Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Circuit City gives me the wrong LCD monitor...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-03, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I stopped by my local Circuit city last night to pick up a Sony 17" LCD monitor *here* ($650), well everything goes fine, I pay and head over to package pickup. After waiting there a couple of minutes the monitor comes rolling up on the conveyer. The manager checks it out and hands it to me "have a nice day".

I take the monitor, head home and proceed to unpack the monitor (all the while not looking at the box). I get it unpacked and they have given me a Sony SDM-V72W Widescreen Monitor -here- which retails for $999. I don't think I want to keep the monitor, I don't really watch DVD's or TV on my computer so I don't need a 16:9 monitor (the freekin' thing has a remote for pete's sakes..).

I think I will take it back unless someone has a reason why I shouldn't (it is definately the honest thing to do)...basically I don't want it..does anyone else.? flame away...
Old 01-25-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess if you do not want it you should take it back and get the one you bought and wanted in the first place. You might have a if something should go wrong with it and you tried to return it or get warranty service later if your receipt shows something else.
Old 01-25-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Or sell it for $750 " buy it now" on ebay and make a quick buck ... then go buy the right one.
Old 01-25-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The widescreen is nice, but I don't care for the "blue." If it makes you feel better, take it back. Simple as that.

Old 01-25-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Bill Geiger
The widescreen is nice, but I don't care for the "blue." If it makes you feel better, take it back. Simple as that.

If by "blue" you are referring to the border it is acutally black. I think it just shows up that way in pictures.

BigPete, I thought about that...

I called the local stores and they actually don't have the monitor I wanted in stock... I guess I will take it back and wait for the one I wanted to come in...(or order online)
Old 02-03-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I took the monitor back the other day. The guys in CC were funny. "They gave you that!" "we have had several screw ups like that in the past couple of months".

After about 15 minutes of "the sky is falling" type of talk, I walked out with my credit, satisfied that I saved CC from themselves again..

On a side note, I love how the CC tv commercials make such a big point about how "you don't need an excuse"...that's bull, every other person who was there was asked why they were returning the item.
Old 02-03-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
On a side note, I love how the CC tv commercials make such a big point about how "you don't need an excuse"...that's bull, every other person who was there was asked why they were returning the item.
They do need to know if anything is wrong with the item so defective merchandise doesn't go back out to the sales floor.
Old 02-03-03, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by NitroJMS
They do need to know if anything is wrong with the item so defective merchandise doesn't go back out to the sales floor.
I understand, and I don't work at CC, but I would guess that no matter what the reason the customer gives, they will open up and test the product regardless.

Many times they will likely need to repack or send the product back anyway.

I don't have a problem with the question about why someone is returning something, it is just funny how their ads portray the process.