Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Best Buy tells my family to leave the store...

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Best Buy tells my family to leave the store...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with the ghettoization/urbanization theory on service. Best Buy Manager Assholas in those areas think they are smarter than 99% of the people that walk in their store because they live in a bad area. THerefore, they believe their word is ALWAYS RIGHT, no matter how correct the customer's arguments are.

What underlies that arrogandce is that they also know that poorer/less educated people are willing to do take a complaint to higher management and see it through, so the managers feel like they can act like assholas.
Old 09-19-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also think that Best Buys in poorer/urbanized areas draw middle level managers who believe they can REALLY Make this a career, so they are afraid to do anything like pricematches etc. Richer areas tend to draw people who KNOW it is a temporary job and don't give a rat's ass about the store's bottom line
Old 09-19-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by dek
I probably would have checked retaliation for filing a complaint as that's what he was doing. Complaining about the clerk harassing him, then the manager making up a story just to get him out of the store.
?
You're right that that's literally "retaliation for filing a complaint", but it isn't retaliation in the sense that it's being used there. What they mean is that it's retaliation for filing a prior complaint, with the state/government, about one of the other civil rights violation.

That procedure is in there to protect against this sort of scenario: boss pays worker less because worker is black. Worker files a complaint with the state attorney general. Attorney general crawls boss, and the boss agrees to pay worker the standard wage. But then boss turns around and fires worker on some pretext, even a valid one.

The worker would then have a chance to turn around and show that the termination wasn't actually based on the valid reason, but was in stead a retaliatory firing for the previous filed complaint.

By the way, do you think the manager was "making up a story" to get the clerk out of the store? He was making a scene. He even admits he was making a scene. What more reason do you need to ask somebody to leave your store?
Old 09-20-02, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're going in with TV cameras and recording the phone calls?

Come on, forget about it, drop it, and start shopping elsewhere.

Maybe the guy was just having a bad day. Let it blow over, I'm sure he did.

BLAH BLAH BLAH...
Old 09-22-02, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel
By the way, do you think the manager was "making up a story" to get the clerk out of the store? He was making a scene. He even admits he was making a scene. What more reason do you need to ask somebody to leave your store?
Since this thread started, I was thinking the same thing. The more I've read, the more I think it's the case. Calling 911? Going back with a video camera? Dude, it's just bad customer service -- if that. Sure, it sucks, but it isn't the end of the world.

Here's the scenario as I see it through the eyes of the Best Buy manager:

[Best Buy manager at store in question]
So, the other day this customer comes into my store. Guy comes in with what appears to be his disabled mother and either a friend or a brother. They buy a bunch of stuff, but in the big scheme of things, it's not a whole lot, maybe $250 of stuff -- and stuff that's not even high profit margin, just normal stuff.

So, my employee at the checkout counter does her normal, assigned duty and asks if they'd like to buy an extended warranty. They declined. One of my best employees sees the phones they're buying and realizes that they have a very high rate of return, so he mentions they really should buy the warranty. Now, he can't say "these phones are crap and break all the time", but he's hoping they catch the hint. They don't, and one of the guys (I can't tell which one because I'm not paying attention yet) says something to the effect, "didn't you hear her the first time, numbnuts? She said no, and she means no. Don't make me come over there and shut you up."

Now, I'm paying attention. This could get ugly fast... and it does. My employee tries to disarm the situation and says "look, I'm just doing my job, I didn't mean anything by it." But these guys can't leave well enough alone. The guy (I'm assuming it was the one that orginally insulted him) says "Your job's done, and if you don't leave us alone, I'll make sure that it'll be done permanently." My employee is trying to smooth things over by explaining why he originally offered the warranty, but this guy isn't hearing it. Now he is causing a scene. Perhaps my employee could have done a better job of not provoking him, but I'll deal with him later. Right now, I've got an angry customer who doesn't seem to be listening to reason. I'm about to step in.

Almost on cue, he says "where's the GM?" I inform him that the GM's not here and I am the acting manager. He not so politely tells me to "get over here." I walk over, hoping that maybe by stepping five feet closer, he'll manage to keep his voice down.

No such luck. He launches into a tirade against my employee and the store and store policy. I can already tell I'm not going to get anywhere with this guy. I've been standing over there during the whole conversation, do you think I might know what's going on? You think maybe I heard the whole thing? I might work at Best Buy, but I'm not an idiot. I start to tell him to calm down or get out of my store. I can't even get those words out. I finally just say "get out of my store." He looks at me with a stunned look and says "why?". I briefly explain that he was swearing at my employee and causing a scene, and I didn't need him as a customer.

Now, I don't care if his mother and friend/brother/whatever stay and buy phones, I just want this disturbance out of my store. He won't leave. I tell him one more time to get out, and remind him that this is private property and that he can be removed at any time for any reason. He raises his voice again, asking what the ****ing problem is, he just wants to buy some phones. I want to tell him that if he'll just calm down and walk outside, his mother is more than welcome to buy some phones -- but I won't tolerate this disturbance. He won't budge, so I tell my chief of security to remove this man from my store. The guy whips out a cell phone and dials 911.

Let me break for a second. He's calling 911? Even my security guy asked the same question. Dude, you're just being thrown out of a store, it's not like I'm threatening you with bodily harm. I do this every day. If you really want the police called, I'll do it, and I won't call the emergency lines either. They won't be happy with you, and they will arrest you. You'll be more unhappy than if you just leave, and if you call 911, you'll be unhappier still -- there is a law against calling 911 for non-emergency purposes. Since they've already gotten you for one charge (trespassing), I'm sure they won't mind tacking on another.

So, anyway, he's threatening to call 911 and generally making a huge scene. At this point, the people decide to cancel their transaction. Great. Now I can throw them all out and be done with it. Maybe if I get mother to leave, son will go with her and quit causing a scene in my store. I make sure to tell them that once they leave, they are not welcome back in the store.

On her way to the exit, the mother mentions something about how this was her only day to buy phones and how she would have made the purchase, but her son is being treated so unfairly, and so on. Lady, my mother was school teacher, I've heard about every excuse, and I know the lengths people will go to deny that their child is causing any kind of problem. I want to tell her that if her son had just behaved himself, she would have had her phone and been out the door.

At this point, I really couldn't care less what they have to say, so I really don't have anything to say to them except "please leave. now." Besides, anything I say at this point only hurts me when he decides to write a letter back to my boss. He keeps asking what a customer is worth over ten years. I don't care what he's worth over ten years, it's not worth it to put up with aggravation like this, and the customers he drives off. Just go. He's still yelling and trying to get resolution.

Let me tell you something buddy. The resolution would have been to just keep calm, let your mom buy her phone and y ou would have been out of the store right now. Now your mom doesn't have a phone, you look like an idiot, and you're trespassing to boot. My loss prevention guy asked him very nicely to once again leave the store, pointing out that he wasn't going to resolve things pursuing the path he's chosen.

Guy can't take a hint. He wants an apology. What that's going to accomplish, I have no idea. I explained to him that he was causing a scene, and if anyone was owed an apology it was the store. He didn't like that one bit. Now the friend/brother is in on it too, and he's no better behaved. Ah well, I've had enough. I go behind the counter and call the police. I've made enough of these phone calls, and I know the police will be here in less than ten minutes. That's all you've got buddy, then you and your brother, and maybe even your mother if she doesn't have enough sense to get away from you two, are all going downtown.

I walked back over for a second, and the guy tells me to quit leaving and coming back every five seconds and listen to him. Oh, I've heard enough. But, please, humor me. Tell me why you aren't already out the door even though I've called the police on your disruptive ass. I try to explain this to him, and explain that I'm not going to listen to him unless he will stop sitting there swearing and causing a scene. He says he isn't sitting there, he's standing there and says the same things I've been hearing for the past five minutes at the same volume.

Fine. Hope you're not there when the police arrive. I go back to the counter. My security guy talks to them for a few minutes and finally they vacate my store. Lucky for them. The police arrived as they were probably pulling out of the parking lot.

I really hope they don't come back, but I'm sure they will, because I'm sure they want to talk to my general manager. I hope they don't forget that when they walk back into the store they are still trespassing. I've also written up detailed notes of this encounter because I'm sure that I'll be asked about it. I also had the tapes backed up and I took statements from the employees working the floor at the time. A few customers gave me their numbers just in case I need another eyewitness.

I'm really hoping he calls back.
[/Best Buy manager at store in question]

Not saying it went down that way, but I'm saying that it could. From what I've read, it seems just about as likely. QuAcKeR, I'm not doubting that you believe that it went down the way it did -- but that doesn't mean I have to believe it.
Old 09-22-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

At the end of the day, who am I gonna believe? In most cases, NOT a bestbuy employee. Sorry.
Old 09-22-02, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just read this thread again because I am a bit bored tonight and I have to agree that the whole incident probably began because Quacker started the confrontation by challenging the Best Buy employee about the PSP. This cashier didn't hear the salesman make the pitch, and if they don't say it, they could get in trouble. Obviously, if you just said "No, thanks" you would have been out the door without a problem.

I watched Changing Lanes last night and even though the movie wasn't very good, it kinda struck a cord with me - there are some people looking for a confrontation in order to get mad/pissed. Samuel Jackson's character seemed to be that type of guy. Quacker has obviously been an esteemed member of these boards for awhile and he reads what Best Buy is doing so he is hypersensitive to the fact.

I just walk in, buy a product and say no. That works 100% of the time.
Old 09-23-02, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Works for me also, chanster, and I've been shopping at Best Buy for over 10 years.
Old 09-24-02, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mytzplyx
At the end of the day, who am I gonna believe? In most cases, NOT a bestbuy employee. Sorry.
I didn't say you had to believe my alternate version. I'm just saying it's possible.

What QuAcKeR is describing is definately a bit out of line for managerial behavoir. However, he slips a few things in there like how he was ready to call 911, and how he tied up a register demanding an apology that wasn't coming, that make me wonder if the original events happened the way he perceived them happening. I also think he took a bad situation and made it much, much worse by throwing a juvenille tantrum in the store. The manager probably wasn't in the right, but QuAcKeR's reactions weren't the right way to handle the situation either.

95% of the time, nothing good ever comes from escalating these situations. Just say no to the service policy and let it die. If they harrass you too much (the reason I won't go into stores where the salespeople get commission), don't shop there again. If the acting manager or whomever is the highest authority that day gives you attitude, you say "thank you very much", and you leave. Contact his manager later. By not escalating the situation, or acting like a child, it gives more credibility to your account when you go to sell it to said manager.

If I was the GM, and I heard your report, I would probably ask my employee about the situation, and unless something just didn't fit right with his account or I'd had problems with him in the past, he wouldn't be repremanded, and if you asked for compensation, I'd probably ask you not to visit our stores anymore.
Old 09-28-02, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
It's no secret that even though they are not on commission, the BB employees have an incredible amount of pressure placed on them to sell the PSP/PRP's.
I worked for CC several years ago and this is true. A salesman might try to "overcome objections" once or twice, but this persistant nagging is definately uncalled for.

Originally posted by POWERBOMB
Tp stay in business, companies are moving away from the "quick sale" and more into following their policies.
I can understand this to some degree. However my biggest problem with BB, CC, etc. is that they only follow their policies when it is convenient to do so. There have been times I've had to fight them to honor Pm or coupons that they themselves have issued. They always try to come up with some reason why they can't honor a PM. I don't go to Suncoast expecting them to PM, because that is not their policy. But when I try to PM BB, there have been times when they will argue with me before finally doing it. Wal-mart is by far the most customer friendly store there is and I will shop there before BB any day. (They just don't always have the best selection of DVD's).
Old 10-01-02, 11:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
having read everyone's two cents on this, it's just credulous that "no thanks" or a simple refusel just isn't enough.

Last edited by Giles; 10-01-02 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-02-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've ignored the sales person before, which led to an awkward moment for him causing him to just let me pay and leave. I've said no 2 times after he tried his sales pitch. And after he tried to convince me again I just said nothing and looked away from him, pretended to read the package I'm trying to buy, then picking up my cell phone and made a call. That shut him up. Then he just wanted to finish the transaction and get me on my way since there were other people in line staring at him funny.
Old 10-03-02, 06:16 PM

me too

Interesting. I also have a Best Buy story to tell. But the outcome was good.

Last Sat I purchased a Digital Camera for my mothers birthday. The BB worker was more then helpful. So we decided on a $600 unit. Will accesories the sale was $780. When the clerk went to ring it up he mantioned the warranty. We told him NO. This went on for over 5 minutes. I looked at my watch. He was amazed we would not go for the deal. Since he kept talking we kept shoooting him down. He used an example that 'what if in 2 years your battery leaks?' My mom replied I will get a new one. I then asked how much was the plan. He said $100 for the camera. I then asked (knowing darn well how much a battery is as to I have one on the counter) how much for the battery. He said $60. So $100 for a $60 battery?

I then told a friend of mine who recently applied at the same BB (in the west side of Madison WI) and told me during the training the BB class teacher told them to do whatever it takes to sell the warranty. Tell them your kid broke something that was covered under the warrenty. He raised his hand and asked the teacher 'isn't that dishonest and lieing?' The teacher replied 'do not worry, it is a harmful white lie.' Harmful? BS. He quit in a weeks time.

He did go back to the store to purchase a low end DVD player. The clerk was very aggressive about the warranty. My friend mentioned he used to work here and knows what the store asks about the warranty. The clerk shut up.

What if a low income family was to purchase a TV and had a little cash left over. And gets suckered in the extended warranty? They could use that money for something of real vlue.

Oh, the camera I bught came with a 1year 3mo warranty anyway. What if I purchased it on the net?

I am about to purchase a DVD RW drive tomorrow and have my gameplan. I will tell them NO poiltely, if he persiste, I will cut him off and say NO. He if continues I will calmly tell him, if you continue I will not give you my sale and head to another store that does not harrass its customers.
Old 10-04-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: me too

Originally posted by Cheese Dip Groo
He did go back to the store to purchase a low end DVD player. The clerk was very aggressive about the warranty. My friend mentioned he used to work here and knows what the store asks about the warranty. The clerk shut up.
Good story Cheese. Hmmm... I think I'll try this next time. If they try to con me into a warrenty I will just smile at them and tell them, "I used to work for Best Buy so I know how this works." After all... they're telling white lies... why can't I?
Old 10-04-02, 11:53 PM

The thread that just won't die.

This must be a regional phenomenon. In my Best Buy experiences limited to Kansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma I have NEVER had a sales person/cashier mention service plan in anything other than passing. I have always politely said no and that was the end of that. As this seems to be a issue for other people I can only guess that they either push these plans harder in other areas or I don't look like an easy mark; either way no problems here. As for waiting 5 minutes for a cashier to give a sale pitch where do I start...I won't even go there, it won't end well.
Old 10-05-02, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I look like an Arab terrorist, so the white folks in BestBuy quickly ring me up and let me be on my way. I have never been offered a service plan; nor has anyone asked me if I needed any help. They then thank their lucky stars when I walk out of the store...
Old 10-05-02, 04:14 PM

I found an interesting site...

http://www.bestbuysux.org
Old 10-07-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by diacritic
I look like an Arab terrorist, so the white folks in BestBuy quickly ring me up and let me be on my way. I have never been offered a service plan; nor has anyone asked me if I needed any help. They then thank their lucky stars when I walk out of the store...
At first that made me laugh. But then it made me a little
Old 12-16-02, 01:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Cheese Dip Groo
I found an interesting site...

http://www.bestbuysux.org
That's a pretty crappy site, all he does is immaturely belittle anyone who doesn't agree with his POV. BB is a great loss leader, I use them for that and not much else

BTW: Quackers, what was the resolution with this whole thing?
Old 12-16-02, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
That's a pretty crappy site, all he does is immaturely belittle anyone who doesn't agree with his POV. BB is a great loss leader, I use them for that and not much else

BTW: Quackers, what was the resolution with this whole thing?

DOH! I must have inadvertently resurrected this old thing by mentioning it in a different thread. There was no resolution. Every time I tried to get in touch with management I was told that the person to talk to was on vacation... quite the vacation!

I just don't shop there anymore... (at least at THAT location)...
Old 12-16-02, 09:09 AM

I have been shopping at Best Buy for about 12 years and only one time have I ever had a problem. I bought a laptop pc for my son and the salesman ask if I wanted the extended warranty. I told him no and that I never buy them. He went on to try a second time telling me the advantages and I again told him no thank you. He then gave me this condescending look and then said "You mean to tell me you're going to buy this and not protect yourself with this warranty? I can't believe that!" I got a little bit ticked and I told him I do not have an extra 200 dollars (or whatever it was) to spend on a warranty. If you want to fork over the cash for it, I will gladly take it.

He quietly rang me up and I left!
Old 12-17-02, 12:27 PM

In my experience I had never had a problem with an affirmative "No thanks!". IMHO, this extended warranty is just a joke and I almost always decline it. Why? Products that are offered in BB are most likely to be electronic. I tend to believe that most electronic products, if they didn't die within the original warranty, they will have a reasonable lifespan. Once u get to a point that extended warranty comes into play, I'll rather just save the money for a brand new next-generation products. I think it applies to many computer products, such as hard drives. In many cases, I just can't justify the worth of the extended warranty, coz the technology advances so fast.
Old 12-18-02, 01:36 PM

I've been in multiple arguments with BB employees over service contracts, most notibly when buying large projection HDTVs.

In November 2001, I bought a Sharp 55" RPTV.. BB tried to force me to buy an extended service contract. Armed with Internet knowledge, I declined and then heard about 8 minutes of possible problems that WILL (according to the employee) happen. I still declined and got in some sort of argument with 'acting manager'. They could not fathom why I was rejecting it. I told them the more they pressed, the harder I would resist. I got loud, but the employees standing around trying to sell me the warranty didn't seem to have working ears. Anyway I bought literally the same damn extended warranty for $179 from vikingwarranty.com. BB wanted $299 for exact same coverage specs. Wouldn't you know it.. right past 30 days the TV displayed a line on the left that would not go away. After 5 home service attempts sent from the manufacturer (not anyone's extended warranty), the set could just not be fixed, so I got a refund 9 months later.

Fast forward to September 2002:
I check with the online warranty company and they said due to not ever using their warranty coverage, they would be happy to transfer the same policy to any TV I would buy to replace the Sharp TV. (bravo!)
I go to BB again to get a new TV with the 2-year financing option. I picked a Sony 57" this time. I get the same EXACT speal on buying BB's extended warranty by 3 different employees, one being a trainee. I naturally rejected it and made the mistake of telling them the one I bought online would transfer to the new TV. Oh my gosh.. the employee's eyes all got big and said such things as "it is illegal for the warranty to transfer" and "impossible.. I bet you $50 right now they won't transfer it". I told them I had a FAX indicating from the company that they would indeed transfer it. Again.. must have defective hearing. They insisted I buy their warranty. I had to get loud again this year too, though I should have learned last year that is useless. Finally they ring up the TV and tell me I will be back. I had zero problem having my extended warranty policy switched to the new TV. They even bumped the entire coverage up a year to reflect this year. (awesome!)

Fast forward 2+ months:
My 57" Sony RPTV is now exhibiting the "flicker problem" (as discussed in the SonyHS10 Yahoo group and hometheaterspot.com, etc). I plan to call Sony on it.. hoping they can fix this problem faster than Sharp could fix theirs last year.

I've come to the conclusion that if you decline the Best Buy extended warranties, after you leave the store, the following morning when the employees go to work an hour before opening, in their meetings, they enact some form of ritual curse on the extended warranty decliner. They curse the product purchased. Black magic has to be involved!

I hope the Sony TV can be fixed because I don't plan to go through this dance with Best Buy again next year too. I just wish 'no' actually meant 'no' at Best Buy.. not "I'm going to put a curse on you if you don't buy our extended service plan".

Last edited by BenCJedi; 12-18-02 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 01:56 PM

I see it both ways

As a former Best Buy employee, I can see both viewpoints to this problem.

More than likely, QuAcKeR started this incident, simply because he didn't want to hear another pitch for the PSP/PRP. That is understandable. I hated pitching to people who already said no, but in all honesty hear, on some items, they really are a good deal. Just let the employees do their job though. It's not fair to just cut them off. Who knows, they may say it covers something that you never thought of before. I also want to swear that I never made a single dime off of any PSP or PRP I sold. It just goes to the company. I used to always get the excuse "You're just trying to make money." Well yeah, that's what we do. We are a store here to make money. Believe it or not, a lot of the products that Best Buy sells have little or no margin, like computers. If Best Buy didn't make money, it wouldn't stay open for buisness and thus you would have to shop elsewhere.

Common Curtosy is something shoppers need to have more of when going into a retail store.

That being said, you are absolutely correct. The employee should have backed off. I always tried my best, but if they said no, then that was that. I never tried to push the issue, and neither should any of the Best Buy employees. They should have just thanked you and been done with it.

Last edited by Cmdr007; 12-18-02 at 02:03 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 05:42 PM
Retired

Originally posted by LupinIV
BIG BEST BUY SECRET:

BBs in ghetto/urban area branches have crapo service while the ones located in more 'upscale' areas are much more navigable! this is a FACT.

example:

Glendale, CA BB: insolent service
Torrance, CA BB: decent service

strange but true, so choose your locations carefully.
That's not just Best Buy, it's all stores. Ghetto/urban stores are more likely going to be employeed by morons that can't get a decent job and are actually doing retail as a career.

Stores in more upscale areas are more likely going to be more likely to be staffed by high school/college kids with a brain in their head, in most cases anyway, who are just doing it for some extra money and to be able to work around their classes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.