Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVD Empire Changes DVD Preorder Prices

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 07:01 AM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shocked to get a e-mail from dvd empire yesterday stating they were sorry and there was a price increase on Dragonslayer and Cronos. Cronos was listed as $6.99 for preorder and Dragonslayer was listed as $10.99 for preorder. Now usually Dvd Empire may increase prices due to having the incorrect price listed, but they never would alter your account and increase the price there. I really think this is a double standard if they have a price decrease they never tell you or e-mail you about it let alone change the price on your preorder. Most of the time I have to check the price changes myself and remove the dvd from my order and replace it with the lower price dvd. Anyway I just thought I would let everyone know to keep your eye on your preorders at Dvd Empire.
Old 08-13-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I noticed when I checked on a preorder the other day at DVDEmpire that some of the prices had gone down, and the prices in that order were changed to the lower price. However, I was never notified of the price changes.

But I don't think it is legal if DVDEmpire is increasing the prices in an order without your approval. I wouldn't think sending an email about the changes are enough since there is a chance you may not receive it. I have had price increases on orders at Amazon but they make you approve or reject them before the order can be processed. I think DVDEmpire is asking for trouble if this is a new policy.
Old 08-13-03, 11:25 AM
Mok

They didn't ask for my approval they just said they were sorry and blamed it on the studio.
Old 08-13-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Mok
They didn't ask for my approval they just said they were sorry and blamed it on the studio.
I think you could dispute the charges if they actually shipped your order at the higher price. Also maybe they need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau if this is how they are going to now operate. This is starting to sound like another online store that is going bad thread like DVDPlanet and DDD. It's a shame since DVDEmpire was one of the more reliable stores.
Old 08-13-03, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I think you could dispute the charges if they actually shipped your order at the higher price. Also maybe they need to be reported to the Better Business Bureau if this is how they are going to now operate. This is starting to sound like another online store that is going bad thread like DVDPlanet and DDD. It's a shame since DVDEmpire was one of the more reliable stores.
Was/is not DVD Empire the old DVD Express?
Old 08-13-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by AkMedic
No, dvd.com is the old DVDExpress. As far as I know, DVD Empire has never been associated with DVDExpress.
Old 08-13-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by AkMedic
They are a different company.
Old 08-13-03, 12:50 PM

Ah, ok. Good to know, thanks.
Old 08-13-03, 04:35 PM
Mok

Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
The order did not ship it won't ship for a couple of months. I am not upset about the change in price it is only a couple of dollars. What I am mad about is they never use to do this if you preordered a dvd for a certain price that was it, they would never change it. They did tell you if there was a price increase but you would still pay the price you ordered it at. I think this a bad sign for dvdempire I also noticed a price increase in many new relases. May have to start shopping at Best Buy.
Old 08-13-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh my,

I was wondering about some these prices on Paramount pre-orders at Deepdiscountdvd that I have preordered:

Black Sunday@DDD 5.98, at Dvdempire 13.39
Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter@DDD 5.98, at Dvdempire 13.39
Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell@DDD 5.98, at Dvdempire 13.39
Dragonslayer@DDD 9.36, at Dvdempire 13.39

These prices at DDD and other places may be a mistake on these Paramount titles since I tried Pretty Baby at DDD expecting to see a real low price but to my suprise it is 13.56. If you want any of the above titles I would suggest placing your order now at DDD and hope for the best.
Old 08-13-03, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,788 Likes on 1,919 Posts
Paramount raised the prices.

Some of their October titles, like "Captain Kronos," and "Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell," along with a few others, had MSRPs of $9.95.

This is/was the original pre-order price at DVDEmpire, Amazon, and DDD.

I guess someone at Paramount didn't like the idea of customers getting a bargain and jacked the prices up to $19.95. It's not the mistake on the part of stores, but rather the higher prices seem to be coming from studio.

Guess we'll have to wait and see if any other stores decide to adjust or cancel our pre-orders. (I have the two Hammers pre-ordered.)
Old 08-13-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also wonder about Once Upon a Time in the West at Dvdempire, if these other titles had their prices raised, I guess that will to. Cancelled my order with them and went with DDD at 13.56 since it will be 1.50 or so less than my order with Dvdempire.
Old 08-16-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I cancelled my order and reordered the dvds through DDD. There were about 3 or 4 titles they increased on me.