Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

SamGoody.com Disaster (Vent)

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 11-21-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before anyone tells me "Don't buy from them if they're so bad", I'm doing so because I was given a gift card for my birthday.

The story:

I've been trying to use my $50.00 gift card for the past two days with no luck at all. The "new and improved" site makes it just about impossible to search for a movie. You usually get a standard "we can't find the item" or "contact customer service" when you use the search feature.

When looking at a subcategory (such as Horror / Thriller) the results lead to an empty page more times than not.

On many occasions it takes so long for a page to turn (with a cable connection) that the session expires.

I called the CSR and they claim this problem has "just" happened earlier today. That's garbage as I started trying to use this card yesterday afternoon with the same results or lack of.

The funniest part must be the recording you get ( after you press #1 for English!!! ). The voice says that the problems are due to a high number of orders

This is so annoying......It feels as if I have to put in a full workday on their site in order to use my $50.00. I'll never shop with them again once I get something with this card.

If any employees from SamGoody visit this post please give a "proper" explanation. Who programmed the site? A monkey?

It's no wonder SG is offering free shipping, since you can't find anything on the site to ship.

BTW: SamGoody's prices are well above Amazon's and not even in the same ballpark as DDD. Why should anyone use them if it's not for receiving a gift card from a relative who meant well but doesn't know the difference in online stores?

Vent over.
Old 11-21-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
"Don't buy from them if they're so bad"

Media Play/Sam Goody/Suncoast did have some Hammer movies for less than $9.00 each some time back, but I just looked up a couple and they were $9.99.

I'm pretty sure they're still less than $9.00 in the stores (at Media Play at least). Do you have a store nearby? If not send me the gift card.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-21-02 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-21-02, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by Dimension X
"Don't buy from them if they're so bad"

Media Play/Sam Goody/Suncoast did have some Hammer movies for less than $9.00 each some time back, but I just looked up a couple and they were $9.99.

I'm pretty sure they're still less than $9.00 in the stores (at Media Play at least). Do you have a store nearby? If not send me the gift card.

I just checked back with them....It seems to be running a little better.......I guess it means I can't send Dimension my gift card
Spoiler:
I left out the X just to see if you would say something about it.

BTW: That's a good idea about the Hammer films....Thanks buddy
Old 11-21-02, 08:55 PM

Oh....One more thing Dimension X - Can you send me / post the links to the Hammer items....I can't find them on the blasted site....Thanks!
Old 11-21-02, 09:08 PM

Saw a DVD on sale on their website, and went to the local store to see if they would pricematch. The short answer is NO!

According to the store manager, in a round about way, he told me that the stores are apparently not doing that well these days and they are in competition with their own website. They need to milk out some extra margins because they have higher overhead.
Old 11-21-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
samgoody no damn good!

Many moons ago (before the Best Buy offer) samgoody offered a $25 digital certificate (dc) if you purchased Band of Brothers. Plus they had a $10 coupon and free shipping. Great deal. I was supposed to get the dc by 12 Nov. It finally arrived several days late and then it didn't work. At the same time they redesigned the site and Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING on that piece of **** website works. Totally disgusted, I called again today to try and get a working dc. The poor CSR was very harried and very apoligetic. She told me that even the CSRs can't make that crappy site work. According to her, they can't even do phone orders. Pitiful. Anyway she gave me a working dc (finally). Don't you hate it when you have to beg for something you are owed? Naturally, now that I have a working dc the sale they were running is over, evidently yanked today. Or maybe the site just isn't working - AGAIN. I decided to buy something, anything to use this dc and be done with sam-no-damn-goodie. I put the item in the cart, apply the dc (it finally works yay!!) and it won't let me check out. I give up. I'm afraid if I frig around with this miserable site anymore my head may explode.
Old 11-21-02, 10:46 PM

I'm STILL at it trying to use my $50.00 gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Here's what they had for $8.99:
The Lost Continent
The Mummy's Shroud
The Plague of the Zombies
Prehistoric Women
The Vengeance of She
The Viking Queen
The Witches

They also had Tombs of the Blind Dead/Return of the Blind Dead and Q: The Winged Serpent.

I looked up a couple of them earlier today on DVDPriceSearch and they came up $9.99, but like I said, I think they're still $8.99 in the B&Ms (I had to exchange a bad copy of The Witches last month at Media Play).

Good luck.

Edit: There was a thread about these Hammer titles many moons ago. I may have missed some titles, so you might want to dig up the old thread.

Last edited by Dimension X; 11-21-02 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-22-02, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by Dimension X
Here's what they had for $8.99:
The Lost Continent
The Mummy's Shroud
The Plague of the Zombies
Prehistoric Women
The Vengeance of She
The Viking Queen
The Witches

They also had Tombs of the Blind Dead/Return of the Blind Dead and Q: The Winged Serpent.

I looked up a couple of them earlier today on DVDPriceSearch and they came up $9.99, but like I said, I think they're still $8.99 in the B&Ms (I had to exchange a bad copy of The Witches last month at Media Play).

Good luck.

Edit: There was a thread about these Hammer titles many moons ago. I may have missed some titles, so you might want to dig up the old thread.
Thanks.....But I just got an order through and after the hell I went through I can't bring myself to change it

I bought Born Yesterday (Holden) and Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde (Barrymore). Both were extremely overpriced at $24.99 each At least I got the order through after hours of work

Now let's see if they make a mess of the order........Any odds
Old 11-22-02, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RE: The Hammer titles.
You can get a good deal on some of those Hammer titles at Suncoast, in-store. If you buy three, they'll be $6.99 each.

They have an in-store special that if you buy 3 titles that are normally priced $14.99 or less, you get $9 off. The Hammer titles are $9.99, so they're $6.99 each if you buy 3.
Old 11-24-02, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe they screwed up their website just before the holiday order rush. In addition to giving up on their impossible new and "improved" site, I've been waiting two months for a refund from them. Shopping B&M this year.