Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

A GOOD Amazon GC/STL/Coupon Billing Mistake

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 10-11-02, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had yet another Amazon mistake made on my order that was placed with GC's, STL, and a coupon. Only this time it worked in my favor--BIG TIME!

On 9/26, I purchased a $50 Amazon GC for $45 + some FF miles using Milepoint, as I explained in this thread. That same day, I think I used approx. $45 of the $50 to buy 3 DVDs.

So, today I was weighing my options of purchasing the South Park Season One DVD & the U2 Best of 1990-2000 CD/DVD from Amazon.com & Amazon.ca. Since I have an expiring STL for South Park the .com site and the price is great from .ca, I was comparing which site would be cheapest considering the balance I had left from that prior GC, shipping, and currency exchange rates.

I filled my cart on both sites with the 2 items and applied the appropriate $5 coupons. Then, I see that on Amazon.com that I have $55.00 in G's & coupons to use!!!!

Either they never deducted my order from the original $50 GC or they somehow doubled the value (although it did appear as only $50 on 9/26). I don't know if this glich is a one time only problem or if it applies solely to GC's purchased through Milepoint. But you can be sure I am going to buy another Milepoint GC and find out!!!

I'm sorry if this post is coming off as if I'm gloating, its just that I'm psyched right now and I thought maybe someone else could get lucky. We know that they've made mistakes not in our favor when making "complicated" purchases, maybe the new trend will work for us.

Last edited by coreynyc; 10-11-02 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-11-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other day I walked into Best Buy and bought a DVD, and took the reciept back and walked out with a second copy...

Not really, but pretty much the same thing... Eventually, they will track the mistake down.
Old 10-11-02, 11:25 AM

I would hardly equate this with shoplifiting.

What am I supposed to do? Never order from Amazon again because they left extra money in my account?

Similarly, should all the people who got overcharged press criminal charges against Amazon???

Last edited by coreynyc; 10-11-02 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-11-02, 12:47 PM

I recently had an order with Amazon where they somehow failed to apply any of the discounts originally in the order, including Free Shipping, STL, and a $5 promo GC.

So I sent them an e-mail detailing everything and requesting that they refund $15.76 to my credit card. A couple days later they replied with an e-mail saying they are refunding me $20.76. I have no idea why the extra $5.

I'm an honest person and generally point out mistakes even when in my favor, but after all the hassle to get this (and other orders with Amazon) straightened out I'm not gonna do anything, for fear they'd screw it up again. I'll just assume they are giving me an extra $5 for all my troubles.
Old 10-11-02, 12:57 PM

coreynyc - I wonder. Did you actually purchase a $50 GC or a $100 GC to begin with?

Using the FF miles system you only get a 5% discount ($100 GC for $95 --- if you had purchased a $50 GC, you would have paid $47.50...not $45.) And then if you had used the $45 for your initial purchase and had actually bought a $100 GC then you would have had $55 left just as Amazon said you did.
Old 10-11-02, 01:08 PM

I made a mistake with the math. I bought a $50 GC for $47.50 + miles. I am certain that it was a $50 GC as I still have the e-mail confirmation.