Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

AT&T contract on Amazon.com Question

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-28-02, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda off topic, mods im sorry!

right now i want to cancel my phone from AT&T from which i ordered from amazon.com, but the thing is i know there is a cancelation fee charged by AT&T if i cancel, but does anyone know if Amazon.com will charge me a fee as well for breaking my contract?? thanks in advance
Old 07-28-02, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well, think of it this way, if you buy a phone from Bestbuy, do they charge a fee when you cancel? Your contract is between you and AT&T not Amazon.com (unless i'm mistaken, i've never bought a phone from amazon...)
Old 07-28-02, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my phone from Amazon, and it's exactly as Ben732 says. They are just a retailer, the contract is between you and AT&T. Becareful about cancelling w/ AT&T, though. From my experience the total in penalties and fees can work out to be about the same cost as if you'd kept and paid the contract to the end.
Old 07-28-02, 12:46 PM

right now, you can get out of the att contract because they are implementing a new 30 sec policy and charging 1.25 for directory assistance, soo if you don't like that new policy, you can call them up and cancel, that is why im asking you guys,.. umm.. to read more about this.. go to

http://www.howardforums.com .. it'll have all the details..

thanks again guys! you are the best!!
Old 07-28-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kitkit201
right now, you can get out of the att contract because they are implementing a new 30 sec policy and charging 1.25 for directory assistance, soo if you don't like that new policy, you can call them up and cancel, that is why im asking you guys,.. umm.. to read more about this.. go to

http://www.howardforums.com .. it'll have all the details..

thanks again guys! you are the best!!
I don't think Amazon will charge you, since the contract was with ATT and not Amazon. But to be safe, call up Amazon's customer service (1-800-201-7575) or better yet call Amazon's CELLULAR service line (1-866-232-9681 not open sunday) and ask them.
Old 07-29-02, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
since they are altering the terms of the original contract they have to let you out of the contract if you ask to get out.

unless Amazon is willing to continue the contract terms as agreed when you electronically agreed to the terms they have no choice.

you do not think AT&T is letting people out of contracts out of the goodness of their hearts do you.

call to see what amazon says however remind them that the terms of the contract is being changed on you if they say you owe them anything. and demand that they live up to the original terms.

I bet they tell you it is between you and At&T however.
Old 07-29-02, 09:58 PM

Just so you guys know.. some stores DO charge you if you cancel your contract early. Usually it's the smaller wireless outlets, especially in NYC, but I'm guessing that MAYBE the small mom-and-pop wireless shops in the malls also do this.

With some of these places, you get a VERY good deal on the phone, because they're banking on getting a commission from AT&T/Verizon/etc for signing up a new customer. Usually, they'll make you sign a SECOND contract, separate from your wireless provider, that says that you agree to a $200 (or whatever) fee if you cancel within 6 months (or a year). This is to cover themselves if you cancel early and don't give them time to recoup their money via commissions.

Granted, Amazon probably does not have a second contract for you to sign (although I can't say for sure that they DON'T have that second contract in the fine print).. However, I just wanted you guys to know that these penalties DO EXIST, depending on where you get your phone from.