Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Expected Life Span of DVDSoon.com?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-02, 01:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am curious on peoples' input to this. I saw earlier today that they have really low prices for Back to the Future Trilogy (~25 shipped w/combination of items) and wanted to purchase this from them. But I am skeptical about this, because of others' experience with them. And since BTTF comes out in December I am very wary of them going bankrupt between now and then. Since they charge your credit card right away, not when it is shipped. I don't want to end up being stuck with a charge that would have already been paid off, for some movies that I will never get in this situation. Please chime in with any opions or information.
Old 07-15-02, 01:21 AM

Im sure you can get a good price when this gets released or you can always get the R4 version out August 21st
Old 07-15-02, 01:37 AM
Banned

Not what i asked, but thanks. And I doubt the price will go this low over 50% under msrp.
Old 07-15-02, 01:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the price will be the same for months. You never know, the price may drop more somewhere else, regardless of the min. suggested advertised price.
Old 07-15-02, 01:39 AM

well take the risk then and if it goes sour you only have yourself to blame
Old 07-15-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Geez, through 12 orders, I've never had a problem with this company. Yeah, they charge up front but that locks in the price (which does fluctuate).

I don't see any signs that this company is headed toward bankruptcy but if you're uncomfortable, don't order.

I know December is quite a bit aways, but I (and others ) have taken the plunge.

You could always try them on something that is about to be released as a test.

My FLINT DVDs shipped last Wednesday I believe and so I should have them today if their usual shipping trends hold current.
Old 07-15-02, 09:47 PM

Don't forget Canadian MSRPs are much lower than US prices. Many canny DVD buyers have known this for a while.

Although I have Monsters Inc on pre-order there, I would feel uneasy about pre-ordering that for out for something more expensive with a release date further out (if DVDSoon go belly up between now and September, I'll be out about $C18.70 ($US12). That ranks as live and learn money).

Just think of the extra $5 you may have to spend as peace of mind money.
Old 07-16-02, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Personally I wouldn't preorder from any company that immediately charges your credit card regardless of how cheap their prices. Why put yourself into a potentially risky situation. I have seen too many of these online stores go out of business with little or no warning.
Old 07-16-02, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was a bit surprised about the two recent threads that have popped up regarding DVDSoon.com.

I can't believe the amount of people that were upset about their CC being charged right away. It's one the webpage folks. It wasn't some kind of hidden evil that they didn't tell anyone about. It's might be risky to pay now and wait but for 13.00 DVDs I'll take this chance.

Anyway....after seeing these threads I figured I'd e-mail DVDSoon.com and invite them to join the board and respond to the threads that invlolved them and their stability. They might not come here but I'm glad they responded to my e-mail. Here is that I got:

Dear Sir,

We thank you for your vigilence and cooperation. We will look into the
matter by curiosity. But the fact of the matter is, usually, they are
people who do not read our policies, then contact our customer support
that "enlightens" them and they get frustrated because they know the fault
is not ours. Since this is the only way they can vent their frustration,
we let them do so with composure and we try to make our own path in this
sea of chaos and retribution. Clients that are nice to us encourage us to
be nice to them. We try to act as professionnally and as calmly as
possible, though sometimes, it is not easy, trust me. A sage once said:
"You will have more chance to attract bees with honey than vinegar." Also,
as an encouragement, our sales are up each day. So if a few miscontent
feed on their anger, we will let them do so at their leisure.
As for your faith, we are grateful that you saw our point. You do
understand that with that much demand for those title, it may be a while
before everyone is served, but our team take all the necessary actions to
expedite the matter.
We thank you for your comprehension and cooperation.
If you should need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again.
Have a nice day.
Old 07-16-02, 11:14 AM
Banned

Hehhee, time to flame on their eMail that was intended to shed light to the issue, which it really didn't. Not that their sentiment is not genuine, but it is misplaced to say the least.

The tone of the writing in their eMail acts like we are literally badmouthing them. I have seen two threads regarding this store, and neither was for allout badtalk.

I opened this thread for opinions of people on their preorders and relative lifespan. The other thread was opened for their service as a whole. Neither this nor the other thread was intended to badmouth the company, though the other thread had many people express their opinions very strongly against the company (I included).

I apologize to any people who are that devoted to DVDSoon that it seemed as I and others have been slandering the company with our opinions.
Old 07-20-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't understand the apprehension about using this company either. I used a credit card for all of my orders with them. If everything goes fine, I get my DVDs at enormous savings. And if by some miracle, they go under, I dispute the charge with my credit card company and get my money back. What's so hard about that?

Last edited by huzefa; 07-27-02 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-20-02, 09:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by huzefa
I don't understand the apprehension about using this company either. I used a credit card for all of my orders with them. If everything goes fine, I get my DVDs are enormous savings. And if by some miracle, they go under, I dispute the charge with my credit card company and get my money back. What's so hard about that? And
Hey Huzefa, not to make fun, but this seems very unclear. Can you restate, or fix the grammar?
Old 07-20-02, 11:06 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

that is why i dun pre-order with them as they charge my card straight away.
Old 07-21-02, 02:06 AM

I have used DVDSOON as my main supplier for new titles the last 6 months after paying too much importtaxes for my CDNOW orders(always the wrong prices on the outside of the packages)
I know they charge your card rightaway, but I always pre-order a title in the week before it comes out.
Shipping to Amsterdam is fast also, usually less than a week.
Old 07-21-02, 02:18 AM
Banned

I'm just scared, since BTTF is what I want and it is 4 months off. If they go under, my CC will already be paid for, and I won't be able to dispute it anymore.
Old 07-21-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDSoon is OK in my book. Sure they charge your card right away, but I always wait until about 2-3 weeks before release date before I place my order.

Sometimes the pre-orders will ship well before US sites. This past Thursday I received Speed: Five Star Collection & Collateral Damage, both not due out until 7/30.

To answer you question, "No, I don't think that DVDSoon will be filing chapter 11 anytime soon (but I thought the same thing about Reel.com also )
Old 07-26-02, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm thinking about pre-ordering the Friends: Season Two. I guess I'll place my order on Sept. then and give them a try. Thanks!
Old 07-27-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MistisoMan

Hey Huzefa, not to make fun, but this seems very unclear. Can you restate, or fix the grammar?
Fixed the post..... but I'm sure you got the gist of it.
Old 07-27-02, 03:10 PM
Banned

I did, but took me a couple rereads to get it completely (=