Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Another ebay scam?

Old 05-14-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Another ebay scam?

I got an email from aw-confirm(at)ebay.com asking me to sign in -
For security reasons please re-enter your user ID and password.
Naturallly, I didn't. Is this a new scam or has this sort of ripoff become so common it just goes on continuously now? Oh - and I tried to find an address to report it at ebay but after looking for 15 minutes I finally gave up.
Old 05-14-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can report any oddities on Ebay or about Ebay to [email protected]

If the email included a link for you to 'Ebay' to reenter your username/password I would definitely assume it's a scam. Most of the time the link goes to an Ebay looking page on another website, and exists only to collect username/passwords. Follow the link, put in bogus info, and I bet it gives you a positive acceptance message.
Old 05-14-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
You can report any oddities on Ebay or about Ebay to [email protected]
Tried it. That address is not in service. They kick you to an online form. If your concern doesn't conform to their subject you're screwed. Oh well, I've wasted enough time on this. You guys have been warned.
Old 05-14-03, 04:28 PM
Cool New Member

I recieved the same e-mail yesterday. To notify eBay, forward the message to the following eBay address;
[email protected]
Note, do not just send the message as an attachment, as eBay used the original message headers to follow up on fraudulent requests. eBay NEVER requests login or password information via e-mail.

eBay refers this type of illegitimate userid/passwd request as a spoof. Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-03, 06:16 PM

I got a similar e-mail a few months ago. I guess this scam has been going around for a while. I contacted eBay and here's what they sent me:

Thank you for writing regarding the email you received that appeared to be from eBay.

As you already suspected, this email was not sent by eBay nor endorsed by us in anyway. Sadly, these emails are the result of a fraudulent entity who primarily targets members who are using or have used their email address as their eBay User ID. I am sure you already know this, but please allow me to reiterate that eBay will NEVER ask for your private information, including passwords, in an email format. As a reminder, if we ever request information from you, we will always direct you back to the eBay site to enter this information. With very few exceptions, you can submit this through your "My eBay" pages.

We do take these offenses very seriously and will make sure that appropriate action is taken against those responsible. Let me assure you that these emails and associated websites are reported quickly and in turn sent to our Fraud Legal Team for an aggressive investigation.

Often times we are able to contact the web site hosts and have the sites shut down before most members have a chance to even try to go there.

This is not always the case, but we do work actively and aggressively to pursue these fraudulent entities. Please keep in mind that eBay is a public company and not associated with any legislative or police entities. We rely on the same agencies you do to pursue these fraudulent entities.

We have found that member's who have used a PayPal payment logo in their auctions have also exposed their email address. Now that eBay has acquired PayPal we are working quickly to remove this vulnerability.

If you should receive another email like this in future, please re-submit your concern through our web form using the link below:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/select-RS.html

or forward the message to [email protected].

Again, thank you for your efforts to help keep eBay a safe place to trade. Please let me know if you will require additional information or assistance.

Regards,

Trudy
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information (such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips at:

http://www.pages.ebay.com/help/account_protection.html
Old 05-15-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for all the info. I was able to forward to their "spoof" address.
Old 05-17-03, 04:25 AM

Forgive my ignorance, other then being able to screw up your Ebay acount what real damage could be done by someone able to "hack" it?

Or maybe this best not answered to keep would-be hackers trying the same thing... some people really need a life .