Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Sealed dvd sets with upc code gone?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen some dvd's advertised on half.com that say they are sealed/shrinkwrapped and brand new but have the upc code ripped off. I was wondering why this occurs or how that's possible if it's still sealed
Old 05-22-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like what? Star Trek sets? Means they sent the rebate in. Probably means there was some type of rebate...don't usually see it with DVD's but lots of electronics on ebay.
Old 05-22-03, 12:20 PM

Usually, when you get a DVD from a buy-one-get-one-free promotion, the free DVD that comes in the mail will have it's UPC destroyed in order to ensure that it is not returned to a retail store. Usually, they just put a slash across the UPC with a knife or something, but I don't even know how they could remove the UPC without completely ruining the packaging.
Old 05-23-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shrinkwrapping is easy to do. Not all people are honest.
Old 06-03-03, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought Band of Brothers sealed but with the UPC removed. Why? Don't care. Only paid $47 (before first time discount) shipped, and the set was immaculate. No dents at all in the tin case, the discs are perfect.
Old 06-03-03, 01:00 PM

I've seen a lot of X-Files sets on Half.com with no UPC's. Maybe they're stolen?
Old 06-03-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 162 Posts
Just because a DVD set has no UPC code does not necessarily mean it's stolen, and vice versa. I really don't see why thieves would bother to remove the UPC codes before they "unload the goods". Every set has the same identical UPC, so by removing the UPCs intentionally is only going to make it stand out more.
Old 06-09-03, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Items with removed or altered UPCs could be promotional items. I know that is very common with music cds.
Old 06-11-03, 06:29 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Could it be that they were brought in another market (such as Hong Kong, Canada, or elsewhere overseas) where there is typically a slight difference in the UPC.
Old 06-11-03, 06:49 AM
Banned

Rebates or special mail in offers guys. Plain and simple. Item from promotional givings either have no UPC codes, have a "Not For Resale" message where a UPC would be, or has the UPC mutiliated so it can not be returned. Items overseas, whether bootlegs or legit, would also not benefit from mutilated inserts. They either have a UPC code (legit, copied or fake), or would not have one at all. As the person above pointed out, a removed UPC from bootleg would stand out, and the last thing that a bootlegger would want is for his product to stand out.

These UPC items were physically removed for a reason, and that reason is a mail in offer.