Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

I LOVE Best Buy because...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

It seems like there are a lot of threads about how awful Best Buy is, and a lot of these contain some legitimate concerns that the folks at BB would do well to address.

However...as someone posted on one of those threads, some of us have had nothing but good experiences at BB, and I think it wouldn't hurt to post those too.

Here is my latest:

I finally bought a widescreen HDTV, on sale about $86 off the regular price. Then, about a week later, I got the 10% off coupon for the upcoming "Preferred Customer" weekend (whatever that means).

So I called 'em up and said, "I know the 10% off coupon does not apply to previous purchases but I also know you have the low price guarantee that says if it's available in the store at a lower price w/in 30 days, you'll refund the difference. I wouldn't want to return this huge TV and re-buy it just to get the 10% off, so is there anything you can do for me?" (I was talking to a manager.)

She said, "Sure, I understand. Just bring in your receipt."

I did, asked for said manager, she came up, told the little blue shirt kid what to do, and he took 10% off the regular price, which resulted in $90 being credited to my BB card.

Just like that. I have other great experiences from BB also, but that's the most recent.

I don't know if it depends upon whom you get or how you come off or what color socks your wearing, but I think it's worth mentioning the good experiences too.
Old 12-03-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have only had good experiences. But I think it helps to be knowledgable about things before you go in there, and save your receipt. I hate it when people complain that BB wouldn't accept a return on an item they just bought, even though they didn't have the receipt.
Old 12-03-02, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best buy doesnt promise much, and it delivers 10 fold of what it promises :-)

i go in there ALL THE TIME. ive never bought anything there but cds and dvd's, but everytime its been a perfect buying experience, i walk in, find what i want, pay for it and leave.

the same ppl that complain about BB and the ones who say commissioned sales people "hound" them at stores. from my personal experience as a salesperson, these are the people that will yell at you if you give them eyecontact, or even try to ask them how they are doing, but the SECOND they finally decide they need help, they stop where they are and impatiently look around for someone, and DEMAND help right there on the spot.

there is one phrase that should be banned, "the customer is always right". that is not always the case. sometimes you have to put on the other person's shoes.

since becoming a salesperson, i have yet to have a bad experience. if a problem arises at a store im shopping at, i think "if I were the salesperson/manager, what would i HAVE to do because of policy, and how would i try and fix it." 9 times out of 10 the manager/salesperson does what i would have done. the 1 time that they dont we reach some kinda compromise.
Old 12-03-02, 10:58 PM

Like I said a bunch of times in those "I HATE BEST BUY" threads, I have always been well taken care of and never have a complaint about them. I guess the old saying goes, "when you have a bad a experience you tell everyone you know, but when you have a great experience you don't tell anyone" or something to that effect. I honestly think that we, the consumer, are very spouled and don't ever give credit when credit is due. We have always gotten what we wanted and if we don't, we cry and complain like a bunch of cry babies. What I've seen in my experience, most of the customers that complain about getting crappy service are the ones who made it a bad experience themselves with a bad attitude and so forth. Just my two cents.
Old 12-04-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
It gives me a place to go and look at things first then I buy them elsewhere for less!
Old 12-04-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I go there once in awhile and have never had a problem.

The only thing I ever returned was a boom box that I wasn't too happy with and I didn't have a problem returning it.

I've bought vcrs, dvd players, printers, and various little stuff (cds, dvds, etc..)
Old 12-04-02, 10:24 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have had both good and bad experiences at BB, in fact at ALL B&M stores. The more popular stores always get the "I HATE" posts. I way I see it is we also see the occasional posts about stores we never heard of but we drop those from memory because in our minds it does not affect us.

Does my bad experiences prevent me from shopping at BB? No, not yet. About the only store I do not go into is Circuit City. The ones I went to in the past appeared to be dead inside and BB is a direct competitor which has the same if not more for me to browse. YMMV

Sales people are just people like us, there are good ones, bad ones, lazy ones, and yes even ones that bend over backwards to help us. Face it, we all have family members that can be represented by one of the above types, so why is it a shock that someone else out there behaves in the same manner?

If you do not like the store, stop going there (it will help relieve the traffic and parking for those who like to go there). Just use the ad to price match at YOUR FAVORITE store (which I am positive others have complaints about).
Old 12-04-02, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a great experience with the product replacement plan on a pair of speakers. I took them in, they sent them out to repair. I needed speakers, so I bought a new pair. The bad ones couldn't be repaired, so I took the upc code from the new pair's box in, "returned" them, and got them again as a replacement item, paying only the difference between the two sets. My speakers died, and I paid a nominal fee to upgrade them. Worked out fine.
Old 12-04-02, 11:03 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by mapson
Sales people are just people like us, there are good ones, bad ones, lazy ones, and yes even ones that bend over backwards to help us. Face it, we all have family members that can be represented by one of the above types, so why is it a shock that someone else out there behaves in the same manner?
Why does it shock? Because my mother is not paid to serve me. The Minimum wage monkey, on the other hand, is receiving a paycheck to be attentive and serve my needs.
Old 12-04-02, 12:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Why does it shock? Because my mother is not paid to serve me. The Minimum wage monkey, on the other hand, is receiving a paycheck to be attentive and serve my needs.
Just your comment "minimum wage monkey" already shows no respect for the other individual. Should they treat you any different than you treat them?

If your mother did not treat you right, it's ok because by your reasoning, you didn't pay her to?
Old 12-04-02, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by mapson
Just your comment "minimum wage monkey" already shows no respect for the other individual. Should they treat you any different than you treat them?
When they're lazy and surly and adhere to the policy of "Minimum wage = minimum effort", then they're monkeys. I have no time for jackasses like that.

Respect can't be given, it has to be earned. So, when it's service with a smile, then they get respect.

Sadly, a strong work ethic is virtually non-existent these days, thus the sweeping generalizations of calling the counter jockeys "Minimum Wage Monkeys".

If your mother did not treat you right, it's ok because by your reasoning, you didn't pay her to?
Ummm. . . what? No, I said that if you are being paid to be a counter jockey, then you are not allowed to have grumpy days - or at least allow that grumpy day to affect your relationship with the customer.

"I'm pretty sure we've got that DVD in the back room, but I'm really tired and don't want to look for it" - that is not an appropriate response. (and a paraphrased real live answer I've gotten from a clerk before).
Old 12-04-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

El Kabong -

Try working in retail and not have a 'grumpy day'. I bet you're as much as an a**hole to the clerks as they are to you.

Some clerks are good, some aren't...so be it, but don't let it bother you.
Old 12-04-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
Even though I've found myself talking to an idiot employee once in awhile, I've never really had a big problem.

I go in there a lot, mostly to pick up DVD's. I don't need assistance, I usually get asked once everytime I'm in there, and I usually respond "nope just looking". I never had a problem at the register either. (actually I think I might have once but I can't remember it, losing my mind)

I did buy a TV from them once, there was no hassle. They pushed the warentee, we said no, they asked again, we said no. No big deal.

I did have to exchange a DVD once. Had a reciept, no problem there, in and out.

I'm not the type to ask questions about things. If its a big purchase 99% of the time I'll know exactly what I want. Thats probably why i've never had any major problems.
Old 12-04-02, 08:13 PM

I see this thread is being crapped on, just like every negataive post about BB in these forums. Damn people! Just a litter bitter or what? The way you guys talk this garbage, it's no wonder you get crappy service. You probably go in with a bitter and sh**y attitude. If you came into my place, I would treat you like crap as well and not bend over backwards for you. By the way, no I'm not one of those ""minimum wage monkey", I'm a "very very well paid wage monkey" (not with BB). Try having a drink or getting some tail once in a while to relieve that tension. Again, just my two cents.
Old 12-04-02, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

its wierd at BB cuz when i need help i never can get it. i guess thats more related to computer help (not dvd, cuz im just looking around).

but when i dont need help, people always seem to ask if i do.

i have met up with some HORRIBLE people working there. rude, and just plain lazy. but others have been great.
Old 12-04-02, 10:55 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Tarantino
Try working in retail and not have a 'grumpy day'.
I did - 4 years at McDonalds, 2 years at Kentucky Fried Kitten and 2 years at the Woodland Park Zoo consession stands. And my feelings - if I was having a good day or not - never came into it. I was being paied for one reason and one reason alone: make sure the customer walked away with their food happy. Whatever was required of me, I did - and all the grousing and complaining was saved for the break room. Otherwise I had my game face on.

See, I have this crazy thing called a work ethic.

I bet you're as much as an a**hole to the clerks as they are to you.
Nope, sad to spoil your mental image of me. But having been through the hell that was McDonalds I know what it's like on the other side of the counter. Thus, all my requests are clear and concise, and I do everything I can to make their jobs easier.

However - if you are a slacker, or you give me grief for having to do your job - then I have no time for you. Get the hell out of my way and give me someone who wants to be there.

It's that simple: do your freakin' job. That's all I ask.
Old 12-04-02, 11:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
It gives me a place to go and look at things first then I buy them elsewhere for less!
Ive had nothing but good experiances at Best Buy myself, but then I only buy DVD`s or TV`s there. You cant beat them in my opinion for that, but I would never buy audio equipment from them. They dont carry the real good quality stuff there. Their speaker selection is pretty much cheap stuff, nothing id want in my theater room.Its not bad if your outfitting a bedroom or basement or such, but not your main listening room. Their receivers are about the same...bedroom/basement quality, but not main room use. If you know what your looking for and stay away from the lower quality stuff, best Buy can be a real great place to shop, especially with the 30 price guarentee, and the really cheap new release DVD prices!!
Old 12-04-02, 11:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by atari2600
its wierd at BB cuz when i need help i never can get it. i guess thats more related to computer help (not dvd, cuz im just looking around).

but when i dont need help, people always seem to ask if i do.
Isnt that the way it always is? Whenever I need to ask someone something , it can take 20 minutes to get someone to help you, and when I m just going in and out quickly to pick up a DVD or two, they are always asking if they can help you! HUH? Where were you yesterday? Never fails. I still love Best Buys though. Their new release DVD prices are hard to beat(in my area anyway)! And by a rare chance Wal-Mart or Circut City Or Target advertises a lower price, they will always price match!!
Old 12-05-02, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

El-Kabong -

I forgot, having a good work ethic means you can't have a bad day once in a while.

Once in a while, you can't help but let something bad that happened to you during the day affect your performance...it's going to happen. Tell me you've NEVER let something outside of work affect your attitude at work, and I'll tell you you're a liar.

Oh, and people actually walked away from McDonalds with their food...happy? Must have been that 1.8% cockroach in the 'meat'.
Old 12-05-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look, El-Kabong is right in the sense that we shouldn't let our "bad day" affect our work. But then, we're human, so it inevitably does. There's no way around it. Its just that some are better at controlling it than others. With that said, there are many many...Bestbuys...with *repeatedly* bad service, and that should not be tolerated. Then again, there are others who've received different service and it well should be. Because, you'd expect someone who acted like a jerk to everyone in the store to be fired after a while right? So some people must be satisfied.
Old 12-05-02, 02:28 AM
Suspended

Once in a while, you can't help but let something bad that happened to you during the day affect your performance...it's going to happen. Tell me you've NEVER let something outside of work affect your attitude at work, and I'll tell you you're a liar.
Yeah My outside life may have affected my job performance - but I would never say "Get the DVD yourself. I don't feel like helping you." to a customer's face. That's downright inexcusable customer service.

Oh, and people actually walked away from McDonalds with their food...happy? Must have been that 1.8% cockroach in the 'meat'.
Quit being so obtuse - you know what I mean. When the customer left my register, I made god damned sure I did everything in my power to maximize their meal. Yeah, the food sucked - but my service was always the best I could manage.
Old 12-05-02, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The positives of BB B & M are DVD prices and selection compared to other B & M. And the $5 digital coupons and free shipping for the website.
Old 12-05-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

El Kabong-

I knew what you were saying, I was just playing with the McDonalds crack

I agree, if someone is there being paid to do a job, they should be doing the job.
Old 12-06-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't think I would go so far as to say that I LOVE Best Buy, however, I just had a very pleasant experience:

I had not received my $25 digital GC from the Band of Brothers promotion. When I phoned today around 11:00am to inform customer service of this issue they opened a case # and promised to follow up in a couple of days. Well at 3:03 EST today I received a kind email with my $25 digital GC !! !!

I am pleased as punch at how they handled by problem. Good Job BB !!
Old 12-08-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love BB. It's great for browsing, and the ones in my area have a nice selection of DVD's. They don't have the greatest brand selection for electronics, but if they carry a model I want I'll go there weekly to wait for an unadvertised mark down or special deal. I've gotten quite a few things this way, including a 27" Wega for under $400 and most recently a multiregion, progressive scan DVD player that does proper Anamorphic PAL conversion for $63. None of these were open box deals...

The best thing at BB though, are the employees. Everytime we go there me and my wife have a game where we try to see who can pick out the lie/misinformation first. Everytime a saleskid has shown us the features of a product, there's always something they've got completely wrong or just don't understand. So, while mainly useless (except for carrying things for me) they are friendly and amusing, which goes along way with me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.