Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

No more Best Buy for me.

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

No more Best Buy for me.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-02, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more Best Buy for me.

I purchased a X-Box system in early August from Best Buy. I also bought the 2 year extended warranty. Recently I have had a couple of problems with it. It locked up on Madden 2003 and Spider-Man a couple of times and I got a message displayed on the screen saying something like "Please contact Microsoft customer service for repairs." That was about a week ago and it has played ok since then. I bought the new Lord of the Rings game and when it starts loading, it would lock up on me. I tried it a couple of times and it would lock up in the same spot over and over. I returned the game to Electronics Boutique and got a new one, only to have the same problem at the same spot. I called Best Buy and explained the problem to them. They told me to bring in the X-Box and the game so I could show them what was happening. They also said that since I had the extended warranty that they will just get me a new X-Box off of the shelf. Well, did that happen when I got there? Nope. The customer service guy plugged in my system and put the game in. The same problem happened. They put in another game, after the guy tossed my disc of LOTR on a shelf scratching it. After telling the guy three times that I was having problems with two other games, the guy continued to ask if this was the only game I had problems with. I then suggested to try the LOTR game in one of their systems to see if it worked correctly, but the customer service guy was too buisy trying to pull off the perfect flip in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater. After a few minutes another employee then suggested the same thing that I said and the customer service guy thought that was a great idea. The guy took THPS out and left the X-Box disc tray open. They brought it to their X-Box demo and they had to go through three controllers because they couldn't get the buttons to work correctly. Because they couldn't get the buttons to work, they automatically told me that my game was defected and my system worked perfect. They said the only way they would replace/fix it, was that if they had experienced any problems while playing it. They finally closed the disc drawer and tossed everything back into the box, I originally brought everything to the store wrapped in the original plastic which they threw away after opening it. I snatched up my system and game and went to Electronics Boutique where I asked the guy to try it on their system. They tried it and it played perfect. I went back to Best Buy and immediately asked for a manager. I explained the problem to the manager and he told me the only way I could get it replaced was if they experienced the problem while playing it. I told the guy that when they played the game here it locked up on my system and it played perfect on EB's system. They did not believe me because the customer service guy said he had problems playing the game on Best Buy's demo system and it was a defected game. After getting very pissed off and using multiple profanity words, the manager then told someone to get another X-Box system to try the game on to show me it was a defective game. Well guess what? The game played perfectly fine on the system they tried it on. They replaced the system and I then complained about the customer service guy scratching my game and not listening to anything I was saying. I also got them to replace my LOTR game with one of their new copies. I will never go back to that Best Buy ever again. Their extended warranties are a complete joke, the only way they will replace it is if they experience the problem and when they do see the problem they blame everything else.
Old 09-29-02, 02:38 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You may want to try another Best Buy store before calling it quit. Some stores are staffed and managed by morons. But some are by more friendly idiots.

Alternatively, call or write to the Corporate and demand a resolution. I'm sure there is some kind of contractual agreement in the extended warranty document that they will have to address to your satisfaction.
Old 09-29-02, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In the future go to CompUSA. There replacement is hasel free. I had to take in a PS2 in June and they just took it back right away and issued me a store credit for the full amount. I was then able to choose what I wanted. I grabbed an Xbox. It's now my #2 Xbox. 1 for the bedroom and 1 for the living room.
Old 09-29-02, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by eau
Alternatively, call or write to the Corporate and demand a resolution. I'm sure there is some kind of contractual agreement in the extended warranty document that they will have to address to your satisfaction.
Sounds like he got a new system and game. Problem resolved, just not as easily as he would have liked.
Old 09-29-02, 09:59 AM

Extended Warranty

Everytime I've purchased an extended warranty, the retailer has found some loophole so they don't have to honor it.

"Just say no" whenever they offer one.

L. Gosse
Old 09-29-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You purchased it in August? Then the X-BOx is covered under Microsoft's warranty. Instead of hassling with Best Buy, take advantage of the manafacturer warranty.
Old 09-29-02, 01:53 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by chanster
You purchased it in August? Then the X-BOx is covered under Microsoft's warranty. Instead of hassling with Best Buy, take advantage of the manafacturer warranty.
Let's see...

The guy purchased an extended warranty to cover problems like this and you suggest he simply use the manufacturer's warranty?

If he had done so, he would have ended up with a reconditioned unit as opposed to the brand new one he received from Best Buy.

Which would you prefer?
Old 09-29-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like you said, it is an extended warranty. That means that its real use is when the manafacturer's warranty ends...but its his right and if he had to go through 10 hoops at Best Buy and complained about it, I am just saying there is another way he could have gone.
Old 09-30-02, 11:02 AM

I have to say, I had a decent Best Buy experience on Saturday. Went in, picked the speakers I wanted right off the shelf. Walked to the front, gave them my 10% off coupon, only was asked once if I wanted a PSP and declined. Paid, and left. If only everyone could be so lucky.
Old 09-30-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Believe it no not I had a good experience there this weekend. we bought washer/dryer from BB, and they gave us free delivery (I told them Sears had free delivery on washers) and she only asked me once if I wanted the extended warranty. No hassles.
Old 09-30-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,332 Likes on 908 Posts
This extended warranty fully covers everything on this unit for the unit's lifetime as long as the unit is properly operating. Damage, defects, problems, or any other improper performance by the unit immediately voids the warranty.
Old 10-11-02, 12:04 AM

Normally, extended warranties being a complete waste of money suck and blow at the same time! I am regretting purchasing one for my 10-disc car cd changer and the dvd player I bought in 1998.

However, the time I bought the e-machines extended warranty with Best Buy, it paid for itself easily. Original e-machine I purchased broke down little after a year of use, and I got a newer E-machine absolutely free!

Who'da thunk it!