Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Warning about DeepDiscountDVD

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a DVD at DeepDiscountDVD, and after I completed the sale, I was offered a $10 coupon if I filled out a simple survey. But by clicking on the "yes" button to submit it, DDD would be given permission to send my credit card number to a credit card protection company, which would charge me $7/month for "credit card protection".

Don't forget to read the fine print!

-fm
Old 12-09-02, 12:32 PM

DDD up to their old tricks, eh? This isn't the first time they've done this. My card got hit with a $60 charge, out of the blue, earlier this year, and since the only place I had used that card was DDD, I was able to deduce that they were responsible. I posted this info here, after someone complained about a $60 charge from the same company. For days, DDD swore up and down that they weren't responsible, before eventually admitting that the charge had, indeed, come from one of their advertisers. They said they'd never run these sort of pop-ups on their site again, but, here we are...

Thing was, I hadn't even clicked any pop-ups there, much less filled out a form. I couldn't possibly have, as I've been using a pop-up blocker for over a year. At least one other person in the thread from earlier this year reported that he hadn't filled out any forms either, and had been charged anyway. I don't care how many people will swear up and down that DDD is the best site on the net - I know from personal experience that they're shady, and I'll be damned if I'll ever give them my business again. Their prices aren't even that great of a deal any more, anyway.
Old 12-09-02, 01:41 PM
Banned

Did you actually think they were going to give you $10 for free? I have never had any problems with DDD and continue to send people there to purchase their DVDs online. If you don't read the fine print and get these charges, then it is your own fault. Just be happy you caught the problem before the charges started flowing in.
Old 12-09-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Parks
DDD up to their old tricks, eh? They said they'd never run these sort of pop-ups on their site again, but, here we are...
As I recall, the problem before was that all you had to do was click a popup (even by accident) and you were automatically signed up for (whatever) using information previously furnished to ddd. I admit this latest episode does seem somewhat underhanded but at least if you have to fill something out you can't get "signed up" by accident which skirts the main objection I had before.
Old 12-09-02, 03:22 PM

When this first happened, DDD swore it couldn't have been from one of their advertisers. Then, they admitted it was, but claimed that we must have filled out a form first. Then, finally, they admitted that that probably wasn't the case, and they removed the pop-ups from their site.

Point is: I don't trust them. The pop-ups they're using now, apparently, aren't as insidious as the previous ones, but who cares? They shouldn't be there at all. I was just about to give them a second chance, too, before reading about this, but not now. It's just not worth the risk.
Old 12-09-02, 04:27 PM
DeepDiscount.com

Dear DVDTalk Members,

I wanted to address your concerns regarding the marketing promotion that Web Loyalty is currently offering at DeepDiscountDVD.com.

Web Loyalty is offering the $10 DeepDiscountDVD.com rebate as a value-add for joining their program. Web Loyalty is not the same advertiser that was listed at DeepDiscountDVD.com previously. We hope that the value-add offered by Web Loyalty is one of interest to our customers.

However, we have taken several steps to ensure that there are not accidental entries or confusion in billing.

These steps include eliminating the pop-up window so customers may not accidently enter the promotion. Customers must first click on a separate link to view the promotional message. Also, Web Loyalty requires a double opt-in before customers may join the promotion and customers joining the promotion will receive an email with another opportunity to opt-out prior to any charges being made to their card.

Finally, the promotions advertised at DeepDiscountDVD.com are handled entirely by Web Loyalty and are not outsourced to third parties. All billing, fulfillment, and customer service are handled by Web Loyalty.

We hope that the offers presented by Web Loyalty are of interest to you but also do not want them to be a distraction to your shopping experience at DeepDiscountDVD.com. If every feel that you were entered into a program accidentally please contact us or Web Loyalty and you will be removed immediately.

Sincerely,

David Barker
Old 12-09-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Easy
As I recall, the problem before was that all you had to do was click a popup (even by accident) and you were automatically signed up for (whatever) using information previously furnished to ddd. I admit this latest episode does seem somewhat underhanded but at least if you have to fill something out you can't get "signed up" by accident which skirts the main objection I had before.
I had this happen to me last year at DDD with one of those pop ups. I accidently clicked it and was enrolled into Doubleday Book Club. My credit card was immediately charged and an enrollment package was sent before I could stop it. It took me several months to finally get the mess resolved and issued a refund.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 12-09-02 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-09-02, 10:25 PM
Banned

I don't know where all these latest DDD bashing are coming from. DDD taking away too much business from the other online vendors?

This is not the first time that this sort of store bashing has happened here on this forum. These days it's so hard to tell who's got a legitimate complaint and who's working for a competing company.

My experience with DDD has always been excellent, excellent service, excellent pricing, been a happy customer for a year now.
Old 12-09-02, 10:45 PM

I enjoy DDD's services as much as most here do, but fishman offered this bit of info as a "warning"(see thread title) and it is indeed a legitimate complaint based on fact, not a rash judgement based on unfounded supposition.
Old 12-10-02, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have made over 30 orders with DDD and have had nothing but great service and great prices.