Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

GameStop and Harry Potter

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I decided to take GameStop up on their trade-in offer for Harry Potter (trade any 2 used major studio DVDs in and be guaranteed a copy of HP on release day) and traded in two titles that were being replaced by SEs in April. I wrote on the order that I specifically wanted the widescreen edition. When I got to GS today to pick up my order, they only had P&S and didn't know if/when they would be getting the WS edition. To his credit, the guy at GS was very professional. He called 2 other stores nearby to see if they any widescreen copies (no luck). I then asked him what my options were and he gave me a $20 cash refund.

I then went to CompUSA to pick-up a $10 copy but they were sold out. I picked up one of their circulars and took it to Target where they priced matched on the spot with no questions asked. The cashier even said "I had one of these [CompUSA Price match] a few minutes ago".

As frustrating as it might have been not to have the deal go the way I expected, it was refreshing to deal with two retailers who stood behind their policies without hassling the customer (BB and CC please note). Kudos to GameStop and Target!
Old 05-28-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too exchanged 2 at Gamestop at my nearby mall. I stopped by shortly after 10 on my errands but the shipment hadn't arrived yet. Soon after returning home the guy called to let me know that it was in. I asked if it was the WS version and he checked and it was the dreaded standard. I told him that the WS is the one I wanted not this. He went on to tell me that since the WS wasn't in the system, it would not be possible to get from gamestop, because they don't order movies that aren't in the system. I was angry that I would have to waste my time to go exchange it at another store(hopefully). Or I might have to do the old buy one return the one I don't want switcheroo. Well, someone calls later to inform me that they got a WS copy for me waiting at the store. My wife picked it up on the way home from work and it sounds like they made a trade with the Sam Goody chain at the mall. This situation ended well, but I think Gamestop needs to be more informative up front with their customers.
Old 05-29-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
While I agree, they should have been more specific up front, I do think that we should give them a second round of kudos for the excellent customer service that they provided in remedying the situation! The best and most important customer service occurs in the immediate moments after a problem arises.
Old 05-29-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also did this "deal" and it turned into a bucket of crap. First of all, they didn't even have the movie untill today - the day after release. Second, they only had fullscreen. Third they would not give me a refund nor did they offer to help in any other way. In short, I am totally unimpressed. Far from gaining a new customer, I will take pains to ensure I avoid Gamestop in the future.