Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Cancelling an "In-Store Pickup" from BestBuy.com?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-02, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, BB has some pretty sweet deals available with that 20% off from Columbia offer and there's close to $150 worth of titles I want to pick up. Problem #1 is that $.99 each for shipping kills the deal and problem #2 is I'm at my parents's house up in Maine, 70 mi. from the nearest BestBuy and 300 mi. from my regular store.

But that's ok ... i'm pretty sure I'll be heading down to Portland to return a leather coat and a few other things and an "in-store pickup" would be very possible. But how does it work?

Do they charge your card immediately or only when you pick up the order? How long does it usually take before you get the confirmation that everything is in stock and ready to go? And most importantly, if my plans change over the next 4 days and I don't get a chance to swing in before heading back down to CT, can I cancel the order directly from the website without hassle or penalty? Will they just put everything back on the shelf, no hard feelings?

If I can cancel at any time, hell, I'll place the order right now, no worries ... but if they're gonna be picky about it, well, I may just have to save my $$ or take what I can get when I return to CT.

Comments?
Old 12-25-02, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
usually takes half a day to confirm an order although that depends on the store actually looking for the dvd's and responding. I have had at least one order not responded to by a local store so YMMV.

The order is automatically cancelled in 7 days after the order is confirmed if you do not pick it up.
Old 12-26-02, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck... My 1 In Store pickup was a total fiasco. I'll have everything delivered from now on. Total incompetency at the store level ruined my experience.
Old 12-26-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by speedy1961
Good luck... My 1 In Store pickup was a total fiasco. I'll have everything delivered from now on. Total incompetency at the store level ruined my experience.

Same here ... don't think I would ever try it again!
Old 12-27-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, my trip in was a piece of cake. In fact, i went through the whole pick-up process faster than people standing in the normal checkout lines. Total time = 10 min. I'd definately do it again, but maybe when I get back to CT things might not go as well.

The only downer was the Insomnia snapper and Harry Potter clear case were both cracked and I didn't check until halfway through the drive home. I do have a spare snapper, but there's nothing I can do about the special HP case so I guess I'll take them both back in CT and swap for better packaging.
Old 12-28-02, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beware of Orange, CT!!!
Old 12-28-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by speedy1961
Beware of Orange, CT!!!
Eek!

Was it really that bad? I just got back to Milford, so that's where i'll be heading tomorrow to swap out the two smashed cases, if they haven't already sold out. They probably have ...

Damnit. Oh well, I guess I'll save all my in-store pickups for when I'm driving through Maine.
Old 07-02-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Cancelling an "In-Store Pickup" from BestBuy.com?

Is it normal procedure for them to charge you for your order before you pick it up? I ordered something on Sunday for in store pick up but decided against it. Since it was already ready for pick up, I couldn't cancel the order, so I was just going to wait for the time period for it to auto-cancel. But I noticed that the charge already went through on my credit card today.
Old 07-02-13, 04:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Is it normal procedure for them to charge you for your order before you pick it up? I ordered something on Sunday for in store pick up but decided against it. Since it was already ready for pick up, I couldn't cancel the order, so I was just going to wait for the time period for it to auto-cancel. But I noticed that the charge already went through on my credit card today.
You can call either that store or the online number and cancel it. I've done this before. And I don't believe I've ever been charged for anything until I picked it up. There might be a hold on your card, but it's not a charge that actually goes through until you leave the store with the item.

I use my Discover Card through the DC site to get an extra 5% Cashback reward for purchases at Best Buy. Makes the deals a little bit sweeter.
Old 07-02-13, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

That was quite the thread necromancy.
Old 07-08-13, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by lumberjack
You can call either that store or the online number and cancel it. I've done this before. And I don't believe I've ever been charged for anything until I picked it up. There might be a hold on your card, but it's not a charge that actually goes through until you leave the store with the item.
I'm guessing it's a hold as well. The pickup is what triggers the charge to actually get settled. It will definitely reduce your available credit until the hold is released.
Old 07-10-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to follow up, I did end up calling the number and canceling. And it was definitely a change, the customer rep even confirmed that they now charge the card once an item is ready for pick up. It took a couple of days, but they did end up refunding me.
Old 07-10-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just to follow up, I did end up calling the number and canceling. And it was definitely a change, the customer rep even confirmed that they now charge the card once an item is ready for pick up. It took a couple of days, but they did end up refunding me.
Really? That's good to know...and sucks. What a way to trip up people by changing the rules.
Old 07-11-13, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pizza
Really? That's good to know...and sucks. What a way to trip up people by changing the rules.
Yes very good to know. I will think twice about any future in store pickups.
Old 07-11-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that company seems to get more and more shady with their practices. Especially when their cancellation e mail says "Be assured that if you paid by credit card, it has not been charged, and any other method of payment has been credited."

Between this kind of stuff and their 15 day return policy window now, I find less and less reasons to shop there.
Old 07-11-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The sad thing is the only reason I think of them lately is I found some good Combos there - 7-Layer Dip with a tortilla shell!