Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Cannot cancel Buy.com "Monsters Inc" preorder

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I've just spent the last 20 minutes trying to cancel my Monsters Inc pre-order with buy.com. The site keeps saying it's unable to process my cancellation. I've emailed customer support about it, I mean the DVD is not even available for what, three more weeks?

I've decided to go with the Blockbuster deal, since it's overall a better value. ($30.00 DVD plus up to $40 in rentals for $25.00).
Old 08-20-02, 02:40 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buy.com sucks. They won't allow cancellation after you place an order.
Old 08-20-02, 06:29 PM

I vollied E-mails with them for 6 weeks at Christmas trying to cancel Moulin Rouge. I just kept getting some stupid crap about their inventory. I finally ended up giving the DVD to my brother and I never shop there anymore, no matter how good the deal looks.

They don't care how far away the release date is or how quickly you try to cancel the order, or how many times you have bought there before, no exceptions.

Biggest bunch of hiney holes ever.
Old 08-21-02, 01:24 AM

More than a year ago, Buy.com was my online vendor of choice. But then strange things began to happen:

1) Prices went up
2) No more phone customer service
3) Increased shipping charges
4) Added sales tax
5) Included shipping charges in tax computation

I occasionally check their prices and I find that at one time their prices were the lowest, they now are the highest. I saw all of that as a sign that I should be doing business elsewhere.

Now I don't have to worry about cancelling orders!

Last edited by dvdirv; 08-24-02 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-21-02, 11:46 AM

Yeah, I had the same problem with something that was out of stock (of course I didn't know this until AFTER I ordered - before then it read as IN STOCK)...they have information on their site that specifically says you can cancel any out of stock item you have ordered prior to it being shipped...

FAT CHANCE! I e-mailed them about a dozen times a two week period and they kept giving me the run around...they eventually shipped the item to me - SIX WEEKS after I had ordered it!

Needless to say, that was my last dealings with them.
Old 08-21-02, 11:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Difficulty in cancelling orders is the #1 reason I stopped using Buy.com. I don't order from ANY e-retailer that doesn't allow you to cancel orders directly from the webpage (without sending an email, calling, etc).
Old 08-21-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should inform your credit card company that this retailer is refusing to cancel an order. It's not like the item has entered the shipping process... it won't ship for a month still. There's no reason why they shouldn't immediately cancel your order.

I too have stopped shopping at Buy.com over a year ago for many of the various reasons already mentioned.
Old 08-21-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is exactly why I stopped using Buy.com. I had preordered Soprano's season 1 with them (the last thing I ever ordered from their sorry site) and, like you, found a better deal at a B&M that could not be beat. Tho it was like a whole month before it came out, apparently the DVD had entered the "shipping process" and they could not cancel it. Buy.com sucks it hard and long, that's for sure. I see they are up to their same old tricks. It amazes me that anybody still uses them. I wish they would just go out of business.
Old 08-21-02, 03:56 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have never been able to use a coupon at Buy. They all have that fine print about having to buy items that are "in stock" only. So no pre-orders count, and everything I want never seems to be in stock. They had a sale on WB DVD's once a while ago. I needed to find $100 worth of WB DVD's to get $10 off the order. I looked through the WB catalogue and found 18 DVD's that I would be willing to buy. 16 were not in stock, so I couldn't use the coupon. I never went back again.
Old 08-21-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
never had any problems with them. best dvd site availible (sorry guys for the problems.)
Old 08-23-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. I don't know what the problem is - I cancelled Monster's Inc on-line last Thursday and received a confirmation of cancellation on Friday. No problems at all.
Old 08-23-02, 03:58 PM

The surest way to get buy.com to SHIP something to you was to try and cancel it
Old 08-24-02, 02:28 PM

RonG617 is right about their coupons When I ordered regularly from Buy.com, they were routinely giving out 20% coupons ($30 off $150 orders, $20 off $100 orders.)

Then they lowered the discount and stipulated that everything had to be IN STOCK. So I couldn't use a coupon for any pre-orders.

Add this reason to my 5 others above and you can see why I just don't need Buy.com, when other vendors have better offers and have real phone customer service if you have a problem!