Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Half.com help

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Half.com help

Here's the deal. I sold some guy 'Donnie Darko' in December. The address he gave was for an office building in Manhatten. I send the thing 1st class, as it was the cheapest method. I got an email last month saying that the item wasn't received. Big surprise. Anyway, I replied stating that I did send the item and that I sent it on time using media mail (I was going by memory, but I did indeed send it out the day after I got the order). I didn't use a tracking number, as I didn't receive reimbursement for it and I hoped the Post Office could handle delivering a small box. Today I got an email from Half.com stating that they have refunded the customer with my money, because I couldn't prove he received it. What a load of crap! I have a receipt, showing that I did indeed send the item promptly, but I have to pay because either the Post Office can't do their job, or some guy in his office has sticky fingers? Anyway, what can I do?
Old 03-11-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Attach delivery confirmation to all items shipped. There is nothing you can do about this and I can't stand people who have things shipped to their "office" because they don't have a doorman or don't want to pay for doorman service at Mailbox Etc. The mail service at my company sucks and I think it would be a 80/20 chance I get an umarked package, if it was from Amazon I would guess it would be more like 40/60. You are just going to have to eat it.
Old 03-11-03, 04:03 PM

In the future you should definitely use Delivery Confirmation. It is a ripoff at 55 cents if you buy it the old fashioned way. However, if you use stamps.com or if you print out your shipping label with the free USPS shipping assistant, it is only 13 cents extra for First Class and Media Mail, and free for Priority Mail. It is cheaper this way, because the package information is transmitted electronically to the USPS before you print out the label. Also, it was mentioned in another thread that your package must be at least 1/4" 3/4" thick to use DC with 1st Class Mail (I'm not sure if that applies to Media Mail).

Last edited by spyzdope; 03-13-03 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-11-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 345 Likes on 226 Posts
I think it's 3/4" thick, but not sure.

tasha
Old 03-12-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This really burns my ass. Especially when I found this rating from the buyer in my feedback:

erk210 (76) Dec-26-02 20:14:48 PST 243559512938 Respond
Praise: great shipping, mint product, thanks! AAAAA+++++

What a bastard. I emailed Half.com about this, stating my case. Maybe it can do something.

I think I'll check out Stamps.com. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-13-03, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by tasha99
I think it's 3/4" thick, but not sure.

tasha
Yup, it's 3/4". Edited my post to reflect that.
Old 03-23-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate to tell you, but if the guy files ANYTHING with half, even if you have PROOF it was delivered, even if you recorded you handing over the item to him personally, half will deduct the cost of the item from your account automatically if any buyer complains for any reason! That place is horrible, I lost 500.00 as a seller over there!
Old 03-23-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by salamander2
Hate to tell you, but if the guy files ANYTHING with half, even if you have PROOF it was delivered, even if you recorded you handing over the item to him personally, half will deduct the cost of the item from your account automatically if any buyer complains for any reason! That place is horrible, I lost 500.00 as a seller over there!
That's not completely true. I had someone file a complaint and I gave them the tracking number and I was not charged.
Old 03-25-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thern you got lucky. All the obvious frauds I gotten, the buyer won. Once I sold SALO, unopened, for 200.00, only for the creep to complain 2 1/2 month later claiming the DVD was not new, but was used with scratches! So I told them to mail it back and will refund.

Well the dvd I got back had scratch marks all over, BUT also had a rental sticker on the top, obviously the buyer switched the DVD! I complained to half, and nothing!

Also had someone buy a NEW OOP DVD, and then 7 weeks later, claim the DVD case had a punchture mark, and the DVD had dimples, I said how, I mailed a New DVD, there was no hole punches, the buer said, "my neighbores didnt attack it with a scissor, noe the mail man, yo sent me something that was of not staed quality!" Again, half was on his side!

Then another one, I send a expensive N64 game, buyer complained, said never gotten it, I checked the DC, shows it was refused 2 days after arriving to their home, I got the package back, the mailed envelope was re-sealed, I opened it, the box was empty! they took the game,! I told that to half, they just said," item was refused, Dc shows you gotten the item back, "so they took my money again!

Or a dropshipper from UK, I didnt know he was in the uK until he emailed me personally, he wanted me to mail it to a customer of his (I didnt realize all this until after he complained, as I put the pieces together) named "Mr Z". I didnt noticed the odd name for I was in a hurry to pack, of course the dC shows it was refused by the adresser, but I never got the item back. It gotten lost. He complained, and bingo, another 100.00 deducted off my account!

And there are more horror stories I had with half.com. If I sell anything, I dont sell new anymore (too many people take advantage by claiming "not not new" and exchange with theirs) nor do I ship to P.O boxes anymore (most fraud I gotten involving DC was PO Boxes). I had less headache selling at amazon.com! All fraud I gotten involved items over 75.00, and now I check each persons address they given, to see if it is valid, if they are registered with ebays, so I can get a direct communication with them. That place is a open target for innocent sellers (and innocent buers too, all those import dVDs!).

Last edited by salamander2; 03-25-03 at 07:21 AM.
Old 03-25-03, 01:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have never had any problems with half.com, but then again I never put anything of "collectible" value on there. Usually I use eBay for that type of thing to avoid "chargeback" schemes.
Old 03-26-03, 07:27 AM

How can I print a label for 13 cent Delivery Confirmation on Media Mail and 1st Class packages? All I can find is a page for Priority and Express labels.

Thanks.
Old 03-26-03, 11:51 PM

got my own little horror story as well. recently sold a sid & nancy criterion dvd, which was supposedly received damage. buyer informs me and i offer a full refund as long as i get the dvd back. couple weeks go by and i ask him where the dvd is. he says it was shipped back, i ask for verification he says he just refused it. he goes on to post negative to me then complains saying i did receive the package (i didn't). it is still in the air with half.com atm but their last email to me was asking for my address and saying they would credit my account immediately after the package is sent. but the guy says he doesn't have anything! i am worried of him sending anything at all with confirmation and claiming it is the dvd. the half.com guys (as well as ebay) have no respect for the seller. all they care about is the buyer so he'll come back to buy more stuff. these guys are *******s.
Old 03-28-03, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by BigT
How can I print a label for 13 cent Delivery Confirmation on Media Mail and 1st Class packages? All I can find is a page for Priority and Express labels.

Thanks.
If you use stamps.com, you just print a shipping label instead of internet postage and it will add the 13¢ DC automatically.

If you don't want to pay the $5/month stamps.com fee, you can still get the discounted DC by downloading the USPS shipping assistant software which is different than the Click-N-Ship page I think you're looking at. Click here to download the software. Once you register, you'll be able to enter the package information and select the shipping options. The software will then electronically send the package info to the USPS and will allow you to print out the label. The label has the shipping info including a DC barcode, but it does not include postage (stamps.com labels do include the postage, but of course, there is the extra fee). You will have to purchase your postage separately and affix it to the package.
Old 04-01-03, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WiccanPagan
got my own little horror story as well. recently sold a sid & nancy criterion dvd, which was supposedly received damage. buyer informs me and i offer a full refund as long as i get the dvd back. couple weeks go by and i ask him where the dvd is. he says it was shipped back, i ask for verification he says he just refused it. he goes on to post negative to me then complains saying i did receive the package (i didn't). it is still in the air with half.com atm but their last email to me was asking for my address and saying they would credit my account immediately after the package is sent. but the guy says he doesn't have anything! i am worried of him sending anything at all with confirmation and claiming it is the dvd. the half.com guys (as well as ebay) have no respect for the seller. all they care about is the buyer so he'll come back to buy more stuff. these guys are *******s.
EXACTLY! I stopped selling anything over 25,00 dollars at half. too many fraud buyers pull on you! I will take my chances with ebays, as long as I dont take CC from paypal or billpoint. They cant yank money out of my fund on stuff the DC shows delivered or new stuff that they trade for their used ones!