Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Excessive shipping charges in Ebay auction...what do I do???

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ANOTHER Ebay question...Excessive shipping charges...
Hi. I won an auction.
I got the following email from the seller:
Hi, Shipping will be 14.05 (priority) or 12.83 (Parcel Post). You choose and let me know. If you want insurance, please add an additional 1.30.

Now, I just bought one of these and had it shipped to me for $6.65!
There was no mention of "Handling" charges in the auction.

What gives?

I sent the following email back:
Dear (name of seller)
Why is shipping that much? I have these and they are not excessively heavy...
I am puzzled. The identical tray I bought from a seller in NY cost $6.65 to ship USPS priority.
You did not mention any "Handling" charges in your auction...
Can you please justify this excessive shipping cost.
Thanks!

So...now what...
The item was only $9 BTW>>>
mini
Old 10-01-02, 07:18 PM

If the auction says :"Shipping costs will be actual USPS rate based on winning bidders zip code" then that is all they can charge - perhaps they are using an excessively large box? If the shipping they are quoting is higher than publish USPS rates then you have grounds to complain/report them to ebay for charging excessive shipping.........

for example shipping from 27601 to 90048 for a 3lbs package via usps with a package size of 10x10x3 comes up as $6.32 for Parcel Post not including any insurance -- so unless you are getting something that weighs more than 3 lbs and it is coming from a further away zip code it seems like they are trying to charge too much!

I might suggest that you ask if they will ship via Fedex ground -- which is usually less expensive and provides a tracking number.....
Old 10-01-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Especially considering the fact that priority boxes are free. First how long did you buy the thing from NY? Shipping went up in July and now it's zoned.

Personally I don't bid on anything without a stated shipping charge in the description.
Old 10-01-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From the auction:
Shipping costs will be actual USPS rate based on winning bidders zip code.
Hmmmm.
mini
Old 10-01-02, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's why i don't bid on anything that doesn't give you exact shipping charges. I won an auction for a painting about a year back, and the seller charged me $25 for shipping on a $20 painting. I had to pay it even though i know i overpaid about $15 on it.
I'm afraid you're stuck with the charges, Mini.
Old 10-01-02, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by minifigg
From the auction:
Shipping costs will be actual USPS rate based on winning bidders zip code.
Hmmmm.
mini
maybe you can figure out their zip code using http://www.usps.com/zip4/citytown_zip.htm and then figure the rate here http://postcalc.usps.gov/

then use same zip code info to check fedex ground rate here: http://fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en.

personally I like fedex best 'cause it has a "built-in" tracking system....

hope it works out for you.....
Old 10-01-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks kittee for the idea.
From the USPS page, the figures SHOULD be:
Priority Mail 2 Day(s) $8.55 Parcel Post 7 Day(s) $6.32
I sent another email attaching that USPS calculator page stating that I would be happy to pay for the item and actual shipping, but no more. I asked what she wanted to do.
mini
Old 10-01-02, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by minifigg
Thanks kittee for the idea.
From the USPS page, the figures SHOULD be:
Priority Mail 2 Day(s) $8.55 Parcel Post 7 Day(s) $6.32
I sent another email attaching that USPS calculator page stating that I would be happy to pay for the item and actual shipping, but no more. I asked what she wanted to do.
mini
YAVW -- it sucks when people try to overcharge!!!
Old 10-01-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by kittee3
YAVW -- it sucks when people try to overcharge!!!
or they are using a non USPS shipping service like Mailbox, Etc and they just assume that the charges are the postal charges.

the person might not really know he/she is overpaying for the charges.
Old 10-01-02, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Must be one hell of a tray.
Old 10-01-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd leave neutral feedback, if you are charged between $12-$14 and the parcel label is only $6, you're getting charged for the sellers ebay fees and/or online payment fees. That is not cool at all.
Old 10-01-02, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See what he says. Chances are that he will say that his original estimates were just that... estimates. If he sticks with his higher bid leave him neutral feedback stating that he over charges on shipping.

Then there will be a good chance that he will leave you neutral or negative feedback, just respond to it saying that it is retaliatory feedback from a seller who charged twice his posted shippnig charge. (his posted shipping charge being "actual" shipping costs).
Old 10-01-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, it cost me $12 to mail a 9-VHS box set to New York from Oregon yesterday at the post office. So it's not all that unrealistic.
Old 10-01-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Many sellers build all of their costs into the shipping price. They assume listing fees, final value fees, and paypal fees into the cost of shipping.
Old 10-01-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you think the charges are too much, don't pay. It's as simple as that. If the seller is trying to cheat you, just let him know why you are not planning on paying. I've done this twice and each time the seller lowered the shipping charges. What's the worst that can happen.. your ebay feedback will be lower.
Old 10-02-02, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Excessive shipping charges in Ebay auction...what do I do???

Those jellybeans don't cost that much to ship, do they?
Old 10-02-02, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As a rule of thumb, I don't bid on any auctions that don't have a fixed shipping price.
Old 10-02-02, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No shipping price upfront, no purchase. Pretty simple. Or you run into unscrupulous sellers.
Old 10-02-02, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by PunkYou
Many sellers build all of their costs into the shipping price. They assume listing fees, final value fees, and paypal fees into the cost of shipping.
yeah, this often happens. the seller tries to push all the fee's on you. though you have to also take into account the Handling in the shipping and handling. How much will it cost him to go to the post office, package the stuff up, spend on blah blah. if it's to much try to haggle. or get a rate on the weight of the item and just work off that. talk to him, it's the best advice
Old 10-05-02, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Agree with the others, I don't care how much of a deal it is, if there isn't an actual dollar amount for shipping I won't bid. Once you do you're pretty much at their mercy.

And including the cost of fees in shipping is one thing, and I don't know that I'm against that (if you think it's excessive don't bid, that simple) but overcharging by this much is just wrong.
Old 10-05-02, 05:54 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Half.com has a policy against sellers charging excessive shipping charges. Maybe eBay has a similar policy?

Moving to Store Forum.
Old 10-05-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 417 Likes on 270 Posts
The time ask about and haggle over shipping is before you bid. Now you're sort of stuck. You could pay and hope that that's the actual charge, or back out of the deal. If you back out though, at this point it would be you who deserved a NPB and negative feedback.
tasha
Old 10-05-02, 03:51 PM

I know that this is after the fact so it won't help you much but whenever I see something on ebay that I'd like to bid on & there is no shipping charged stated I will usually send the seller an email indicating my interest in the item & ask how much is shipping and/or insurance and how the item will be shipped. And I usually get a quick response.

But at this point the only thing that you can do is to do what you've done & ask for the lower rate and see what happens.
Old 10-05-02, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hi, Shipping will be 14.05 (priority) or 12.83 (Parcel Post). You choose and let me know. If you want insurance, please add an additional 1.30.
Are you sure he didn't maybe mean that the Total would be the above prices, with the shipping and final auction price combined to create those numbers? Just a guess.
Old 10-05-02, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
you have to also take into account the Handling in the shipping and handling. How much will it cost him to go to the post office, package the stuff up, spend on blah blah.
Handling is a farce. It is no different than the fees that banks try to tack onto loans (application fee, etc,) and car dealers try to tack on (document storage fee, etc.). The seller's costs are the seller's costs -- not mine after the price has been established. Those costs should be included in the price. Stores don't sell items for cost and then add on fees for profit. If a seller wants to include those fees in the cost, that's fine. Don't pull this crap of tacking it on at the end.

And as far as costs of packing, going to the post office, etc., that is a bunch of crap too. The video store doesn't charge you a fee for their employee having to walk over to the drop box and scan in your movie, do they? The grocery store doesn't charge you a handling fee for each item that their sacker puts into the bag for you.

I quit eBaying a while ago, but rule was simple: actual shipping, NO handling. Otherwise, no sale.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.