Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

best site for pre orders?

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 07-21-02, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was gonna pre order the simpsons and was wondering what if any stores that will get the dvd's to my house on release day?
Old 07-21-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
DDD usually does but they've been having problems lately. I think DVDempire gets it to you by release date but I've never used them so I wouldn't know. Amazon rarely gets it to me by release
Old 07-29-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
How does CDnow do in this department?
Anyone know?
Old 07-29-02, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by uteotw
Anyone know?

I always get my CDNow preorders on or before the release date.
Old 07-29-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last time I looked a a preorder at DVD Empire the page stated that they ship all pre-orders as soon as they get them in stock. So, this would suggest they send them out before street date. Although I do love how BB lowers the prices the last weekend before street date on some titles like Resident Evil.
Old 07-29-02, 04:59 PM

That's why I pick and choose what I pre-order and what I go to a B&M for. If it's something popular like RE or LOTR, I'm pretty certain I'll find the lowest price at BB or CC. If it's something boarderline on if it's popular, I'll wait to order until I see what the BB and CC ads have on sale for that week, and order online if I need to.
Old 07-29-02, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
DVD Planet and DVD Empire are the best places online for pre-orders.They usually both start shipments on the Friday prior to the release date(If in stock) and If they don't have them in stock and you are in a big rush to get them just cancel the order and buy it locally.
Old 07-29-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Anyone know?
When I ordered Better Off Dead from them it arrived three days after the street date. We'll see if Speed gets here tomorrow or if I have to wait for that one too. I cancelled my remaining preorders with them and went back to DDD (I always got my preorders from them the Saturday before street date).
Old 07-30-02, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
CDNow Preorders

Thanks for the info. on CDNow, Red Dog and lisadoris. I preordered The Sopranos Season 3 from them for $60.48 (total) and the only thing holding me back was deciding if I could wait to possibly get it AFTER the street date. Hope it arrives before or at LEAST on! Let me know how your Speed works out!
Old 07-30-02, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Re: CDNow Preorders

Thanks for the info. on CDNow, Red Dog and lisadoris. I preordered The Sopranos Season 3 from them for $60.48 (total) and the only thing holding me back was deciding if I could wait to possibly get it AFTER the street date. Hope it arrives before or at LEAST on! Let me know how your Speed works out!

I have V: The Final Battle, Star Trek II CE, and Simpson Season 2 on preorder from CDNow which are released next Tuesday. If I can remember, I'll come back to this thread & let you know when I get them.
Old 07-31-02, 12:48 AM

Rather than create an entirely new thread...

The only online pre-orders I've done (hey I'm still kinda new at this) were with DDD, and I had all three of those the Saturday before the street date. I have an order for LotR and STII pending at DVDEmpire, and I splurged for Overnight shipping. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

New goodness:

Well, I've got my shipping confirmation from DVDE, and it looks like I'm suppose to receive it tomorrow, and it went priority overnight, which means I should theoretically have it before 10:30. Which of course is better in theory than practice.

Anyway, how typical is this of DVDE? I know we're all a little hesistant to order from DDD of late, but I have to say, getting orders Saturday with free shipping is better than getting them Monday with about $15 in shipping. I know getting the discs before the street date is a bonus, not a guarantee, but that's one of the reasons I buy online instead of stopping by BestBuy on the release date. Well, that, and I don't have to go to BestBuy.

Last edited by starri; 08-05-02 at 12:21 AM.