be appreciated and have better management to work for.
Old 09-22-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by unbeeleebable
Is there a link to any news article on this anywhere?
agreed any link to this? That they were bought and will no longer being operated.
Old 09-22-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
That's a shame. My experience with Crane's/Planet over the years has been only positive.
Old 09-23-03, 01:40 AM
Cool New Member

dvde, I don't know who you are (or do I?). Your information is spot-on perfect. I think we know the same people (perhaps even each other). Is there some way you might give me a clue as to who you are? I'll do likewise...here goes...I know more about the history of DVDPlanet/Ken Crane's Laserdisc than anyone (with the exception of Kenny himself). Any reply?
Old 09-23-03, 01:57 AM
Suspended

Wow - that's a real shame. They were my first hard core crack dealer WAYYYY back in the LD days, when 30 percent off was a godsend. I remember when they still had a paper hard copy catalog that got sent out every quarter.

Sadly I havent bought from them in years - that place has really gone down the shitter. What a pity.
Old 09-23-03, 05:21 AM

Originally posted by Ellison42
dvde, I don't know who you are (or do I?). Your information is spot-on perfect. I think we know the same people (perhaps even each other). Is there some way you might give me a clue as to who you are? I'll do likewise...here goes...I know more about the history of DVDPlanet/Ken Crane's Laserdisc than anyone (with the exception of Kenny himself). Any reply?
Come on now, that's not enough to go on, because I can think of 2 or 3 people that would know allot of Ken Crane's history. I'm sure we know each other if you claim to know as much as Kenny would. Whats the first letter in you name?
Old 09-23-03, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by dvde
Come on now, that's not enough to go on, because I can think of 2 or 3 people that would know allot of Ken Crane's history. I'm sure we know each other if you claim to know as much as Kenny would. Whats the first letter in you name?
Have I ever met you ?
Old 09-23-03, 09:39 AM
Cool New Member

dvde,

T.
Old 09-23-03, 10:41 AM
Cool New Member

Here's the requested press release with all of the B.S. from the COO of Image and others...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030923/235301_1.html
Old 09-23-03, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by jimbo
Have I ever met you ?
Have you ever work for UPS?
Old 09-23-03, 03:01 PM

dvde,

T.
Well I can think of two of you with that name. One of which went into law.
Old 09-23-03, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by dvde
Have you ever work for UPS?
Nope, just a customer who knew a few of people at the store including Kenny. He blamed me for goading him into starting a web page.
Old 09-23-03, 05:30 PM
Cool New Member

dvde,

I never worked for UPS. And yes, one "T" did go into law (Alhambra). I'm the other one. So, who are you?
Old 09-23-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Looks like they will still be in business under a different name.Maybe they could bring back Ken Crane.
Old 09-23-03, 06:04 PM

dvde,

I never worked for UPS. And yes, one "T" did go into law (Alhambra). I'm the other one. So, who are you?
Here's a little hint. For some odd reason, we didn't exactly get along.
Old 09-23-03, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the B&M staying open? I might need to stop by and pick up some Criterions before they close if they already haven't gone under.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.