Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

www.buyritegames.com good or not?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-02, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never heard of this company before and stumbled upon their website. I'm wondering if anyone has ordered from them before cause I can't find them on www.resellerratings.com. They also have a "lowest price guarantee " where they do pricematch, and give you 5 dollars off your next order. Anyone know how good this company is? They accept paypal too, in addition to the other regular methods of payment.
Old 09-29-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 85 Likes on 73 Posts
They're based here in Raleigh NC; they have two stores, one on a busy strip and one at the flea market. I have actually bought stuff from them before [at the retail store]; when my first PSX died, they were the only place who had a pre-owned. The place is kinda creepy; they have empty game boxes on the walls, you tell them what you want, and the guy at the counter yells back into the back of the building to go get it, and the guy digs it out of somewhere. They do have a reasonably good selection, including imports. They are most notorious locally, probably, for having a 'bundle deal' when the PS2 first came out--the ONLY way they sold it was in a bundle, ps2, game, extra controller, for like 500.00. Got a picture in the paper about that fiasco.
While I haven't had any problems with them [again, buying from the retail store where I see what I'm getting], they are generally warned against internet-wise. Check out these threads on Google:
http://tinyurl.com/1p0n
The one time I did do anything on line with them [request a price quote, I believe, via email] I never got a response. Take that as you will, but the general opinion on the newsgroups is YMMV, but at-your-own-risk.
Old 09-29-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've never ordered from them but have gone through the checkout process until they showed how much the items are after shipping. I was going to order a game that was 43.99 and picking the basic shipping the total was 52.99! Then I picked the shipping option for NC residents and it went up to $54! And just out of curiosity I selected overnight shipping.... the price went up to $94. I've mailed several things larger than video games over night and was no where near 50 bucks.
Old 09-29-02, 10:34 PM

I actually had to get nasty and have charges reversed on my CC from BuyRite. I ordered a game and a memory card for my PS2. They sent me a confirmation of price and shipping. Shipping was kinda high but they listed the game and mem card in stock. The next day I get an email saying that they had to recalculate my shipping because of some computer glitch(questionable). Get this the shipping doubled(like $20 to ship one game and mem card). I called them as soon as I got the email, The items had already shipped. When they arrived I refused them and sent them back. They still charged me for them and I had to have my Credit Union reverse the charges. Not a very reputable vendor if you ask me. I would steer clear of them.
Old 09-29-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OH but their website looks SOooo good

Thanks everyone for the input and the advice. I guess I won't be ordering from them. Someone suggested "therage.com" but I can't find much on them either.
Old 09-30-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: OH but their website looks SOooo good

Originally posted by mytzplyx
Thanks everyone for the input and the advice. I guess I won't be ordering from them. Someone suggested "therage.com" but I can't find much on them either.
What are you looking for? Imports?
I've used www.tronixweb.com a few times and was pleased. They don't have a big import selection though. They just stock the most popular games.
Old 09-30-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, sort of. I live in Japan for the time being, but I want to order a U.S. xbox. Most sites i've found are either sketchy or charge up the butt for shipping. And since the x-box weighs 12.4 pounds, I've looked up rates with USPS and its about $64 to ship. Too bad most websites charge over $100 to ship a console, and sometimes just don't ship consoles overseas at all. I'm almost resigned to buying a "premodded" xbox from a hongkong retailer (if I can find a reputable one, haha), cause I want to be able to play U.S. games when I go back to the U.S.. First choice would be a U.S. XBOX of course. Damnit...help? Anyone?
Old 09-30-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do you have any friends or family here in the States that you could wire the money to and have them buy and ship it for you?

My Uncle in Thailand did this with me. He sent the money and I bought and sent it to him.