Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Wanted: Your Black Friday Success/Horror stories

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-02, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love reading about Black Friday success and horror stories. Anyone have anything to share?

I hit CC at 7 AM for the CD sale and then Radio Shack for a spindle of Fuji CD-Rs. That's about it and I didn't have any problems.
Old 11-29-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...9&pagenumber=4

I guess it was a quite black friday compared to past years, atleast from the postings on Dvdtalk. I have never done the black friday thing but I like to hear about it.
Old 11-29-02, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Mine wasn't anything great.

Left around 6am and got to Best Buy around 6:30, parking was a royal pain in the ass. Went into the store, walked around, picked up 50 black cd-rs, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Couldn't find Metal Gear Solid Sons of Liberty GH, and the other GH games looked pretty dumb so me and my friend decided to head to Circuit City. I put down the movie and cd-rs because the line was too long and figured I could just get them at CC.

Now its about 6:45 and we arrive at Circuit City, doesn't open til 7 so we stand on line for about 15. Go in, get Metal Gear Solid, then I go for the black cd-rs and Ferris Bueller, neither are there . Instead I pick up 12 Monkeys and Its A Wonderful Life, and that was it.
Old 11-30-02, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Got a set of speakers for $299 last week that were priced at $199 for Friday/Saturday only. Thought by going into Circuit City at 7am to get my money (the difference + 10%) back, there'd be no crowds. Wrong. At least 200 people in, with more coming in every minute. Still, did the price match thing, looked around (didn't get anything) and was out in under 5 minutes.
Old 11-30-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
Went to Home Depot about 10:00 and bought a mini Mag flashlight for $7. No lines. I've waited for seven months for those darn things to go on sale.
Old 11-30-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Nick Danger
Went to Home Depot about 10:00 and bought a mini Mag flashlight for $7. No lines. I've waited for seven months for those darn things to go on sale.
Dammit, I can't believe I missed that one! ARGH! Another year of waiting.

Old 11-30-02, 01:08 PM

Bought dvd-writer, free DVD-rom, Visioneer 5800 from OfficeMax wednesday night as they were setting up the display - no line, out in 5 minutes.

I bought all free after rebate items from CircuitCity.com and OfficeMax.com, the $50 120gig WD drive, and other crap Thanksgiving morning in my bath robe. I heard Staples had VERY flexible staff Thanksgiving so called and tried my luck on a iffy pricematch and she did it!

Bought the $30 Envision monitor, free Money/TaxCut online Friday while watching the department store lines on TV news.

Went back Saturday morning to price reduce my Wednesday items from OfficeMax and get a new receipt and use my 15 off 75 OfficeDepot coupon - no line, out in 10 minutes.

Found out Staples was extending their sale today and giving you cash for any rebates that were Friday only, so visited local Staples to pickup free Systemworks, CDR's, and $10 Memorex scanner (after coupon applied) - no line, out in 15 minutes.

AWESOME experience for me. Wish I had more money to spend, lol.
Old 12-02-02, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I was at Best Best buy early Friday (5:30 for the 6am opening and I was aready waaaaay back in line). Picked up several 2/$20 DVD's (J&SBSB, From Hell, Bug's Life, Toy Story 2, Shallow Hal, ID4, Friday, Behind Enemy Lines) and Grease for 12.99. Got a few of the $6.99 greatest hits CD's, a couple of Gift Cards, a Norleco cordless shaver for $29 (been waiting for a hwile to get another) and a few PS1 games, controller and memory. Went to Circuit City and picked up a couple of $9.99 cd's and a couple of PS1 games. Then finally to Barnes and Noble for a few books. Also went to Kmart and got $10 back from a vaccum I bought for my sister the day before, but was one of their Black Friday deals.

All in all it went pretty well, especially since I had to get around in an unknown area(I was visiting my Sister in Independence, MO) whose highway system is simply not driver friendly!! (45MPH on a freeway!! what's up with that???)
Old 12-02-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Went to BB at 7:30 a.m. to see if the price on my recently-purchased TV had dropped (it was actually higher), thought about getting some cables and a DVD but the line stretched across the ENTIRE store, all the way back to car stereo installation, and then began to zig-zag (a la amusement park lines) near the registers. So I put the stuff down and left.
Old 12-03-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went to Wal-mart for the Apex DVD player. I got there at 6 am and the store was already in chaos even though the sale didn't start until 6 am. They must have put everything out early.

It was a struggle to get back to the electronics department. Once there, I was told that the DVD players were up front. I thought they meant the front of the dept. I couldn't find the Apex, but they had other DVD players available. I started to leave when I saw someone with an Apex and asked where they were located. They said at the front near the check-out lines. I made my back through the crowd and found them. I decided to pick up two (one for my mom and one for my dad). I was lucky enough to jump right into a short line and get out of there in about 10 minutes.