Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Warning to Potential Ebay Bidders

Old 07-05-03, 10:01 AM

Warning to Potential Ebay Bidders

I just received what I thought were going to be the Fox Lorber versions of "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" from an ebay seller. Well, what is on the discs I believe is indeed from the Fox Lorber DVDs, but the only reason I know that is because I rented them from Netflix a few weeks ago. Other then that they are nothing like the Fox Lorber versions. The cover art is from the Criterion versions, the disc art is obviously a hack job, and I noticed that in the center ring on "Hard Boiled" it does say "Hard Boiled" which really made me begin to think that maybe they were not boot legs after all, but after taking one look at "The Killer" I knew that there was no doubt that it was a boot leg. In the center ring of "The Killer" DVD is the word "Blank." Nice try buddy. Anyway, I thought i'd get on here and warn people not to bid on anything from the seller [email protected] . I'm going to report it to ebay as soon as I figure out how.
Old 07-05-03, 12:39 PM

Just curious, what are the Fox Lorber DVDs? I have been wanting to buy The Kill and Hard Boiled from ebay, but the ones with the Criterion covers gave me a bad hunch they were bootlegs.
Old 07-05-03, 08:33 PM

Did you really expect to get those OOP DVDs for $13? Moreover both DVDs you purchased have the cover art that doesn't exist.
I do believe everyone should do some homework before buying anything on ebay... bootlegs is such a common thing there
Old 07-06-03, 12:40 AM

so the fox lorber versions are OOP too?
Old 07-06-03, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by akumah
so the fox lorber versions are OOP too?
Yes, they're OOP. But you can still find them on ebay for less than what you would've paid in a store.
Old 07-06-03, 01:44 AM

Originally posted by tori
Did you really expect to get those OOP DVDs for $13? Moreover both DVDs you purchased have the cover art that doesn't exist.
I do believe everyone should do some homework before buying anything on ebay... bootlegs is such a common thing there
I did get those OOP DVDs for $13 and since ebay won't let me file a fraud claim for 30 days I guess I get to keep them. Thank you ebay, or something. I made the mistake of thinking that ebay wouldn't allow someone like that to sell things on there for as long as he has. He's been selling since 1999 and he has thousands of positive feed back ratings with a few negatives scattered here and there that mainly say shipping was slow. Nothing is mentioned about boot legs as far as I could see.

As for the cover art, it does exist on the Criterion DVDs.

Rather than doing homework before buying anything on ebay i'd recommend not even bothering to use ebay for any reason. Ebay doesn't seem in any hurry to do away with guys like the one mentioned in my original post, just as long as they get their cut of the money.
Old 07-06-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

um, how long have you been on ebay?

there are a ton of people like that - w/ plenty of feedback for selling bootlegs.

i disagree w/ your last piece of advice. DO YOUR HOMEWORK before you buy on ebay.

i can't believe you thought you were going to get real versions for $13 - and the fact that you did means that all the other people who want the criterion saw it and passed b/c they figured it out.

btw, they sell on amazon too so you'd better stop buying from them too.
Old 07-06-03, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by $tarr

Rather than doing homework before buying anything on ebay i'd recommend not even bothering to use ebay for any reason.
Boy, just because you were less than smart in your eBay participation is no reason to make such useless, offensive, sweeping statements. I have sold about 1000 items on eBay and sit with 100% positive feedback.

There's a reason, I guess, why we keep seeing reference to "stupid eBay buyers" in so many threads....
Old 07-06-03, 11:09 AM

I did get those OOP DVDs for $13
You didn't get OOP DVDs, you got bootlegs.

As for the cover art, it does exist on the Criterion DVDs.
Lets play "Find ten differences" game:

original cover:

the one your bought:
[IMG]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3333984762[/IMG]

Moreover you were looking for Fox Lorber versions, not criterions...
I would advise you to contact the production company if you want anything to be done as ebay will do nothing - your guy is a power seller... (I read somewhere that ebay employees are ordered by their management not to touch power sellers, except for some extreme cases).
Old 07-06-03, 11:44 AM

I most likely will contact the production company about it. Too bad it probably won't do any good, but at least i'll try.

I'll admit I haven't used ebay much, but every time I do i've had a terrible experience with the sellers, buyers, and ebay as a whole. This last incident will teach me to stay away, and I still stand by my recommendation not to use the site for any reason. Why? Because it's obvious they don't care about what is sold on their site, as long as they get their cut of the bidding.
Old 07-06-03, 11:46 AM
Defunct Account

Re: Warning to Potential Ebay Bidders

I just received what I thought were going to be the Fox Lorber versions of "The Killer" and "Hard Boiled" from an ebay seller.
Why did you think that???? Where in the description does it say that they are Fox/Lorber discs? Just because you ASSUMED that he was selling something that he wasn't doesn't mean that you shouldn't buy items on e-bay. Next time ask the guy who put it out.

-Videophile
Old 07-06-03, 01:14 PM

The OP is obviously new to ebay and does need some help. Instead of offering him/her some help, some people prefer to attack.
I do understand his/her anger and frustration. It makes me so angry myself that people sell thousands of bootlegs a month, have "power seller" status and open their stores there... and nobody seem to care.

If you have time you can check out his other auctions and contact the studios with the links to the auctions. It might help to get rid of this scummer...
Maybe someone has a better idea...
Old 07-07-03, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one in the ebay ad says "HK Video" on it. Why would you think it was Fox-Lorber? Do the Fox Lorber copies say "HK video" on them?
Old 07-07-03, 03:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by namlook
The one in the ebay ad says "HK Video" on it. Why would you think it was Fox-Lorber? Do the Fox Lorber copies say "HK video" on them?
My thoughts exactly.

At least I know what to look for now when I go to Chinatown tomorrow.
Old 07-07-03, 05:09 PM

If you're still looking for "The Killer" and have a multi-region player that will also do PAL, this Region 2 version is the one to get: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...371460-9648667 (unlike all other versions, it is anamorphic).
Old 07-07-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you want a version of Hardboiled just to watch the movie, get the new R0 Mei Ah version, that has the DTS, and the original Mono track, and picture quality that is supossedly better than the criterion version. It can be found for about 10$ at most Etailors.

For more info go to this thread.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=301376
Old 07-07-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by tori
The OP is obviously new to ebay and does need some help. Instead of offering him/her some help, some people prefer to attack.
i'm a little mixed on this. if he had been somewhat reasonable in his response... "i made a mistake, next time i'll be more careful," i'd probably be a lot more understanding.

but his opinion is to damn all of ebay. it sounds like the seller had been forthright about the dvds.

anyway, i still say buyer beware... but you may still get ripped off in the future.
Old 07-09-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

About 1.5 years ago, I bought an item from a ebay seller. About $60 for DanceDanceRevolution and a DDR mat. The seller had zero negative feedback and 50+ positive. I never got my item. In the next few months after my transaction, the seller accumulated at least 10 negatives per month before finally being shut down.

I did my homework. The seller had good ratings. And I still got burned. For this reason I don't buy from ebay anymore. I buy only if I can use a credit card.
Old 07-14-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Warning to Potential Ebay Bidders

[email protected] .
So I'm not the only one that's had a run in with this dude! I won on an auction for Rasen (part of the Ring series) and he never sent the DVD or emailed me until I left Neg feedback.

Paypal investigated him and refunded my money because he even ignored them.

This guy is bad news all the way around.

482 Negs and counting.

Last edited by buckee1; 07-14-03 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-14-03, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've bought from the guy and had no problems.