Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon Pre-order titles- Do they ship before release dates?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to pre-order Resident Evil from Amazon. I've never used Amazon before, but I was wondering if they ship pre-order DVD's before they are released, like a few days in advance, or do they wait for the release date to ship?
Old 07-08-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amazon never has had the best record for getting DVDs delivered before or on the official release date. Most of my orders arrive a day or two after. Typically they seem to ship between Saturday and Monday before they are released.
Old 07-08-02, 07:53 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of countless of orders placed at Amazon, I've gotten only one order delivered on Friday before the release date! Most were shipped on Sat/Sun/Monday before release date and arrived on Thurs/Friday. One order didn't ship until more than 3 months after release eventhough it was available all along.

I like Amazon using custom carton mailers for single dvd shipments, and oversized boxes for multiple dvd shipments. They offer better protection than the typical bubble mailers used by most online stores.
Old 07-08-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No... Amazon ships on street date or possibly one day before if you get lucky...
Old 07-08-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I forgot to mention the method of shipment could also make a big difference when it arrives. I found arrival times can vary by several days on orders shipped by either UPS or USPS. Several months ago I would have preferred USPS for speed but now think UPS is faster. Quite a few of my orders shipped by UPS arrived a day before or on release dates, while USPS orders take 2-3 days longer. I don't know if this is true for all areas of the U.S. but it sure seems to be for my location (Southern California). Unfortunately, you don't have much control on what method Amazon uses with standard or super saver shipping mailed to a home address. I think they tend to use UPS for large orders and USPS for small ones but that is not absolute. I am sure some will disagree with me about shipping but that has been my experience.
Old 07-08-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use Amazon a lot, but they aren't the best place for you to use if you are concerned about getting your title before (or on) release date. 9 times out of 10, it'll ship on the Tuesday of release and you'll get it a few days later. Occasionally, it'll ship a few days early. And sometimes it'll ship a few days late.

But, in general, you're going to get your title on the Friday or Monday after release.
Old 07-10-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had bad luck with them on pre-orders - several months ago I had a pre-order that didn't ship until 3 days after the release date. They made me really nervous, because it was a time-sensitive gift.

Then, stupidly, I placed an order in June for a DVD released on July 9. Right now that order has not shipped and is not scheduled to ship until... JULY 14??? Estimated DELIVERY date of July 18 - 24??? Grrrr. Pretty frustrating when I could walk into Best Buy and snatch it off the shelf, or when I see people posting that they either received it or had it shipped already from CDNow, DDD, buy.com, etc.

I'm only going to use them for in-stock orders now.
Old 07-10-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
amazon gets my pre orders on my door step on the release day.
Old 07-11-02, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
amazon gets my pre orders on my door step on the release day.
You must live right next door to a distribution center... You're in a very small minority.