Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

YourFreeDVDs.com - Opinions..?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-23-02, 06:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone actually recieved their 'Free' DVDs from this place? I currently have 3 items that are 'In Process' and was hoping I would get them by Christmas. What are your thoughts? TIA
Old 11-23-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have always gotten my DVDs from them. The time frame is usually within a month, so based on my past experience you should get them by Christmas.
Old 11-23-02, 10:40 PM
Pip

I've only gotten one so far, but it showed up within about 2 weeks of when I ordered it.
Old 11-23-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
How difficult is it to earn a 'free dvd?' Most of the offers I have seen are credit card applications, 'membership clubs', things like that, which do not appeal to me [too many credit card apps shows up negatively on your credit score, and mine is none too good to begin with, and those membership clubs imho aren't worth the time/money/energy.]
Old 11-23-02, 11:30 PM

Well, I got enough points to get Star Wars Ep 1, back in July. I never got it. I tried writing to them, I did everything in the order they asked, and I got NO REPLY (other than the automated reply saying they got my email).

I never attempted to get anything from them again. Not worth my effort.
Old 11-24-02, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From my experience you would be better off finding one of the sites that offer money for signing up for offers. You can usually get $10-15 per credit card and at YFD you need two credit cards to get a 200 point dvd.

Their customer service is non-existent and about half of completed offers in my experince don't get updated so you are left with emailing them multiple times before it gets corrected.

If you are willing to sign up for offers I would go the pay route instead of this.
Old 11-24-02, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 68 Posts
Ah, that's kinda what I thought....Too much effort, and too many people having my info, for too little payback [imho.]
On the free-stuff thread, however, I would like to recommend Mypoints. Been with them about a year and a half, earned probably a hundred dollars worth of gift certificates. One caveat: either they have slowed down a lot, or after you redeem your points for a couple rewards they slow down. But it's easy, and requires no purchase or signup to other sites [you certainly can if you want, and get more points, but you get points just for reading the mails.]
Old 11-24-02, 10:35 AM
Banned

I love it...I have gotten at least 10 dvd's from them....It may take a few weeks to receive the dvd's but they are legit.

Most offers offer a free 30 day free trial period, and cost about a $1.00 processing fee. So I think it is worth it.

I have read that people think this is a scam, but it is not....Just dont use your real email, set one up to deal with spam.
Old 11-25-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just recieved my Spiderman DVD. It was processed well before the DVD came out, and has read "in process" since the day it shipped nationally. That should tell you what kind of time frame to expect.

It was also hard to make sure that the DVD was cleared for shpping, and I had to email for confirmation that I had properly cleared the processing. It's not like you just earn the points and then select your DVD.

But, in the end, I got a credit card I needed for business purposes, and I got my Spiderman DVD for free. I'm not disappointed.
Old 11-26-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The two best deals to start out with to get 200 points is
Columbia house TV Greats and then the trial for Netflix

The Columbia house you are getting the 1st DVD in a TV series for only 3.99(plus 100 points) and you can even cancel that member ship you don't have to buy 4 more in the next year.

Then Netflix(you get 100 points) They give you a 2 week trial and you can as well cancel after that.

And there you go you just got your self a free DVD !!!

I have probably gotten about 5 DVDs from them.
Old 11-26-02, 08:30 AM

i opened a thread about this when i joined about a month ago. for some reason they closed it. i recieved my aotc last week, not too bad, since it came out the week before. seems somewhat legit but slow customer service (one thing i signed up for didn't register points and they were slow to correct it). also, when i registered (from a link from excite), it asked me which of the following dvds i wanted, and the ones i clicked were only 100 points, versus putting htem in my cart once joined were 200. my opinion is if you watch your credit cards from being overcharged it could be a real good deal.
Old 11-26-02, 09:36 AM

Unfortunately, they no longer give points for the netflix trial. Now you have to become a paying member to get points from netflix.

I have earned 400 points from them, by using CH TV greats, aol trial, and 2 trial services that cost me $1 ea. In my opinion, CH and aol are the 2 easiest, since you don't even have to log on to aol, just sign up (note: after you quit, aol will call you and try to get you to rejoin, so you might want to give 'em a fake phone #)

The trial services that cost $1 are pretty easy too, however I would never give these companies my credit card # if I weren't using one-time-use numbers from American Express Private Payments. It would be too easy for them to deny that you quit, and charge you the full $100+ membership fee. In my case, once they charge that $1 fee, the one-time-use cc # they have is no longer valid, so there's no way they can charge me. I still make sure to call them up to cancel, so they don't try to send me a bill or something.
Old 11-26-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by spyzdope
Unfortunately, they no longer give points for the netflix trial. Now you have to become a paying member to get points from netflix.
Is this true ? So you would have to let your membership run over the trial period for at least 1 month ? I thought that I saw something saying that they might not credit you points for early termination.

I also did the AOL trial to get some points. When I called up to cancel he wanted to extend my free service way into Feb.

Last edited by ydkjman; 11-26-02 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-26-02, 12:35 PM

Here's the so-called deal:

"Sign up with Netflix today!
100 DVD Points

Now you can try Netflix, the original online DVD rental service, for FREE. After your free trial, you can rent as many DVDs as you want for just $20 a month. And, when you become a paying subscriber, YourFreeDVDs.com will give you a FREE DVD! Netflix has over 12,000 titles from classics to new releases, free shipping both ways and no late fees - ever!
"
Old 11-26-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by jonny#5
I love it...I have gotten at least 10 dvd's from them....It may take a few weeks to receive the dvd's but they are legit.

Most offers offer a free 30 day free trial period, and cost about a $1.00 processing fee. So I think it is worth it.

I have read that people think this is a scam, but it is not....Just dont use your real email, set one up to deal with spam.
Did you, or anyone else reading, get any special edition movies that didn't say they were in the title but the box cover shown was and they turned out to be?

Specifically Fight Club, Cast Away, and Notting Hill.

Last edited by abintra; 11-28-02 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-05-02, 01:20 AM
Cool New Member

I ordered the following on 11/14

Beautiful Mind, A (2002) (Widescreen)
Bring It On (2000)
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001) (WS)
Spiderman (2002)
Blade 2 Platinum Series (2002) (2 Discs)

The status changed to shipped today

So I *hope* I get them before XMas! Not bad at all for free..
Old 12-05-02, 11:32 AM

I just received my first free dvd from them (SW Ep. 1) and I noticed something interesting. When I got the package out of my mail, the return adress was:

Critics Choice
900 N. Rohlwing Road
Itasca IL 60143

I knew that address looked familiar and at first I was pissed 'cause I thought maybe it was a director's selection from CH, but then I realized that that was the address of deepdiscountdvd.com.

When I opened it up I was surprised to find my dvd from yourfreedvds. It looks like they just had the dvd drop shipped directly from DDD uder the name "critic's choice". Of course, they may have similar deals with other DVD merchants, so there's no guarantee that they all come from DDD.
Old 12-09-02, 05:33 PM
Cool New Member

I just recieved my Spiderman DVD today, it also came from Critics Choice. It was the 2 CD SE with the Buy 1 Get One Free coupon in the box. Was brand new shrinkwrapped. GREAT DEAL!
Old 12-10-02, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Critic's Choice is the parent company of DDD.
Old 12-10-02, 09:25 PM
Cool New Member

Got my Blade 2 two-CD set today, wonder why they arent shipping them togther...