Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Have stores hired their holiday help for the Christmas Season yet?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-02, 07:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sure does not seem that way at my job. From the moment I step into my department at 9am, people are asking me to get this or get that etc.. I only work 6.5 hours a day. I'm supposed to take 2 15 minute breaks and a unpaid half hour lunch(which I'm supposed to clock out for. I work from 9am(store opening) to 4pm Monday though Friday. With the busy holiday shopping season a few weeks away, are stores even hiring additional staff right now? In my department we only have 3 people in the morning, We could use at least 2-3 more people to help customes.Sometimes I'm the only one on the whole sales floor(which is happening a lot recently!)my stress level is out of sight. I wonder about my blood pressure. If seems right now,I'm at every customers beck and will! I know we have more closers than openers but people are already holiday shopping. On the downside, I cannot stock the music CD's,DVD's and videos. Which means that the part of the department sales will go down.

Add this to the upcoming move to Idaho that my family are doing by the end of the year.

I love my job, I just wish we had more help on the sales floor.Are other stores just as bad as my store? Anyone know what going at your store if you work retail and care to share?
Old 10-17-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

By the looks of it, Aaron, that the retail sector suspects a pretty bleak christmas season at the tills, so to keep the costs low, they will probably keep the sizes of their staff the way they are.
It is a pain in the ass, I know. At my job, we have been shorthanded since june and it has gotten worse over the last month or so. Seems that the stress levels are pretty high everywhere. From worrying about working yourself silly to wondering if you are going to have your job next week.
Old 10-17-02, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, the X-mas rush hasnt hit here yet (even though x-mas crap has been out since late Sept ).

I figure after Halloween passes the x-mas rush will probably kick in to some degree.

I think its quite bad to expect a x-mas rush before Halloween, lets at least get the teeth rotting holiday out of the way before we decide to cram Santa and the "must have toys" down people throats (i am refering to Stores, not you Aaron)

And i wonder about the job thing myself, i am currently seeking some extra funds for my poor self...no luck yet.
Old 10-20-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most stores start hiring help in early Nov, don't they? That's usually when I start to see the ads.
Old 10-20-02, 12:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by renaldow
Most stores start hiring help in early Nov, don't they? That's usually when I start to see the ads.
My curent employer is hiring for the holidays right now. My department manager said that everyone see has interviewed wants to work in the evenings(and get the evening pay differential of double pay IMO). Of course that leaves the few of us working mornings getting very stressed out etc. I know of least 1-2 people during my shift who feel the same as me about it. At least they do not have a upcoming move to Idaho to deal with and me having asthma attack! but they are getting stressed out too. So it's not just me there who is going though this.Although I seem to be soaking up everyone's stress like a sponge.