Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Borders not accepting manufact coupons?! (happy ending)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I was in a Borders this past weekend and saw that they had the Jackie Brown DVD for sale for 24.99. On the cover was a little sticker for $5 off at the register and a $5 mail in coupon which would have made the DVD about $15. Not bad I thought but when I got to the register to pay for it the lady said Borders does not honor manufacturer's coupons! I said huh? Why not? She said it was just store policy and asked me if I still wanted the DVD. I said no way. Has anyone heard of this before? Wouldn't the company putting out the DVD/ coupon have a beef with stores not honoring it? Without such coupons it's near to impossible to get any kind of deal at Borders so they're kinda shooting themselves in the proverbial foot methinks

Interesting footnote to this story. While waiting for the cashier to ring up my other purchases, I looked down at the floor and there was a crumpled $5 bill, I kid you not! It couldn't have been mine as I hadn't opened the my Great Leather Money Receptacle yet. I contemplated going ahead and buying the Jackie Brown DVD anyway as I now had the $5 Borders wouldn't give me but I didn't on principle

-Gunshy
Old 09-17-02, 02:03 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the $5 off sticker on Jackie Brown is for buying both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

Why would you want to buy JB for $25 at Borders? Most stores are selling it for around $20 anyway.
Old 09-17-02, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by eau
I think the $5 off sticker on Jackie Brown is for buying both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

Why would you want to buy JB for $25 at Borders? Most stores are selling it for around $20 anyway.
I don't want to buy it for $25, that was my point. It would have been only about $15 if Borders felt like honoring the manufacturers coupon, which they don't. You may be right about the $5 being for both JB and Pulp though, I didn't read it that closely...

-Gunshy
Old 09-17-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I got my PULP FICTION and JACKIE BROWN DVDs for $26.00. Best Buy had them on sale for $15.99 each, but wouldn't honor the coupon, either. So I price-matched at Wal-Mart and used the coupon.
Old 09-17-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy wouldn't honor the coupon? When these two were released they advertised the coupon. Maybe it has expired.
Old 09-17-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Borders accepts SOME manufacturer's coupons but I'm not sure what the distinction is that makes them accept / not accept them.

THe $5 coupon was buying both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown. When I told management about the coupon, they pulled them off all of our copies.

I got the J.B. and P.F. DVDs at Circuit City for $11.99 each after arguing with their management about the coupon.
Old 09-17-02, 11:26 AM
Suspended

Re: Borders not accepting manufact coupons?! (happy ending)

Originally posted by Gunshy
It couldn't have been mine as I hadn't opened the my Great Leather Money Receptacle yet.
Wait a sec - you have money? Dude, you need to step up the DVD buying.
Old 09-17-02, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That store must have been behind in their memos, as one went out to all the stores to notify them that the company was not participating in this promotion.
Old 09-17-02, 02:44 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I got my PULP FICTION and JACKIE BROWN DVDs for $26.00. Best Buy had them on sale for $15.99 each, but wouldn't honor the coupon, either. So I price-matched at Wal-Mart and used the coupon.
I got my PF and JB for $15.99 each at bestbuy with From Dusk Till Dawn free, and successfully applied the $5 manufacturer's coupon, and then the $3 BB back-to-school coupon.