Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Beware of Your Mailman

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Beware of Your Mailman

Old 09-23-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of Your Mailman

Ordered Fast Times At Ridgemont High months ago from Buy.com. Have not heard anything for quite some time and decided to check the site's tracking. The status shows delivered (date and time and everything). So I ended up calling the postal service and give them the tracking number. The lady said they have no idea of the tracking number and that the number is wrong and that I should check with the vendor. She said the vendor probably used bulk mailing and that could take weeks.

Time pass and I decide to check USPS site and ran the number given by Buy.com. Once again the same info came up (delivered and for quite some time now). I call the local USPS and talked with the supervisor. She said she would check. Four hours later she called me back and said the package was delivered and denied stating that it was "undeliverable as addressed." And yet Buy.com was never contacted or received returned shipment.

Unfortunately, the sup cannot reach the carrier because he was off Mondays. The sup was going to call back tomorrow when she talks with the carrier. No packages in the backroom. Sounds like a crime has been committed to me. Thoughts?
Old 09-23-02, 03:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once I had a package delivered to the wrong zip code (as shown by the delivery confirm on the website) and they wouldn't do a damn thing about it They had no explaination as to what happened beyond confirming that it was misdelivered Fortunately the etailer I got it from was agreeable and sent out a fresh copy which came through ok
Old 09-23-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At least you found cause for the missing package. Wish it were that easy here. But I did checked the address and everything.

At this point I am getting a bit of the preorder anxiety. At this rate I may never get anything given that I have the same mail carrier. If the charge are true, heads will have to fall. I have contacted Buy.com and they have not responded yet. Isn't this a federal crime?
Old 09-23-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe your jumping to a conculsion that it's your mailman.. so the thread title itself is a little misleading.

Also, packages really never got to your place. it was Undeliverable as addressed. Get this, last time I sent a package to my girlfriend in florida, she never got it and it was sent back to me with that stamp that your package got aswell. I got the address down perfect except for one thing.. a Apt. #. now why should that be an issue when everything else was correct and it is the building and so forth? Well sometimes it just happens, check the address, if you live in an apartment did you put down the number? If your mailman was going to steal it, it would have been "recieved" or something. Chances are it is in the back room of a post office (your local one) or it is en route back to Buy.com. You should call them up and take it to Buy.com

crime? Maybe, but it looks like a case of just postage problems.
Old 09-23-02, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Maybe your jumping to a conculsion that it's your mailman.. so the thread title itself is a little misleading.

Also, packages really never got to your place. it was Undeliverable as addressed. Get this, last time I sent a package to my girlfriend in florida, she never got it and it was sent back to me with that stamp that your package got aswell. I got the address down perfect except for one thing.. a Apt. #. now why should that be an issue when everything else was correct and it is the building and so forth? Well sometimes it just happens, check the address, if you live in an apartment did you put down the number? If your mailman was going to steal it, it would have been "recieved" or something. Chances are it is in the back room of a post office (your local one) or it is en route back to Buy.com. You should call them up and take it to Buy.com

crime? Maybe, but it looks like a case of just postage problems.

Everything checked. Seems very odd. Actually, according to USPS site the package was shown as "delivered." The bit about the "undelivered as addressed" was actually from the sup who after checking with the back room confirmed the existence of a package.

As far as sending back to Buy.com how much time is an acceptable time-frame? I mean I did give them like a couple of months (two and a half to be exact) before I actually did anything. This is the first time I have something tangible to work with (a tracking number). Goodness I have ordered from Wizard and stuff before and never gotten anything and simply assumed it was due to supply (Wizard works so slow that it is often hard to backtrack without a nice commission and inside probe).

I apologize if I offended any postal workers out there and don't go postal here :wink: but I don't think I am jumping the gun here. Maybe you are right but a couple of months is a long time, wouldn't you say?
Old 09-23-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well theres something up with the package, thats a given. But I wouldn't be calling schananagins on the postal workers just yet.

So you checked buy.com to make sure the address given was correct and all? Now, if it was Undelieverable as the guy said then it should be somewhere. Talk to buy.com somehow and tell them the case. see if they can do anything or if they have anything in the back rooms that could be your package.

Hope you figure the stuff out and keep us updated.
Old 09-23-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Only problem that I have with my Mailman (woman actually) is that she is too lazy to deliver packages. We actually have 2 mailmen who deliver to my house. Whenever the woman is delivering, I NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER get any packages. But, just about every day when the guy is delivering, I get bunches of packages.

This actually started happening when I complained to the post office that she would just leave a slip to pick up at the post office, every day even though someone is always home.

Shortly after that, I think she just decided not to bother with putting the pickup slips, and just leaves the packages for the next guy to deliver.

(Not intended as a generalization towards women mail carriers)
Old 09-23-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Beware of Your Mailman

Originally posted by Rod Thorn
Ordered Fast Times At Ridgemont High months ago from Buy.com.
Now here's your problem, right here. I've had nothing but bad experiences with Buy.com as far as DVDs and Video Games. Everything from me not recieving a pre-order until a month later of the release date (what's the point of pre-ordering if I don't get it either on or before it's released?) or the item getting lost in the mail and then showing up 2 months later (which actually was a good thing because I ended up with 2 DVDs after I complained and they resent a new one that showed up faster than the lost one which eventually showed up and I promptly sold the other on eBay! Muwahahahah!!!!)
Old 09-23-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The mailman might have put it in a neighbor's box by mistake. I get my neighbor's mail quite often and they get mine. Fortunately, we're both honest and return it to each other when this occurs. I would check with your neighbors to see if they got it by mistake. Also, it might have been stolen out of your box. I'm currently having problems with some 14 year old punks messing with my box as they walk by. I just caught one of them today looking inside my box and had to warn them not to mess with my mailbox. So there are many ways for your package to disappear.
Old 09-23-02, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my mailman being Joe Sixpack wont take mine because he doesnt like the black bars so I dont need to worry
Old 09-23-02, 06:37 PM
Suspended

I see you got 2 problems here. One you purchased from bestbuy, one of the worst company in turns of customer services. Second through USPS, one of the worst delivery service in the US.

If you don't believe me just check out bestbuysux.org and any business website that explain the problem USPS have recently.

Also, if you've taken any business management class, you would know that distrubution process is a long, full of potential mistake process. To simply blame on your poor mailman isn't gonna solve your problem. Unless you've personal problem against your mailman then that's whole other issue altogether. But I would definitely check with bestbuy and have them send another copy regardless who's at fault.

I've done that and got another copy....... SO GOOD LUCK.
Old 09-23-02, 06:43 PM

psst, he said Buy.com, not bestbuy.com. Nice rant though. Some pent up anger, per chance?
Old 09-23-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my address is 7640.. up the block is 7460.

we regularly visit each other to exchange mail/packages, etc. UPS and FEDEX actually have problems with that as well.
Old 09-23-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
Ahh, USPS tracking. The dirty little secret they don't want you to know is it's completely useless. When FedEx or UPS deliver a package the deliveryperson scans it, marking it in the database as delivered. Ever see a postal carrier with a scanner? The postal service scans packages at the post office, then sends them out to be delivered that day. I was told by a postal worker I deal with regularly that just because it shows as delivered doesn't mean it has been. Unscrupulous workers could scan it as delivered and then keep it for themselves.
Old 09-23-02, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, it's interesting reading other people with bad USPS experiences. I had several bad USPS experiences myself:

1) Ordered 6 DVDs from Columbia House. One DVD showed up, but 5 disappeared. Call CH and they said they already delivered using USPS media mail. Beg CH and finally they re-ship 5 missing DVDs. Now the 5 re-shipped DVDs are missing too.

2) Rent from Netflix. One mysteriously disappear for about a week. I reported it missing to Netflix. All of sudden, missing DVD reappeared.

3) Rent 3 DVDs from Netflix. Return all 3 DVDs together. DVDs ended up showing up on Netflix computer on different days. One still hasn't shown up yet.

4) Shipped a hard drive to a buyer. Arrived at destination broken and unusable. Luckily, the buyer asked to purchase insurance so was able to recover the cost from USPS.

5) Went on a vacation and asked USPS to hold mail for a month. Came back and went to post office to ask for mail. They said they don't have any mail for me. For a whole month? Most of my bills for that month was never received, and it was hard to guess what amount I owe the utility companies.

6) For those people who live in apartment complex, you probably experience this. When a bunch of packages arrive, mailman will try to stuff as much of it in your tiny mailbox as they can, even if it will damage the item inside. Also, they don't seem to care if you can take out the package from the front either. They put letters and packages from the backside which has a larger opening than the front. So sometimes they put packages in your mailbox, but you can't get it out! Growl!!!

Last edited by mookiemeister; 09-23-02 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-23-02, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by RevLiver
Ahh, USPS tracking. The dirty little secret they don't want you to know is it's completely useless. When FedEx or UPS deliver a package the deliveryperson scans it, marking it in the database as delivered. Ever see a postal carrier with a scanner? The postal service scans packages at the post office, then sends them out to be delivered that day. I was told by a postal worker I deal with regularly that just because it shows as delivered doesn't mean it has been. Unscrupulous workers could scan it as delivered and then keep it for themselves.
Why don't USPS follow UPS or FedEx's example and only scan the package when it's actually delivered to the customer's front door? This will alleviate any speculation as to where the package disappear to.
Old 09-24-02, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mookiemeister
6) For those people who live in apartment complex, you probably experience this. When a bunch of packages arrive, mailman will try to stuff as much of it in your tiny mailbox as they can, even if it will damage the item inside. Also, they don't seem to care if you can take out the package from the front either. They put letters and packages from the backside which has a larger opening than the front. So sometimes they put packages in your mailbox, but you can't get it out! Growl!!!
Yep, and the magazines and large envelope items are crumpled or snagged and torn from where the locking mechanism, that they use to open and close the whole section for easier access, impaling it.
Old 09-24-02, 12:08 AM

I doubt your mailman took the time just to steal your package. I've had the problem you are having right now, package says delivered but jack **** is out at the door. I call the post office it was last at, talked to them about it, mailman was off doing his thing so they had to call me back.

So he calls, swears up and down that it was delivered, I finally give up and say fine. 3 days later the package shows up at my door, someone was hoenst enough to stick it back in their mailbox and underline my address, so odds are your mailman simply screwed up and delivered it somewhere across town. Unfortunatly you said you ordered months ago, so the odds of you getting anything back are slim.
Old 09-24-02, 12:12 AM
Suspended

Why don't USPS follow UPS or FedEx's example and only scan the package when it's actually delivered to the customer's front door? This will alleviate any speculation as to where the package disappear to.
Remember the mail price was just recently raised? It's going to rise again. You know why? Cause USPS is currently running a negative profit business. (From 2 hours special of C-SPAN) As matter of fact the post general was asked to resign, or "fired" for all the troubles. The bottom line is that USPS simply don't have money to buy every mail carrier with that fancy equipment to check every package at location.
Old 09-24-02, 12:33 AM

For what it's worth, I can sympathize. I pre-ordered the Blue Velvet SE from Deep Discount. After a month of it not showing up, I asked them if they would ship a replacement. That one never showed up either. I lived in the same apartment for a year and never had a problem, always got my packages in a few days' time, and obviously never entered the wrong address. It's now 4 months later and I never received either package nor has Deep Discount received them as undeliverable. I'm convinced someone took them. I can't say if it was the mail carrier, but I do suspect foul play.

On the other hand, I once got a tape in the mail that was postmarked 8 months earlier. Who knows what happened there?
Old 09-24-02, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by SuperJim88
Remember the mail price was just recently raised? It's going to rise again. You know why? Cause USPS is currently running a negative profit business. (From 2 hours special of C-SPAN) As matter of fact the post general was asked to resign, or "fired" for all the troubles. The bottom line is that USPS simply don't have money to buy every mail carrier with that fancy equipment to check every package at location.
I didn't know USPS is loosing money from their current operation. Does anyone know why they don't hire someone with a knack for running a company? USPS should be run like a company similar to UPS or FedEx. It's just shameful that they just keep loosing money with their current operation with the result so sub-standard.
Old 09-24-02, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This just in:

The sup just called me. Basically said that the package is still missing She also said that the circumstance is "rather odd" in that her computer records states that the package was "delivered" and then a minute later changed to "undeliverable as addressed " (Now we are getting somewhere since there is an actual timeframe of the crime perpetrated )

After having talked with my carrier, the sup said that the carrier said that she will check "the parcel boxes again" to see if by chance it will still be there somehow The carrier also said to the sup that she knows me by name and that she would not have left the package at the door which is so comforting to me to hear (I could only imagine what the condition the DVD will be in if was basking in the 110 Arizona heat all this time )

Still this does not explain the computer records of the whereabouts of my still missing package. Feel free to speculate but the sup said she will call me back later in the day or perhaps tomorrow when she finds out more.
Old 09-24-02, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(emphasis added)
Originally posted by Rod Thorn
I apologize if I offended any postal workers out there and don't go postal here :wink: but I don't think I am jumping the gun here...
Pun intended? Before you accuse the mailman, remember that chances are he has more guns than you. And he knows where you live.

Out of curiosity, is there any chance that other people have access to your mail, and possibly could have taken the package?
Old 09-24-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Heat
(emphasis added)Pun intended? Before you accuse the mailman, remember that chances are he has more guns than you. And he knows where you live.

Out of curiosity, is there any chance that other people have access to your mail, and possibly could have taken the package?
My postman is a she. And no she will not have more guns than I do (not counting the ones I buried in the desert). She can come to my place of residence but she will get a big surprise. But thanks for the warning. Now who's gonna warn the postal worker? May just go medieval on someone's ...

And no people do not have access to my box since it is a key access box. I am not special. Everyone in the complex has a key of their own.
Old 09-24-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't know USPS is loosing money from their current operation. Does anyone know why they don't hire someone with a knack for running a company? USPS should be run like a company similar to UPS or FedEx. It's just shameful that they just keep loosing money with their current operation with the result so sub-standard.
I think USPS got most of its money from letter delivery and that is very well being taken over by e-mail. I used to send checks in the mail for my monthly bills, now I use my banks free epayment system and maybe write one check a month. The only time I send out snail-mail is around the holidays. Their box delivery has always been up against BROWN and FEDX.

On a side note. I like my mail-man very much and he knows good and well all my packages are DVDs and we talk about them all of the time. I have never lost a package.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.