Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Toys R Us was a ZOO this morning

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-02, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't really have anything better to do, so I arrived at TRU about 15 minutes before they opened, then got behind (I kid you not) about 50 people waiting in line to enter the store.

They all headed for movies and about 80% of them thought the movie was released TODAY... mass chaos ensued until one lady yells "It's out Tuesday, PRE-ORDER it!". Behind them came about 20 more people all pre-ordering the flick. I imagine they'll be a very small amount left in stock (at least in my neighborhood) on Tuesday morning, no less when I get off work at 7pm.

On a brighter note, the Wal-Mart lady told me I could hold 2 copies of Episode II and get them Tuesday night when I came home from work. She stated that Wal-Mart receives their movies a day in advance (could be lying, opinions?) and she'd gladly allow me to hold 2 copies. Of course, I didn't mention they'd be ten bucks or I'm sure both copies would magically disappear Monday.

God bless Wal-Mart - head to your local store tomorrow and try the same deal. Just don't mention the sale to those employees (IMHO). Ugh, too much work for five bucks. Episode II makes a lousy Christmas gift for any true fan since they'll already have it LOOONG before December 25th.

Now my kids on the other hand ...
Old 11-10-02, 07:51 PM

Regarding Wal-mart . . .

My Wal-Mart (in Jackson, MS) had a full display in the front of the store with Full Screen copies of the DVD. Of course, they wanted $22.95 for the DVD. Two things bugged me: why was Wal-mart selling these early (I've NEVER seen Wally World sell anything before the release date), and more importantly, why were they selling at a premium, when on Tuesday, they'll want $14.88 for a new Star Wars EP II DVD. Quite confusing.

The failed McDonald's applicants, otherwise known at Toys-R-Us counter monkeys looked at me like I was a lepper when I asked them about how much Episode II would be when it was released on Tuesday. There confusion was only mildly abated when I pointed to the large sign overhanging each register that stated the movie title and release date.

I printed the JPG ad out, and I will take it to TRU on Tuesday. If they won't honor the price, then I'll take my Best Buy Gift card, walk across the street, and go get it there. Options . . . gotta love them
Old 11-10-02, 08:09 PM

Luckily my TRU didn't have anyone waiting to pre-order, but they are running low on pre-order slips.
Old 11-10-02, 09:00 PM

Regarding Wal-Mart again...

The Wal-Mart I shopped at where I used to live regularly sold titles before the release date. I guess when your company is the proverbial "500-pound gorilla", you can get away with it...
Old 11-10-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

little (non-supercenter) wal-marts often put DVD's out before release day. i travel all over texas on business and occasionally i'll stop in little podunk towns and check out the DVD selection. they are always priced higher than i'm used to at the supercenter but they break release date.
Old 11-10-02, 09:32 PM

Wow, 50+ people waiting in line to get a $16 dvd for $10 bucks? It's insane how people would go to great lengths to jump on deals nowadays.
Old 11-10-02, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is the next movie supposed to be out? Next May, or May 2004?

That is, there will be a six DVD set eventually...
Old 11-10-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Heat
When is the next movie supposed to be out? Next May, or May 2004?
Neither. May 2005, meaning a holiday 2005 DVD release at the earliest.
Old 11-10-02, 10:12 PM

I think whoever is going to buy at TRU should not bother fighting the crowd and just go over to Walmart first thing and simply pricematch. I went to TRU today just to get the ad and on my way to work on Tuesday I'm going to stop by the non-crowded Walmart, pricematch it and buy it. It's that simple people. Why fight a bunch of boneheads to try to get one copy of the flick? Just my view on this.
Old 11-10-02, 10:24 PM

Its' just $5.00 people...... I would not be suprised if a riot insues on tuesday at Toys R Us.......
Old 11-10-02, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by dvde
I think whoever is going to buy at TRU should not bother fighting the crowd and just go over to Walmart first thing and simply pricematch. I went to TRU today just to get the ad and on my way to work on Tuesday I'm going to stop by the non-crowded Walmart, pricematch it and buy it. It's that simple people. Why fight a bunch of boneheads to try to get one copy of the flick? Just my view on this.
My paper did not have the add. So I went over to the local TRU to get an ad. Just my luck, they were closed due to a power failure. D'oh!
Old 11-10-02, 11:29 PM

The fact that there were that many people trying to buy a new release on Sunday proves that their not regular dvd buyers as we know they only come out on Tuesdays or an occassional Friday.
Old 11-11-02, 12:48 AM

Why does everyone want to price match? Why doesn't everyone just reserve it at TRU?
Old 11-11-02, 01:23 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Skull
Why does everyone want to price match? Why doesn't everyone just reserve it at TRU?
I believe the preorder window has past and they won't accept any more preorder/reservation.

Well, talking about TRU was a Zoo this morning. It will be worst on this Tuesday
Old 11-11-02, 01:26 AM

TRU stopped reserving today. Called and asked and they said they won't do it. First come first served.
Old 11-11-02, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

reading about all of this brouhaha makes me glad that amazon screwed up my order. my grand total on this title is 7.44! i wish good luck to everyone who tries to get in on this deal.
Old 11-11-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by madgame
Its' just $5.00 people...... I would not be suprised if a riot insues on tuesday at Toys R Us.......
Yes, but $5.00 off is still is a "BARGAIN", this is the "BARGAIN" forum and people are looking for "BARGAINS". There will be no riot, just people getting their low-priced DVD.
Old 11-11-02, 08:42 AM

[B]quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by madgame
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by iggystar
Yes, but $5.00 off is still is a "BARGAIN", this is the "BARGAIN" forum and people are looking for "BARGAINS". There will be no riot, just people getting their low-priced DVD.
If I was un-employed 5 dollars would mean I would have to put up with low-IQ employees, assorted idiot parents, on top of the STAR WARS fanboys/gals. But even then who wants the aggravation? I think what madgame was trying to say was that sometimes it's just not worth it to kill yourself for 5 bucks off a DVD. Or is Star Wars Ep 2 a limited release?
Old 11-11-02, 09:37 AM
Cool New Member

I think it's not really the $5 we're saving that's such a big deal. I think it's more so you can say to yourself and/or others, "Look, I got this brand new release for only $10 !" What I'm still wondering is where these crowds will come from tomorrow if most people should be at work and kids at school by the time TRU opens.

I've never pricematched at Walmart. Can someone who has tell me if I can just take the DVD to the nearest checkout with the TRU ad, or do I need to go directly to the Customer Service counter? Thanks.
Old 11-11-02, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know if Best Buy will PM off the TRU ad?

I don't have a Wal-Mart near me.

BTW, what is Best Buy's price for Episode II supposed to be?
Old 11-11-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
Originally posted by MaXGTS
I think it's not really the $5 we're saving that's such a big deal. I think it's more so you can say to yourself and/or others, "Look, I got this brand new release for only $10 !"
nope its the money! poor student here

so walmart will pm with TRU. Maybe we should do it past midnight (if you can) then it will be less hectic. At least they didn't try to do this on Black Friday.
Old 11-11-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No riots?

Harry Potter for 9.99 at CompUSA

It's Deja Vu all over again.
Old 11-11-02, 11:36 AM

Its' just $5.00 people...... I would not be suprised if a riot insues on tuesday at Toys R Us
Wish I could take the day off and snip some photos of my local Toys R Us at Tuesday's opening. Now that's some true entertainment.

I'll never forget when I worked retail (shoe dept of dept store) how many people came in with shoes without soles or the top had been worn completely out, discolored and had holes/mud caked in them. They'd tell me they bought it "last week" and they're falling apart trying to get a new pair for free. No receipt of course.
Old 11-11-02, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by TheOne
TRU stopped reserving today. Called and asked and they said they won't do it. First come first served.
That's strange, I reserved it yesterday with no problem.
Old 11-11-02, 06:42 PM

I'm going to try to pricematch, and if I can't, I can't. My time (TRU is not on the way to work) and the hassle aren't worth five bucks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.