Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I Think I Just Got Hosed On Ebay

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-02, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was searching for a good deal on the The Killer Criterion Collection DVD. I saw two auctions from the same seller going for $8.99 each. I looked at his feedback and was satisfied that he is a good seller. I read the auction description twice to make sure this wasn't a bootleg. It stated that it was a brand new original DVD, not a VCD. The picture was the cover of the real CC DVD. I placed my bid and won.

I just happened to look at the description again and noticed that after the shipping instructions is a sentence stating that all DVD's come in a resealable Mylar sheet cases so they can be conveniently put in a binder to save space. No cases. I don't know how I missed that the first time. I've already sent the money through PayPal. I emailed the guy and told him that he can give me negative feedback, but I want my money back due to the misunderstanding I had about the auction. I know it's a long shot, but hopefully the guy will be cool about it. I just started my Criterion collection and would hate to get stuck with this DVD knowing I'll have to buy it again for the case. I also requested that he send the case if he has it. Not including the case just makes it seem like this is a bootleg.

Sorry for the long rant, but I don't know what to do other than contact ebay if he doesn't refund the money.
Old 12-19-02, 02:27 PM
Suspended

Re: I Think I Just Got Hosed On Ebay

Originally posted by joefrog91
Not including the case just makes it seem like this is a bootleg.

Didn't $9 for a DVD that often goes for $200+ seem a little too good to be true?
Old 12-19-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've been seeing some on ebay go as low as $30 lately. I thought maybe the market had been flooded. I realize I look foolish.
Old 12-19-02, 03:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Joe,
A legitimate version of this DVD costs between $250-$300. This is a bootleg. Forget the case, you're not getting the real DVD either.

Good luck with resolution, but worst case scenario, at least its only a few bucks
Old 12-19-02, 03:47 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're SOL
Old 12-19-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

UPDATE

I actually got an ebay seller that was honorable. He agreed to refund my money, but gave me a little lecture first. I took it like a man and was very gracious, thanking him over and over. I'll only be out about $0.68 once PayPal takes out for their fees.

So, any version under $200 is a bootleg? How about Hard Boiled? I know all the Salo's popping up are boots. I bought the Beastie Boys Anthology off of ebay, but I guess I'll just stick with online stores from now on.
Old 12-19-02, 04:16 PM
Suspended

You can avoid bootlegs by doing a little research before you buy in the secondary market again. There are several good threads in the main forum that would be helpful if you want to do a search. A member here, Waskydiver also has a useful page on spotting bootlegs on ebay. link
Old 12-19-02, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All I can say is that it's people like you who check their common sense at the door that keeps these bootleggers in business.

Next time, do your homework. Ask the seller questions. Ask other buyers questions. Save yourself the trouble to telling a bunch of strangers that you're an idiot. It's one thing to be taken advantage of, it's another to let yourself be taken advantage of.
Old 12-19-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If all you want to do is to watch the killer, there are three other versions out there besides the Criterion version.

Fox Lorber & Disney have versions, and it is in The John Woo Collection (by Fox Lorber). The Fox Lorber version includes Running audio commentary with director John Woo / Trailers / Letterbox presentation / Subtitles control.
Old 12-20-02, 03:43 AM
Cool New Member

I managed to get an authentic copy of Salo and The Killer from a yard sale in West Palm Beach Florida for a little under $200 for both. I felt bad taking them from him but he was hard up for cash. Some kind of foreclosure or something. Oh well.

I'm still looking for Hard Boiled. Silence of the Lambs was pretty easy to locate and I got a genuine copy off of ebay for under $50.00.
Old 12-20-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for that link Trekaholic. It was helpful.

Heat, I don't just want to watch The Killer. I have already seen it. I want the Criterion to build my collection. I will just have to wait until I can afford a real one.
Old 12-20-02, 10:42 AM
Cool New Member

why do people spend that much money on a DVD? don't DVDs get re-released again? in a year or whatever, you could have the same DVD (maybe a new cover but the same disc) and you could pay $30 rather than $200. I don't get it.
Old 12-20-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, from what I've read and heard, Criterion rarely get re-released once another company puts out a newer version. That's what makes them rare and expensive.

I was lucky enough to get a copy of Sid & Nancy from DVDEmpire when they had some for about $27.