Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

? about Canadian etailers

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there are any Canadian etailers that give you the option to be charged in US dollars? (as opposed to being charged in CAD and your credit card doing the conversion).

I know that dvdboxoffice used to let you pick which currency to be charged in, but unless I'm mistaken, it looks like that is not an option there anymore.

I'm just curious because the conversion rate has become rather lousy recently for the US side of the equation...and I have gotten screwed on some preorders I had placed months ago and not realized that the conversion rate had changed so drastically in so little time. Anyway, just wondering if any Canadian sites allow you to be charged in USD up front....

Thanks for any info......
Old 05-26-03, 07:05 PM
Cool New Member

None that I know of.
Would not make sense to take pre-orders in US funds as exchange rates change daily
Old 05-27-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
DVD Soon charges you when you place the order so that would be at whatever the current exchange rate is at the time. If you cancel, they credit your account, I assume the same as they charged.

Some people don't like being charged at the time they order but it hasn't really bothered me. I've been getting good prices, free shipping (on orders over $100CAD) and pretty good service.
Old 05-27-03, 01:37 PM

Actually the refund will usually be different from what your originally charged. I don't trust DVD Soon but using them for an example if you placed an order for something to be released a month or even a week from today the exchange rates will change.

Since you were charged today and it seems the Canadian dollar is quite strong vs. the U.S. you will be paying more then what the rate will be at release. With that if you did cancel and get a refund due to the U.S. dollar regaining some strength you will get back less then what you originally paid.

If you used a online store like TAU, you can place your pre-order now and not be charged until release. As above there's a very good chance the Canadian dollar will weaken so you'll still get a "deal". If not you can always cancel before shipment and no harm done.

I know a few working to accept U.S. dollars as an option but would think the exchange rate is causing a bit of problems, unless of course if they charged you immediately.