Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

buying from DV Depot

Old 06-04-03, 04:15 AM

buying from DV Depot

Do any people here buy from www.dv-depot.com

I find that they are perhaps one of the most expensive R1 DVD etailers there
Old 06-09-03, 06:12 AM

They been around, looked at some of their prices.. OUCH! I would think most of their business comes from adult films & anime...
Old 06-11-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ah, not just adult films but from overseas as well. They have the BEST shipping to europe of any site, and it makes it a great value for that reason. I do lots of price compairing of sites, and generally use DvDepot because of the DHL shipping to Europe.

Shipping and customs are just too high at most other zone 1 eTailers and compaired to some zone 2 prices retail, its still a bargain.

I wish I could take advantage of some of the discount places like DDD. Normally I'll use them and ship it to my brother in the states and he will eventually just send them in a care package.

Also, DVdepot uses DHL express to europe which gets to me in 3 business days with full tracking. Everything I can order is in inventorty so I dont have to worry about backorders that last forever.

Lastly, their CS. I have had contact with their customer service department via email numerous times. 1 time I used the wrong shipping address, another time, I wanted to add an item to my order, and both times there was no problem helping me out. IN fact, with adding the item, the rep told me that they normally dont do it because stuff ships so quickly, but because of the circumstances, he said he'd do it. It got here and everything worked great.

The best service of all however, is that they open the DVDs and pad each one individually. Now, at first this bothered me, but after seeing some of the condition that discs I get from some online places, I welcome the extra care. And on that same point, 2 orders ago, I got an email from them. Upon inspecting one of my discs, they found it was damaged, and my order had the last copy, so they gave me clear options on how we could proceed. What I liked most about that is the fact that I didnt have to wait to get a package, find out it was damaged, get and RMA, send it registered mail, etc etc etc .

So, that is one reason they get lots of business in Europe.

Oh, and DHL has a great tracking system. I can track a package around the world. I'll post a recentone so you can see the timings.

Date Time Location Service Area Checkpoint Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 21, 2003 17:06
Hamilton - Canada Shipment picked up
April 21, 2003 20:30
Toronto - Canada Departed from DHL facility in Toronto - Canada
April 22, 2003 20:37
London-Heathrow - UK Departed from DHL facility in London-Heathrow - UK
April 23, 2003 09:16
Oslo - Norway Clearance processing complete at Oslo - Norway
April 23, 2003 09:16
Oslo - Norway Processed for clearance at Oslo - Norway
April 23, 2003 09:39
Stavanger - Norway With delivery courier
April 23, 2003 13:23
Stavanger - Norway Shipment delivered
Old 06-12-03, 09:25 PM

How much is DHL express to europe?
Old 06-16-03, 10:18 PM

http://pub128.ezboard.com/fdvdepotcu...picID=16.topic

here is the link to the DHL charges. it's so cheap that it makes up
for the higher DVD prices, and there are no taxes or customs
to worry about.
their service is very good too.

you can choose to leave the DVDs sealed at checkout.

they are a very good source for international (non-US) customers.
Old 06-17-03, 06:18 AM

Thanks!
Old 06-20-03, 01:55 AM

I also was a customer from the Depot but the DVD's are just too expensive, even if I count the cheap shipping! Just do a test once and put 10 DVD's in your Shopping Basket at Amazon.com or Amazon.ca and then do the same with the Depot. Amazon clearly wins and it even makes up for shipping. Especially Box Sets and Criterions are so expensive at the Depot. And if you have some catalog titles in your order chances are that Amazon can ship on release date while the Depot usually gets catalog titles later. Sure the depot has great CS but so does Amazon. I prefer Amazon over the Depot.
Old 06-23-03, 11:19 PM

To make a fair comparison, you should compare shipping by DHL Express (3 to 4 days), not airmail.

Amazon's DHL international shipping prices is out of the world!!
And if you shipped by Amazon's DHL, most likely you will be subjected to customs checks and taxes, but not so with dv-depot.

And as I have mentioned, dv-depot will appeal to international customers more than USA or Canadian customers.
Old 11-06-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These guys delivered me a copy of the recently-OOP Great Silence DVD for a very nice price and it was in my hands in less than 48 hours -- placed the order late Monday night, received it Wednesday morning, and this was just with the basic shipping rate!

I'd never used them before this experience, but they get the absolute highest marks from me.