Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Half.com sellers - What do you think of direct deposit?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I was issued an ultimatium from Half.com the other day regarding direct deposit. If they do not send you your payment via direct deposit thy are going to charge $1.50 per check sent. This could really add up especially if you have a ligh month selling.

Other than my paycheck, I am wary giving an internet company all my banking info so they can direct deposit. Any opinions?
Old 09-18-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the same e-mail.
I ended up signing up for direct deposit.
Amazon.com and paypal have my bank info and I haven't had any problems yet. But I don't keep much in my checking account.
If you don't feel comfortable, you should open up another checking account solely for online stuff and not keep much money in it.
Old 09-18-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

$1.50/month is not worth it to me to give them my checking account info. I'll still take the paper checks.
Old 09-18-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been using direct deposit with them for a while and I'd be interested in hearing what people's concerns are for not using it.
Old 09-18-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
I've been using direct deposit with Half ever since they first offered it. They're owned by eBay, they're a legitimate company, they're not going to screw anyone. I've never had any problems and always get my deposits within 3 days of the email notifying me it has been made.
Old 09-19-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My concern for not using it is any attempt to withdraw money from the account. I don't want to open a 2nd account as I am a light seller, and I don't want to pay 1.50 for the check and the bank fee for depositing that check. It really adds up.

I've heard from previous posts that if a buyer argues delivery of their purchase then Half with withdraw the money w/out much or any notification to the seller.

I'm just too lazy to call my bank and ask if they would allow Half to withdraw money.
Old 09-19-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a light seller as well & sell below about $100 a month. But with there 2 checks a month thing, you might really get screwed.

Say you sell $51 by the 15th. They automatically send a check out less the $1.50. Then say the rest of the month you sell 4 bucks. Well guess what, that 4 dollar check is going to be light a buck fifty as well. Just doesn't seem like you can control it very well and you could get easily screwed.
Old 09-19-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought that checks were only paid after the 15th of the next month, whereas direct deposits were twice a month.
Old 09-19-02, 05:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
I have also been using half.com's direct deposit since they began offering it and I have never had any problems or issues.
Old 09-19-02, 05:27 PM

I have also been using direct deposit at half.com since they started offering it. I've always received my payments on time.
Old 09-19-02, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
My concern for not using it is any attempt to withdraw money from the account. I don't want to open a 2nd account as I am a light seller, and I don't want to pay 1.50 for the check and the bank fee for depositing that check. It really adds up.

I've heard from previous posts that if a buyer argues delivery of their purchase then Half with withdraw the money w/out much or any notification to the seller.

I'm just too lazy to call my bank and ask if they would allow Half to withdraw money.
Well, I had one buyer attempt to say I never shipped the item. I denied this, told him and Half that my records showed it was shipped the same day I shipped several other items. Never heard from him again and they never, and have never at any other time, deducted any money from my checking account.
Old 09-19-02, 08:08 PM

I've been using direct deposit with Half ever since they first offered it. They're owned by eBay
So is PayPal and they've never ****ed anybody, have they? Read the tons of horror stories.

www.paypalsucks.com
www.paypalwarning.com
Old 09-19-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Ditto...been with Half.com since near the beginning [you know, when stuff was actually half MSRP or less....] and been direct depositing at least 1, 1 1/2 years....Can't beat it...no problems. Don't have to worry about getting payment ninety days after the sale, or go to the bank. I get an email, I put it in Quicken, and then go spend it.

Another question for sellers: Do you leave feedback for buyers on Half.com? For Ebay, definitely, because they are sending you money kinda blind; but with half.com, they are checking out via Half.com, who takes their credit cards and verifies and does all that stuff. I assume I don't get the 'You've Made a Sale!' unless their credit card clears, so it seems to me that a seller leaving feedback to a buyer is kind of redundant. But I have rec'd feedback from them, so I sorta want to do them the same, even if it's just something hokey like 'Thanks for buying from me!'
Old 09-19-02, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

dtcarson I leave feedback usually something like thank you or a good half.com buyer. Always something simple and I try to note it's for a half.com sale not ebay
Old 09-23-02, 11:17 PM

Like many of the other posts here, I switched to direct deposit when they first offered it and have had any problems.

Only glitch is sometimes it takes 2-3 days longer to get your check posted into your account some pay periods.

Go figure!

Last edited by dvdirv; 09-24-02 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-24-02, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Funk
So is PayPal and they've never ****ed anybody, have they? Read the tons of horror stories.

www.paypalsucks.com
www.paypalwarning.com
Well, yes, but eBay only recently bought Paypal. They've owned Half for sometime now. And, I've been using Paypal even longer than Half and have never had a problem with that either.

Of course, in my 5+ years of using eBay, I've only once ever not received an item and once received a wrong item. Maybe I'm just lucky in that over 1500 combined eBay and Half transactions, both selling and buying, I've only ever had two problems.
Old 09-24-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay...you guys and the $1.50 per check fee has convinced me. I have switched to direct deposit.

I called my bank just to ask if a company with my info could withdraw from my checking account. The rep said that they could. She said that she would never do direct deposit with unknown companies & said that she herself only has it with one company...guess who that is - Half.com. So I will cross my fingers & hope for the best.