Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Priority Mail vs. Media Mail

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Last week I had two seperate orders sent from DVD Empire at the exact same time,one was Priority and one was Media.I received the Media mail order first on Sat. and the priority mail didn't arrive until Tues.So it looks to me that priority mail is a BIG waste of money.Both orders were free shipping-so I can't see myself forking over extra money to receive something later- than the cheaper mail delivery.
Old 05-28-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Are you far away from the Return Address? It may have something to do with how close the werehouse is.
Old 05-28-02, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I'll take media mail over priority mail any day. The packages arrive in the same time frame... on average, I'd say that media generally takes an extra day. But, on the other hand, I've had media packages sent on a Monday arrive on Wednesday, whereas I've had Priority packages take up to nine days.

Media mail packages also tend to receive less abuse in handling. I've had several priority boxes arrive crushed.
Old 05-28-02, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
media mail is unreliable

At HKFlix we've been offering Media Mail for almost a year now, and I personally recommend against it every chance I get. Yes, sometimes it does get where it's going in a timely manner. But the thing about Media Mail is that its speed is not so reliable. We've had media mail packages take 2 weeks to get across the bridge from Oakland to San Francisco. I definitely think Priority is the only way to go unless you're open to the option of waiting up to a month for something to arrive. This has been my personal experience with ordering via media mail from other suppliers as well.
Old 05-28-02, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Media is good if the place your ordering from is in the same state. Otherwise waiting for something to go from Cal to NYC takes weeks
Old 05-28-02, 07:04 PM

Just to reiterate, we've regularly seen major delays in getting media mail packages to neighboring cities no more than 5-10 miles away from our warehouse... I still say avoid Media unless you don't mind a potential wait.
Old 05-28-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
When I order from DVD Empire-I always go with media mail-takes about 3 days-same as priority-It's very rare that I receive a package no later than 3 days.
Old 05-28-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I ordered my X Files season 4 DVD, I had paid more for priority mail and it arrived the monday before it was released. For season 5, I had ordered it with media mail (from the same place, btw, same warehouse) and it STILL arrived the Monday before it came out. I really do think Priority Mail is a joke. I can't tell you how many times I've used it and didn't have things arrive at the destination in the alloted time. It's a waste of money to be sure.
Old 05-28-02, 09:26 PM

I sell stuff on Ebay, and one of the media mail shipments took almost a month! So, now I put down "up to a month" in my auction listings for media mail.
Old 05-28-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I prefer media mail and when used with delivery confirmation come out to just over half the cost of priority. Sometimes 1st class is even cheaper than media for dvds.
Old 05-29-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by J-Dubya
I prefer media mail and when used with delivery confirmation come out to just over half the cost of priority. Sometimes 1st class is even cheaper than media for dvds.
usually, a regular dvd in bubble wrapper costs about the same first class or media mail. if it's two discs, or it's got a thick insert, then media mail is cheaper.

media mail has taken me over 3 weeks, with about 10 days on average, while priority is about 2-4 days, 3 days average.
Old 05-29-02, 02:32 AM

I'm sorry to disappoint everyone but First Class and Priority simply OWN media mail. I have sold hundreds of items on ebay, and Priority Mail is by far the fastest way to ship something. If it's within the same state, it's best to use first class as it'll take the same time as Priotiry (1-2 days if within the same state) for less.

They often put Media Mail on the backburner, your package can sit at the same place for days. For those of you who say that the Priority Mail took longer than the Media Mail, more than likely, they did not ship at the same time even if according to records the packages shipped at the same time.
Old 05-29-02, 03:36 AM

FYI, starting with the rate increase (June 30th) you can use Delivery and Signature Confirmation with 1st class IF 1) it's in a box, or 2) the package is > 3/4 of an inch thick.
Old 05-29-02, 07:49 AM

Thanks Randy, that will be useful to know.. Since I sell a few things on half.com every month, I always use media mail so I can get D/C instead of first class.. Now I'll probably switch.
Old 05-29-02, 12:36 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Media mail has generally been fast for me. When Amazon ships a package via media mail to me on Tuesday, I receive it on Friday. If they ship via priority mail, I receive it only a day earlier. However, I hate it when they do Smart Mail, which takes a week to arrive. Media mail is fast for me perhaps because I live in Oregon which is adjacent to their warehouse in Seattle.
Old 05-29-02, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: New Jersey, where the state motto should be Leave No Tree Standing
When I sell CDs and DVDs on Half.com or eBay, I ship via First Class. A single DVD in an Amaray case shipped First Class in a bubble envelope costs $1.26; shipped via Media Mail it would cost $1.33 and take longer. CDs also cost $1.33 for Media Mail, but anywhere from 97 cents to $1.26 via First Class depending on the weight (which depends on the size of the booklet). I will only send items Priority Mail if the buyer requests and pays for it. The time difference in First Class and Priority is negligible in most cases so the price difference makes no sense.
Old 05-29-02, 02:01 PM

The reasoning behind media mail is that is can have delivery confirmation, whereas first class cannot (for now). First class will most likely have the capacity for delivery confirmation very soon, at which time yes, media mail will be far less desirable for small shipments than first class.
Old 05-30-02, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
It all depends on where you are. I purchased something used off Amazon and used Media Mail. The guy lived in PR (surprise!) and it took almost 4 weeks to receive.

I suppose if you live close to the shipper it could take as little as a day or two.
Old 05-30-02, 10:45 PM

I ordered a DVD from Amazon and it shipped Smart mail and it took only a few days.

Anyone know what smart mail is like? Is it somewhere between media mail and priority mail?
Old 05-30-02, 11:15 PM
Cool New Member

never heard of smart mail
Describe the package more
Old 05-30-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Smart mail is Amazon's way of telling us that they don't know what method will be used to ship this item. So it could ship UPS, media mail or even priority mail (i don't think amazon uses this much though).
Old 05-31-02, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had titles ship from DDD via media mail and I received them in no more than 3 days. They are in Illinois I am in Pennsylvania near Philadelphia. I've been very happy with that service.
Old 05-31-02, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by RandyM
FYI, starting with the rate increase (June 30th) you can use Delivery and Signature Confirmation with 1st class IF 1) it's in a box, or 2) the package is > 3/4 of an inch thick.
Great news! Thanks.
Old 05-31-02, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Media mail may work well for deliveries on the continental U.S. My last media mail package took 2 months to arrive. And since all etailers are on the mainland, I have to opt for Priority, and cannot shop at places like Amazon who cannot give you a definite form of delivery. I give kudos to Barnes and Noble, as they ship all DVDs by Priority to Hawaii. Sure, they're expensive on the whole, but for the titles with prices close to other etailers, its worth it. (Because you buy 2 and shipping's free.)

But for those of you with speedy media mail shipment -- that's great, I wish I could go free shipping with Deep Discount, but it's not worth the worry.
Old 05-31-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Originally posted by rkndkn
Media mail may work well for deliveries on the continental U.S. My last media mail package took 2 months to arrive. And since all etailers are on the mainland, I have to opt for Priority, and cannot shop at places like Amazon who cannot give you a definite form of delivery. I give kudos to Barnes and Noble, as they ship all DVDs by Priority to Hawaii. Sure, they're expensive on the whole, but for the titles with prices close to other etailers, its worth it. (Because you buy 2 and shipping's free.)
I've never had Amazon send anything Media rate. Three years ago, everything came Priority with maybe one or two shipments by UPS.

I've had multiple orders -- mostly for books -- using their free super saver shipping, and those have always shipped UPS, even when they split it into multiple shipments. If you're ordering DVDs, then I'd assume they wouldn't use media, since they don't even use that for books, which are heavier than DVDs and carry higher discounts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.