Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

DVDSoon - Others Having Major Problems?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-17-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 882 Likes on 538 Posts

First off, let me state that I've done business with DVDSoon in the past...they've sometimes taken a while to deliver, but have always come through. Anyway, here's whats happening...

I placed an order in mid-September for six items being released over the following few weeks. I checked the order status after the release date of the last item; all items for that release date were in stock...but the three previous items showed as "on order". Since then, all three of the first items have been in-stock, but never all at the same time. I've emailed them several times on the matter, with no response.

Yesterday, the order showed one item as "on order" - True Romance. (Which, I might add, had shown as in stock on at least two prior occasions) Last night, I received their email describing all of their "great improvements" coming soon. Today, I checked my order status, and three items show as "on order". This prompted me to fire off another email to them, asking exactly what the concept behind their order fulfillment system is - why does an item I've already paid for go from being in stock (and therefore, I'd assume, allocated to me) to "on order".

Well...now all six items show as on order....what gives?!? Should I cancel the order? I'd really rather not, as the preorder pricing window has long since passed on all of these titles...but I hate to throw away $120CAD.

Has anyone else seen their service take a major dump as-of-late?
Old 10-17-02, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another note...I've just skimmed through their site, and find that most everything is showing as "on order". Either they've got a system problem, or they've finally decided to take their DVDs (and our money) and go home - which wouldn't be all that surprising.
Old 10-18-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it's related to some changes they are making. This thread could possibly answer some those questions

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=244048
Old 10-18-02, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I’ve got six outstanding orders. Most of them have items that have been “on hand” because the orders are simply waiting for everything to become “on hand” to ship. This morning, as I do every morning, I checked the status of all my orders and everything that was “on hand” is now “on order.” The exception to this is The Chronicles of Narnia which has been “on order” since it’s release date in late August. I think there’s most likely a computer glitch, as their site does go down quite often.

I believe their new policy regarding shipping items as they become available doesn't take effect until November, so this “on order” business I’m experiencing today really isn’t affecting my orders at the moment, as none of them should ship until November.

And what’s going on with Narnia? I wonder if DVD Soon ever received any of these.
Old 10-18-02, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem as emanon. My True Romance being "on order" was preventing my order of 3 titles from shipping. Of course, as soon as is became "on hand", a different title on my order became "on order". This happened a couple of times in a 3 weeks span. I got fed up and cancelled the one title that was "on order" so the rest of the damn order could ship.

By the way, EVERY SINGLE e-mail I have ever sent them has been completely ignored. Calling has given me results (it starts in French, but if you hold on the line a CSR will pick up).
Old 10-18-02, 01:06 PM

I had the same situation as others reported this morning...however I just checked back and for each on order item under status it now reads:

Status is currently broken
to instate better reporting

So it appears this is part of the new system they are about to change to as noted in another thread.
Old 10-18-02, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by lumberjack
And what’s going on with Narnia? I wonder if DVD Soon ever received any of these.
Exactly my question. With the money they've already collected from us weeks ago you'd think they could head out and buy a few copies. This is a major issue with DVDSoon's standard operating procedure- not due to this "upgrade."

Re: Cancelling orders- beware!! Based on my experience, you will lose money. You will NOT get a full refund (how much you lose depends on hidden CC charges, exchange rate fluctuation, whatever).
Old 10-21-02, 09:35 PM
Cool New Member

It also happened to me. I placed an order amounting to more than CAD$200 to be able to avail of their purolator service (upgraded to express international shipping). I did not notice about their OWN release dates (different from the actual release of the DVDs, which is much later for them). Instead of having an express shipping, I ended up waiting for my order for almost 6 weeks. Everytime I checked my account, the ON HAND status is changed to ON ORDER status. So I decided for partial shipping instead and I kept on sending e-mails (more than 5) for those items already ON HAND to be shipped to me. They were VERY slow in responding to complaints but very fast in charging your credit card.

BY THE WAY, charging your credit card before shipment is NOT allowed by FTC (Federal Trade Commission). Source: http: pcinsecurity.com

Even for orders ON HAND status, it took them another week to respond before mailing to me. Good prices but poor service!!
Old 10-21-02, 09:42 PM

I've been trying to access their website today, but keep getting website not found. Anyone else having this problem?

TIA
Old 10-21-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Site was there earlier today (I now have a new and exciting assortment of four backordered titles!) but I'm getting 404's on it too, now....uh oh.
Old 10-22-02, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
alright question, i didnt want to make a new thread since this has probably awnsered before but i dont want to find a thread on it so here it goes

if i order from them or any site in canada, do i have to do something special with the bank or would the credit card company do all the work for me with the price diferences and all.
Old 10-23-02, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
alright question, i didnt want to make a new thread since this has probably awnsered before but i dont want to find a thread on it so here it goes

if i order from them or any site in canada, do i have to do something special with the bank or would the credit card company do all the work for me with the price diferences and all.
Your credit card company does all the "work." Just charge your order as you would do with a US order and DVDSoon will process a charge in the Canadian $ amount. Then the credit card company will attach its own conversion rate to the charge and your card will be charged in $US. Understand, however, that the conversion rate will likely not be exactly what is shown on the website as your credit card company will determine its own rate which will likely be slightly higher than the rate shown on the website. I always allow up to $1 or so variation in the price so that I can estimate whether a Canadian deal is good or not compared to a US deal.
Old 10-29-02, 12:28 AM

Originally posted by lumberjack
...The exception to this is The Chronicles of Narnia which has been “on order” since it’s release date in late August.

...And what’s going on with Narnia? I wonder if DVD Soon ever received any of these.
I'm finally giving up on my Chronicles of Narnia 3-disc boxset order at DVDSoon and placing an order at Amazon.ca. I ordered at DVDSoon when it was CAD$44.98 (currently at CAD$69.98) plus 4.99 shipping= CAD$49.97 (approx. $32.50 US). I'll ask for the refund to my CC.

I'm ordering it at Amazon.ca for CAD$52.46 - CAD$10.00 (10 off 50 coupon) plus CAD$5.99 shipping= CAD$48.45 (approx. $31.50 US). Amazon.ca shows it as in-stock (which may or may not turn out to be true).

It is just to painful to know DVDSoon has been holding my money for several weeks now with no dvds in sight.
Old 10-29-02, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDSoon has been shipping my partial orders since I got the email on their new policy. I got about 12 DVDs delivered yesterday from 4 seperate orders, including True Romance. Several more are on the way.

I also haven't had problems with them responding to emails. My Monsters, Inc came without the second DVD in it, I returned it for a replacement (which I've received) no problem.
Old 10-29-02, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got four out of six delivered yesterday....no True Romance, yet, though...
Old 10-29-02, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Narnia shipped!

Actually, it shipped last Thursday. I should be getting it today or tomorrow. What troubles me is that some of you are actually seeing DVD Soon’s new shipping policy implemented immediately on your pending orders. I have yet to see an order of mine partially ship. I wonder if it’s because all of my orders qualified for the XPressPost shipping, and since their new policy of shipping as titles are released applies to their Ground shipping, maybe that’s why my old orders are still being handled the old way. Or is their new shipping policy not contingent on Ground shipping?

Has anyone’s partial shipment been for an order that wasn’t to be shipped by XPressPost to begin with?