Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

How to get Netflix Lite?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

How to get Netflix Lite?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get Netflix Lite?

I currently have a standard netflix account, but would like to switch it to a 'lite' account, as I don't rent enough movies to justify the cost of the standard account. How do I get the 'lite' account? I tried to start the cancellation process, which in another thread somebody said would give me the 'lite' option, but it didn't (just took me to a screen asking why I'm cancelling, and a button to finalize the cancellation).

Anybody know?
Old 10-13-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just log into your account and change your membership type, it's very easy.
Old 10-13-02, 03:57 PM

There's no option for 'Netflix Lite' under those options. Just standard and the more expensive ones
Old 10-13-02, 04:47 PM

It was a while back when I cancelled, but I'm pretty sure it's offered sometime during the canellation process. I remember going through several pages before it gave me the "ultimate" cancel button. I think there were a few proceed or continue pages before that and they stated that I would still have the opportunity to change my mind after clicking those. So you may want to run through the cancellation thing again.
Old 10-13-02, 05:47 PM

No, as stated above, I'm getting to the final cancellation page without getting the offer to switch to netflix lite, or anything else.
Old 10-13-02, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
your account
then
Change Your Rental Membership
I am on lite--i see 3,4,5, and 8 listed now
unless they removed that option?

hmm-they may have, unless they use it as a last-minute draw:
http://netflix.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...hp?p_faqid=141

Q: Does Netflix offer different rental plans and monthly rates?

A: Netflix does offer different rental plans to suit the needs of our customers. The standard plan is unlimited rentals with 3 movies out at one time for $19.95. We also offer a 4 movies out at a time for $24.99, 5 movies out a time for $29.99, and 8 movies out at a time for $39.99 If you wish to change your service, click on Change Your Rental Membership under Your Account.
Old 10-13-02, 11:41 PM

About a month and a half ago I posted that Netflix lite was there. It has most definately been removed from there site this month.

http://www.netflix.com/SubscriptionChange

Cancel My Netflix Account
Canceling results in the loss of all program benefits. There are no refunds or credits for partial periods or unused rentals. If you still wish to cancel, check this option and click Change Account. You'll still be able to change your mind at the next step.

Netflix Standard (3 out)
Enjoyed by the majority of our members, our popular Standard Program lets you have 3 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $19.95.

Netflix Bonus (4 out)
With variety, value and an extra movie, our Bonus Program lets you have 4 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $24.95.

Netflix Plus (5 out)
Ideal for members who want a larger selection of DVDs at home, our Plus Program lets you have 5 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $29.95.

Netflix Ultimate (8 out)
For the ultimate at-home selection of DVDs at an incredible value, choose our Ultimate Program. It lets you have 8 movies out at a time for a flat monthly fee of $39.95.
Old 10-14-02, 09:32 PM

Well, just to let others know, I emailed their customer service about it, and they went ahead and switched me to the 'lite' program (at $13.95). Not sure why it's not on their page anymore, but at least they were still willing to do it
Old 10-16-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just changed mine on Monday. It was there for me, but it said something like "based on your light rental patterns" so I wonder if it only comes up if they think you are a light renter. It was over a month since I had rented anything new--too many new DVDs to watch.

I have a question-- they changed my status as of the next billing cycle 10/29. I just sent back one of my three movies. Will they send me another one since I'm still on the old plan? If i have 3 out when I'm switched over, do they just change it when I send the third one back?
Old 10-27-02, 01:50 PM

Well, I sent an email requesting that my account be changed to “Netflix Lite,” and then received the following response:

Thank you for your message. We appreciate your interest in the Netflix
Lite Program. At this time the Lite Program is no longer available on
the Netflix site. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have
caused.
I am curious to know; is anyone here still on Netflix Lite?
Old 10-27-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I am; been on it for since June's billing cycle. Wonder why they dropped it?
I wonder if the WalMart online rental has anything to do with it. Their program is 18.86 or so for 3 out...I read an interview with Mr Netflix, saying they weren't going to compete with Walmart pricewise now, they were going to focus on service. I think I read that WM's distro center is in GA; I wonder which would be quicker to NC, GA or Netflix's in MD. Then again, 2 days isn't anything to complain about. Plus, I just hate WalMart : ( Their business is making enough money, I'd rather support the underdog, a groundbreaker.
Old 10-29-02, 11:38 AM

I started renting from Netflix last month since they opened a reasonably nearby distro center. I was originally a lite member when I quit over a year ago and asked to be signed up as one again. Netflix responded that they no longer offered the lite program. So I signed up for the 10-day free trial and canceled at the end. When I got the the final cancellation page, lite was not offered so I opted to terminate the account. I was then asked to make a phone call to terminate the account. The CSR that I spoke with immediately offered the lite membership at half cost for a month when I told him why I was cancelling. He stated that they're only offering the lite account as a retention incentive to keep people from canceling altogether.

So cancel your membership and when you speak to a CSR, state that you don't rent enough to justify the $20+ fee per month. You'll be offered the lite plan.

FWIW, I think that turnaround at Netflix has improved greatly over last year. I'm seeing shipping times of 2 days to NC as opposed to 8 days+ a year ago...
Old 10-30-02, 08:17 PM
Cool New Member

I was offered the Lite program on the phone as a last ditch effort by Netflix to keep me. Here is the terms of my membership as stated on their web site for me.

Your Program Details
You are currently in our 3 out monthly program.
Your current period price is $9.95 (plus applicable tax) which includes a discount of $10.00.
(Discounts take into account any applicable credits or gift subscriptions.)

Starting on 11/12/2002 you will begin our 2 out monthly program.
Membership fees are billed at the beginning of each period.

The regular price of the 2 out monthly program is $13.95 (plus applicable tax).
You will receive a 25% discount for the next 1 period(s).