Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

CompUSA trying to ruin competition?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-02, 04:21 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a serious thought that I just noticed. I picked up Simpsons Season 2 @ Best Buy today for 29.99 after a price match from CompUSA. My thought is maybe CompUSA has these low prices for a reason? All the really low deals I've seen from Comp have happened a week after a DVD was released... which would be after CC and BB would already have had their own deals. Could Comp be doing these deals and taking a small loss with the thought that after they run out of the DVD people will go to BB and CC and use the price match to make them sell it for a lot less than MSRP?

Just a thought and I'm sure I'm not the first one to have it... but I couldn't find anything in a search
Old 08-11-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think its solely just to force Circuit City and Best Buy to price match, since CompUSA never has the item in anyways.
Old 08-11-02, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually...CompUSA is hurting themselves! Each time they sell that DVD, there taking a loss. I work for Best Buy and the only way we price match is if CompUSA has that product IN STOCK. CompUSA is only hurting themselves because the big stores (BB and CC) can afford to take a loss like that, CompUSA doesn't. I know this because my friend is the manager of a CompUSA and has told me so!
Old 08-11-02, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering they never have more than two or three copies of the sale DVDs I doubt they are hurting themselves much.
Old 08-11-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Originally posted by Snowmaker
I think its solely just to force Circuit City and Best Buy to price match, since CompUSA never has the item in anyways.
I agree Snowmaker. The Orange, CT. store did not have it in stock when I called today and FYE matched the price.
Old 08-11-02, 07:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Moving to Store Forum.
Old 08-12-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would guess that the percentage of customers who actually go back and price match is small. Readers of this forum are tuned into bargains, but let's face it, we're a minority.
Old 08-12-02, 01:28 PM
Uber Member

CompUSA recently added home theater sections to their stores...the low prices are meant to lure people into their new HT section.

They're using these DVDs as loss leaders, that's all.

-David