Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Paypal question ....

Old 03-13-03, 01:46 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 850
Paypal question ....

I do not allow Credit Card payments through Paypal. And as usual, I have a WHOLE LOT of people who do not read my item descriptions on Ebay or my notification letter. With the long preamble, here finally is the question:

If I deny a credit card payment on Paypal, do the senders have that amount as a balance in their account or is the amout simply refunded to their credit card?

Just wondering.
jimmywong is offline  
Old 03-13-03, 02:49 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Hollywood Walk of Fame
Posts: 108
JimmyWong, if you read the help section on Paypal's website, it is clearly explained that denied credit card payments are credited back to the payer's credit card account!
The problem with Paypal is that they consider DEBIT cards which are linked to a checking account only as BEING A CREDIT CARD, so yes, you may have customers paying you with their debit card
and you would be unable to collect (unless you pay Paypal's fees)
even though the customer has strictly speaking not paid you with a credit card!
Read Paypal's Help section, you should find answers to the most common situations.
OnkyoDVM301B is offline  
Old 03-14-03, 07:27 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 394
I have a PayPal seller's account, but I don't use it very much. Can you enlighten me? Why do you refuse cc payments through PayPal?
otmetrud is offline  
Old 03-14-03, 07:36 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 712
Originally posted by otmetrud
I have a PayPal seller's account, but I don't use it very much. Can you enlighten me? Why do you refuse cc payments through PayPal?
PayPal does not charge a fee if you only accept funds from PayPal balances or from or bank transfers. If you accept payment through cc, you have to pay them a fee (think it's 30 cents plus around 3%).

Personally, I think that my auctions garner more bids if I accept cc payments, so I'm willing to pay the fee.
spyzdope is offline  
Old 03-14-03, 02:34 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 850
Originally posted by spyzdope
PayPal does not charge a fee if you only accept funds from PayPal balances or from or bank transfers. If you accept payment through cc, you have to pay them a fee (think it's 30 cents plus around 3%).

Personally, I think that my auctions garner more bids if I accept cc payments, so I'm willing to pay the fee.
If you upgrade don't ALL transactions garner a fee ... the CC as well as the transfer from paypal balances and e-checks??
jimmywong is offline  
Old 03-15-03, 05:12 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Red Wing, MN USA
Posts: 389
Unless PAYPAL has changed recently, a seller with a Premier or Busniness account will pay a fee regardless of the source - whether a credit card, Paypal balance, a bank transfer - with the exception of an e-check. Why an e-check is an exception is beyond me - it's really no different than a bank transfer. I have had money transferred to me using all methods and I have verified that what I've said is true - unfortunately. My opinion is that only a credit card payment should be charged a fee as this fee is charged to PAYPAL by the credit card companies and PAYPAL is, after all, only a service and should not have to accept that cost.

Last edited by BigT; 03-16-03 at 08:23 AM.
BigT is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 07:50 AM
  #7  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,323
Re: Paypal question ....

Here's a Paypal question, I transferred money three days ago from Paypal to my back account, it's said complete for the past day but doesn't show up in my bank account, I'm starting to wonder if something is wrong.
PenguinJoe is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 01:23 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,452
Re: Paypal question ....

Depends on your bank. Some banks process transfers like that faster than others. Paypal will say complete once they've sent it, but that doesn't mean your bank has done their part yet. If you don't see it by Monday I'd call your bank.
bunkaroo is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 02:26 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,529
Re: Paypal question ....

Originally Posted by jimmywong View Post
I do not allow Credit Card payments through Paypal. And as usual, I have a WHOLE LOT of people who do not read my item descriptions on Ebay or my notification letter. With the long preamble, here finally is the question:

If I deny a credit card payment on Paypal, do the senders have that amount as a balance in their account or is the amout simply refunded to their credit card?

Just wondering.
Interesting how you call out your buyers for not reading your item descriptions.

I now get to call YOU out for not reading your eBay/Paypal agreement, which explicitly states that if you accept Paypal, you cannot limit how people pay you on Paypal, which means they get to use credit cards.

So you know, glass houses and all.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 02:28 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,387
Re: Paypal question ....

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Interesting how you call out your buyers for not reading your item descriptions.

I now get to call YOU out for not reading your eBay/Paypal agreement, which explicitly states that if you accept Paypal, you cannot limit how people pay you on Paypal, which means they get to use credit cards.

So you know, glass houses and all.
You know that this thread was started 11 years ago, right?
Obi-Wan Jabroni is offline  
Old 04-10-14, 02:51 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Hail to the Redskins!
Posts: 24,529
Re: Paypal question ....

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
You know that this thread was started 11 years ago, right?
I am posting from 11 years ago.
DVD Josh is offline  
Old 04-12-14, 04:54 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
Deftones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Arizona
Posts: 74,267
Re: Paypal question ....

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Interesting how you call out your buyers for not reading your item descriptions.

I now get to call YOU out for not reading your eBay/Paypal agreement, which explicitly states that if you accept Paypal, you cannot limit how people pay you on Paypal, which means they get to use credit cards.

So you know, glass houses and all.
sort of like how you didn't read the date of the OP.
Deftones is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.