Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Is Ordering @Amazon.com Down?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-02, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot preorder the LOTR Ext. Ed. DVD. Each time I try to check out, I get the follow error message:

"We're sorry!
An error occurred when we tried to process your request. Rest assured, we're already working on the problem and expect to resolve it shortly.
In the meantime, please note that if you were trying to make a purchase, your order has not been placed.

We apologize for the inconvenience."

Is their site crashing maybe due to the increase in orders with their dropping the free shipping min. purchase amount? Anyone else experiencing problems ordering from them? I've been trying all day, and keep getting this same error message. I emailed their customer service, and haven't gotten a response yet.

TIA!
Old 08-26-02, 02:41 PM

My guess is it's related to their PROMOTIONAL GC problem. Just today I was switching over a MONSTERS and BEAUTY AND THE BEAST preorder (to adjust for free shipping with new offer on top off STL and 5 off 35 coupon).

I printed the final page where the GC was taken, pressed the PLACE ORDER button, then checked my order and POOF the GC was gone!

This same thing happened to me last week - I ordered 2 of these INTERACTIVE MONSTERS toys @ 19.95 each and a 5 off 35 coupon. I noticed after it shipped that the GC was gone!! A call to customer service was terrible - in my mind, I wanted THAT order fixed, but their solution was a $5 GC for a future order. Either that, or I could just DENY the UPS delivery. What crap!!!

I very rudely took the $5 GC but said I likely would never shop their again. I found some DRAGONTALES doll for 5.29 with free shipping and thought PERFECT - (my 2 year olds bday is in a few weeks). I place that order (with screen print of the .29 total) and POOF the GC disappears again! After deleting that order and trying again (LIKE AN IDIOT) it gave the error as you described above. I got this same error about 10 times over a 5 hour period last Monday. Playing around with it I noticed that if I did it without the coupon it would work ok.

Well, the next day I noticed the order would go through with the GC but NO MORE FREE SHIPPING! They dropped the FREE SHIPPING for all kinds of stuff 6 or 7 dollars or less. So my .29 cent Dragontale became 6.00.

But I was too worn out to fight.

Today I called about the MONSTERS/BEAUTY AND THE BEAST preorder (mentioned above) and they said they fixed it. But that was 4 hours ago, and the order is still not right online.

Last edited by dvdtalkfan; 08-26-02 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-26-02, 02:56 PM

Hmm, I didn't think this would matter, but on this order I can't place, I'm using a $5 promotional certificate I got from Amazon.com themselves for filling out a survey a while back, along with 2 $10 gift certificates. On my order review page, everything looks ok, it didn't notify me of any problems w/ my GCs and promo. cert. What is their "PROMOTIONAL GC problem" you referred to?
Old 08-26-02, 03:14 PM

Well, I don't know how widespread it is, but basically the problem (at least for me) is that the PROMOTIONAL GF disappears after ACCEPTING the order.

When talking to them today, they said THEY KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM and are trying to fix it. I also remined her that it happened twice last week and was basically called a liar (".....well, if you had put the GC on the order I should see some evidence of it on the account...."). For what its worth they were a lot nicer today than last Monday.

Maybe I just got lucky for the last 3 I did. Maybe they have some new MINIMUM GROSS PROFIT test AFTER the PLACE ORDER button is clicked. Who knows.

Sorry it's happening to you, but it's at least good to know that I'm not the only one. 8)

Last edited by dvdtalkfan; 08-26-02 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-04-02, 10:35 AM

UPDATE:

After going in circles with emailing their customer service, I had to call them up over the phone. The rep was very helpful, and the only way to resolve my problem was for him to place my order for me. He didn't know the reason why I couldn't place the order through their website. In all, a good customer service experience w/ Amazon.com responding to my problem.