Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

problem cancelling order on Amazon

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently placed an order on Amazon from the Share The Love email sent by someone on DVDTalk forum. After I placed the order, I noticed that STL discount is not included, so I tried to cancel the order by going to my order page and click on the button 'cancel item'. Then check the item to cancel, and click on button 'cancel checked item'. Instead of cancelling the item, I get the following error message:

We're sorry!
An error occurred when we tried to process your request. Rest assured, we're already working on the problem and expect to resolve it shortly.
In the meantime, please note that if you were trying to make a purchase, your order has not been placed.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Continue shopping on the Amazon.com home page

Anyone getting this error message? Anyone know how can I go around this problem and cancel my order?
Old 08-22-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just cancelled an order a short time ago and had no problems. It might be a temporary glitch with the system. I would suggest trying later or calling customer service for help.

Also you can get the STL discount back on your order by editing it like changing your shipping options as an example. I did that a few times on orders where the STL disappeared after placing it.
Old 08-22-03, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the tip on changing my shipping option to get STL discount back. I tried it and it worked. Now my next question is this... I accidentally deleted an item in my order with 2 items so now the order no longer add up to $25 so I don't get the free shipping. Is it possible to add an item back to this order so I can get over $25 and get the free shipping option?
Old 08-22-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You should be able to get the free shipping back if the total reaches $25. However, it would require a new order and combining both of the orders together. Then you should be able to edit shipping to get free shipping applied again.
Old 08-23-03, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
You should be able to get the free shipping back if the total reaches $25. However, it would require a new order and combining both of the orders together. Then you should be able to edit shipping to get free shipping applied again.
My problem is that I can't cancel my original order. I cancelled one of the item in the order successfully. Then the amount dropped below $25. When I tried to cancel the other item in my order, it gave me the error message I mentioned in the first post in this thread. Any idea how to get around this problem?
Old 08-23-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mookiemeister
My problem is that I can't cancel my original order. I cancelled one of the item in the order successfully. Then the amount dropped below $25. When I tried to cancel the other item in my order, it gave me the error message I mentioned in the first post in this thread. Any idea how to get around this problem?

If you keep getting an error message it will probably require help from customer service to cancel the order. Then you could start over with a new order after doing that.

I suggested combining orders to try and salvage your existing one and getting free shipping again. Doing that should not require any assistance from customer service. From your second post in this thread it sounded like you wanted to keep the order open if something could be added to get the total over $25. Combining a new order with the exisiting one would make it possible. Is that what you wanted to do? Also I should ask have you ever combined an order at Amazon?
Old 08-23-03, 09:43 AM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES

I suggested combining orders to try and salvage your existing one and getting free shipping again. Doing that should not require any assistance from customer service. From your second post in this thread it sounded like you wanted to keep the order open if something could be added to get the total over $25. Combining a new order with the exisiting one would make it possible. Is that what you wanted to do? Also I should ask have you ever combined an order at Amazon?
I tried to combine orders, but it said that I can't combine that particular order because I picked 'super saver shipping promotion'. I've never combined an order at Amazon before. But I just click on the button 'Want to Combine Orders?' on the web page 'open and recently shipped orders'. It seems easy enough to do. But it won't let me combine order because of the super saver shipping promotion.
Old 08-23-03, 09:53 AM

I just use the customer support form on Amazon to send them a question to cancel my order. I don't know what's the problem, but when I tried to send the question to them, I kept getting error loading the web page. Bleh!
Old 08-23-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mookiemeister
I tried to combine orders, but it said that I can't combine that particular order because I picked 'super saver shipping promotion'. I've never combined an order at Amazon before. But I just click on the button 'Want to Combine Orders?' on the web page 'open and recently shipped orders'. It seems easy enough to do. But it won't let me combine order because of the super saver shipping promotion.
Amazon will not let you combine orders if it has free shipping. You can get around that problem if you change your shipping option to something other than super saver shipping. Also promotional GCs and coupons cannot be combined. But maybe the order has become so corrupted it is beyond fixing. In any case it is probably better to just have customer service cancel and start over.