Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Buying a TV at Best Buy

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Buying a TV at Best Buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a TV at Best Buy

I'll be going next week to Best Buy to purchase a Toshiba 36" Flat Screen Stereo TV. Has anyone bought a TV there before and how was the experience? How was the delivery of the set and how much did they charge? Any remarks would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-02, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I did. They asked a few times for an extended warentee as always. The TV arrived damaged . I don't know if it came defected from the manufactoror or if it had a problem in shipping. About 2-3 days later they brought us a new set and took the old one. Not much of a hassle getting the replacement but the fact that we got a damaged one in the first place kinda sucks.
Old 10-08-02, 02:39 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Simply say NO to their PSP. Don't fall into argument with them or else the store manager may accuse you of swearing and demand you to leave their store
Old 10-09-02, 06:54 PM
Cool New Member

If you dont buy any type of warranty even from the manufacturer there is something wrong unless you have a lot of money to spend to pay someone from 60-70$ hour to work on and that is just the labor, not including parts. The only thing that is better about the BBY warranty they will come to your house.
Old 10-09-02, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by DougA23
If you dont buy any type of warranty even from the manufacturer there is something wrong unless you have a lot of money to spend to pay someone from 60-70$ hour to work on and that is just the labor, not including parts. The only thing that is better about the BBY warranty they will come to your house.
You must work at BB or CC. There is absolutely no reason to buy an extended warranty from these places unless you are buying junk to begin with. Simply purchase your equipment on a Plantinum Visa and you automatically double the manufacturer's warranty. And if you are still concerned about repair bills you can purchase an extended warranty from Visa that is equivalent or cheaper than what these stores offer.
Old 10-09-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a gold Mastercard. That has warranties that come guaranteed with it (for a year, I believe).
Old 10-10-02, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

while normally i wouldn't but an extended warranty, when i end up buying my HDTV, you can be sure that i will get one for that beauty. i would hate to plunk down that much money and then in 18 months after the warranty has expired have it go kaput.
Old 10-10-02, 08:07 AM

I bought my KV27-FS13 there this summer. Not a big deal, told him which one I wanted. He pushed the PSP, I told him to drop the cost of the PSP off from the TV price and I'd get it. So he did, and I bought one. Not too much hassle, although those Wegas are damn heavy.
Old 10-13-02, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just bought a TV there last night. I just pointed to the model I wanted and the nice teenaged boy got a hand truck and got it for me. He mentioned the warranty, the clerk mentioned the warranty, all low key no pressure at all, and that was that. I actually did buy the warranty, I usually don't. After having a TV go south after 2 years, this time I bought one. If I spend over $500 on something, $60 insurance isn't a bad idea, IMHO.
Old 10-13-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, how was your TV buying experience, and how much was delivery / set up (carrying it into your house)?
Old 10-13-02, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by joe liquor
You must work at BB or CC. There is absolutely no reason to buy an extended warranty from these places unless you are buying junk to begin with. Simply purchase your equipment on a Plantinum Visa and you automatically double the manufacturer's warranty. And if you are still concerned about repair bills you can purchase an extended warranty from Visa that is equivalent or cheaper than what these stores offer.
what is this you speak of? I wasn't aware that there any warranty with it.
Old 10-13-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Heat
So, how was your TV buying experience, and how much was delivery / set up (carrying it into your house)?
I'm getting my set tomorrow and will relate my experience soon after. The Best Buys I go to aren't too aggressive about the PSP but I'm sure there'll be a swing or two to get me to buy one.
Old 10-14-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by renaldow
I actually did buy the warranty, I usually don't. After having a TV go south after 2 years, this time I bought one. If I spend over $500 on something, $60 insurance isn't a bad idea, IMHO.
I agree: I ended paying for a warranty, or rather I didn't really pay for it. Once I gave them my Preferred Customer coupon for 10% off the warranty was practically free. The delivery fee was $35 (not bad). The date of delivery will be Wednesday (48 hours after purchase; again, pretty good). I can't complain.
Old 10-14-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought a 27 inch toshiba flatscreen at the Wiz. I always get there extended warrenty. ive used warrenty's before with them and never had a problem. Same goes forf PC Richards here in the NE. If i ever have a problem with something from them, bring it in and they will give me a new working one, and if they on longer carry that model they give you a newer one. Forget Bestbuy and CC warrenties. They are for the crapper

capt
Old 10-15-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had my TV delivered from Best Buy on Friday, it wasn't really a good experience but everything ended up ok in the end. We had originally had the delivery scheduled for Wed. but they called that day and told us they wouldn't be able to make it (and that our shipping fee would be waived). It wasn't a big problem but we were having our other set returned to Circuit City (yet another horrible experience) on Wed. so now we would be without a TV for a few days.

Friday they came and delivered the TV, Best Buy doesn't do their own deliveries so it was a local company bringing it up to my apartment. The guys didn't really know what they were doing and slammed my new rear projection TV into the side of the back deck.... There were big scratches on the side and when I told him I didn't want that one he told me I should take it because he would have to pay for it if I didn't . Anyway, later that day another delivery guy showed up and delivered my TV.

A few hours later my girlfriend came home and told me that there was a giant box blocking our parking spots and our landlord's parking spot. I called the store and was passed around from department to department for about 45 minutes, the only one who would help was the guy in car stereo installation (god knows how I ended up there) who went out to the back to get the warehouse manager on the phone for me. The warehouse manager told me it's their policy to leave the box outside but they should tell us, when I said no one had said anything he again repeated it wass his policy and hung up the phone. At this point I was really annoyed, I live in an apartment and really don't have room for the box of a 47" tv but if I had known they were leaving it I would have told them to bring the box up the stairs so it wasn't blocking everyone's parking spaces. I called the store again to talk to the store manager and was passed over to the inventory manager who was supposedly the second in charge. He told me that it's their policy and even though they didn't say anythig about the box there was nothing he would do about it. When I mentioned the fact that the warehouse manager hung up on me he just started to laugh...... That was the end of the line, I told him I wanted to return the TV because I didn't want to deal with his store anymore. His reply was fine, I'm the guy that does that but "You know what, I'm going to charge you another $35 to have us pick it up again". I said thanks, hung up and called the corporate number - they were basically useless but placed a call to the store and left a message for the store manager to give me a call.

After all that I figured there was no way I was going to keep this TV but the store manager actually called and made things right. He had the inventory manager on the phone who apologized - the store manager then had him get off the phone and told me he wasn't done with him . The GM offered us a $100 gift card for the store, a free warranty and told us he would knock another 10% off the price. I figured it was worth being treated badly to get a new Panasonic 47" widescreen TV for $1200 (actually $1100 if you count the gift card) with a 4 year warranty .

Sorry that's so long, but here's a few tips.. watch the delivery guys when they're bringing in your TV and don't bother talking to anyone but the general manger if you have any problems.
Old 10-16-02, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by matta
what is this you speak of? I wasn't aware that there any warranty with it.
With Gold cards and above if you make the entire purchase on the Visa card (I'm pretty sure MasterCard has it too) they offer Purchase Protection (not sure on the exact name). It automatically doubles the manufacturer's warrantly for up to a year. All you have to do is call Visa (not your credit card company, but Visa) and tell them you want to register a purchase. They will ask you some questions and then send you a form that you have to fill in about three boxes on. Send the form back in with a copy of the receipts and viola! You will extend your warranty and shortly afterwards Visa will send you an offer for an extended warranty you can purchase.
Old 10-17-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Icculus
After all that I figured there was no way I was going to keep this TV but the store manager actually called and made things right. He had the inventory manager on the phone who apologized - the store manager then had him get off the phone and told me he wasn't done with him . The GM offered us a $100 gift card for the store, a free warranty and told us he would knock another 10% off the price. I figured it was worth being treated badly to get a new Panasonic 47" widescreen TV for $1200 (actually $1100 if you count the gift card) with a 4 year warranty .
Congrats!! Even if the store manager didn't ever do anything to his employees, at least he made you whole and hooked you up with a discount and a GC that you can use at a different Best Buy...

[sniffle] I love happy endings....[/sniffle]
Old 10-17-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the set showed up on Wednesday afternoon as promised. The delivery guys were very cool about it (i.e. didn't leave the box in the parking lot, etc.). They told my wife to move a few things out of the way of the TV's periphery so they wouldn't knock anything over putting it down.
Unfortunately, I made the assumption that my regular TV stand would accommodate my new gigantor set. It was too small, so the delivery guys didn't want to leave it on the small stand. When I got home I had to go to BB again and get a compliant stand for the set. We got a stand for $99 and then put the set on it by putting a blanket under it, and then lifting the blanket, which surprisingly worked on lifting a 350 lb. set!
So now I'm in business, hooked up the satellite and DVD player, and yes, the VCR, and it's all good. Me am happy.
Old 10-22-02, 11:59 AM

my bro just bought a 32 inch toshiba from thier, easy as they come, no hassles or anything at all.
Old 10-22-02, 06:15 PM

The experience I had was quite miserable. My parents, who had not purchased a television in 25 years went in to upgrade. They purchased a 27-inch Phillips set and the PSP. It wasn't much more and my mother is aware that her and my dad are older now and don't want to have to take chances.

When the TV was brought home, by myself and hooked up, the Horizontal lines were sloping down, from right to left a full inch and the color saturation was swirling green and red. Obviously the TV needed to be degaused, but needless to say out of the box myself and my parents were furious.

After 3 attempts to get a Best Buy technician out, one finally showed up. He was incompitent and shady. He attempted to degause the TV twice and if the problem persisted to call back. I wasn't there, but my mom noticed it was slightly better. He didn't attempt to adjust the horizontal lines and although the color looked better, when I showed my mother, the swirling was definately still there. He failed to give my mother a recept and no additional contact info. After 3 more calls to Best Buy Corporate as well as promises to call back that were never returned, I got on the phone and straightened out the situation with the rep. I told her how unacceptible this was as the previous two reps were trying to get a maintenance man back out here to fix it, that we are through attempting to fix it, I want another television. Swaped, not fixed. She understood and told me it was policy to have them attempt to fix it twice. I then threw the policy in her face, mentioning that the PSp states that if there is a problem with my set, it will be exchanged for the same model and if the same model is unavailable, a similar model will be given. She agreed and had it delivered in 4 days.

When I had gone on about the maintenance man that came out, she did some checking and found out he had been fired for many reports of incompitence. Needless to say my parents now have a better television with PIP and a sharper image.

I'll never buy any large appliance from them again.
Old 10-22-02, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sounds like my experience with a refrigerator we bought there a few months ago. They came to "fix" the doors which discolored (after two months!) and never finished the job. We'll be lucky if they come back to replace the doors.
Old 10-26-03, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by joe liquor
With Gold cards and above if you make the entire purchase on the Visa card (I'm pretty sure MasterCard has it too) they offer Purchase Protection (not sure on the exact name). It automatically doubles the manufacturer's warrantly for up to a year. All you have to do is call Visa (not your credit card company, but Visa) and tell them you want to register a purchase. They will ask you some questions and then send you a form that you have to fill in about three boxes on. Send the form back in with a copy of the receipts and viola! You will extend your warranty and shortly afterwards Visa will send you an offer for an extended warranty you can purchase.
Wow! that's awesome. I purchase everything on my visa platinum (for the sky miles). I need to start doing this.