Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Security checks in retail stores

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-02, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frys Electronics all have these "security" checks at the front door where an employee looks in your bag then checks the receipt to make sure you haven't stolen anything.

Do you stand in line like a dutiful citizen to wait for the employee to look in your bags, or do you always try to walk past the employee and refuse to have your bags checked?

I'd be willing to bet most of the theft happens with employees anyway.

I usually try to skirt past the security checkpoint simply because I think that checkpoint is annoying.
Old 05-05-02, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts
Sounds like the same as a "Sam's Warehouse"...

I usually try and weed my way around the exit point. Always try to look annoyed when they check me too. Don't know why, but I feel better
Old 05-05-02, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I usually just keep walking like a normal (with nothing to hide) person.
If the guy really makes a special point of wanting me to stop and check my purchase/receipt, I do it.
It only takes a few seconds, and I figure the guy is just doing his job.
He quite likely feels a little creepy about asking, but...
Old 05-05-02, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best Buy does that here and it always annoys me. I try to avoid it if I can. The stupid thing is that they never take a very good look, someone could easily get by with something extra in their bag.

I wonder if they can legally do anything if you refuse to let them look. Once you've paid for it, it's your bag and your stuff.
Old 05-05-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Gee, where did your idea for this thread come from? Maybe the store forum?!?!? Moving thread...
Old 05-05-02, 08:27 PM
Banned

You learn in Criminal Law class just how easy it is to circumvent that "security system". All you have to do is line the inside of one of YOUR bags with aluminum foil, then fill it. Walk past the guard, and the detectors won't even go off. The lining of the bag (aluminum foil) "protects" the stolen goods.
Old 05-05-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by J-Dubya
Gee, where did your idea for this thread come from? Maybe the store forum?!?!? Moving thread...
Nah, I went to Frys the other day and refused to let the person look inside my bag. I just walked by with a bag and the receipt in hand. If I wanted to steal, it would be something far more expensive and valuable than candy bars or batteries (I had a small bag).
Old 05-05-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
at least they have someone to try to stop shoplifters

at the grocery store I worked at we had those alarm things by the doors. the only person I ever saw them stop was me when the damn alarm went off after I bought 1 pack of batteries after my shift was over. it had 2 of the alarm stickers on it and only 1 got deactivated
Old 05-05-02, 09:46 PM

That's one thing I hate about CompUSA they are the most militant that I've encountered. Granted the merchandise in there is almost all high priced so I can understand it. But at my local CompUSA the security person is in full view of the checkouts. They watch you check out so they know you aren't stealing anything but check your receipt and your purchases anyway. Even if the security alarm doesn't go off. I've paid for my stuff just let me get out of there. It's just annoying that I'm not guilty of stealing I just wanna get the hell out of the store and on my way and there's another hoop you have to jump through.

Chris
Old 05-05-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[begin rant] Fry's is evil...EVIL! [end rant]

And I NEVER let them check my bag either, even when I was a vendor making store visits or checking the home office store before meeting with my buyers in the corporate building.
Old 05-05-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what happens if you just run past one of those guys. i mean technically they aren't really supposed to detain you unless they have actually seen you shoplift and have been able to keep eye contact on you the entire time after that, right? so if the guy says "i need to check your bag" and i just say "not today you don't buddy" and walk right out the door, what can they do? push me down to the ground and forcefully search me? or call the police on me for attempting to circumvent security checks?
Old 05-06-02, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by indianajdp
[begin rant] Fry's is evil...EVIL! [end rant]
You're starting to sound like Ozzy.

[Ozzy Quote]Bubbles!! Oh, Come On Sharon! Evil, Evil, Butt-F****** Evil![/Ozzy Quote]

Old 05-06-02, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Total waste of time.

Since most things are bar coded it is impossible for them to check the majority of items.
Old 05-06-02, 08:34 AM
Cool New Member

Just say no

1) "They" don't have a right to search your bags.

2) They don't have a right to demand to see your receipt.

3) They can ask.

4) You don't have to submit.

5) Membership clubs like Sam's may be different because by joining you agree to abide by their rules.

6) Just ask them if they are accusing you of stealing something. If the answer is no, just keep on walking. If the answer is yes, make a big stink and get the police involved.
Old 05-06-02, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate those...find it quite irritating...they were doing that at Kmart...feel like a criminal even when I pd for everything.
Old 05-06-02, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think they have no right to stop and check your bag unless they actually see you in the act of stealing something. However they also have a right to bar you from shopping at the store again. Even though they see you at the checkout register they are supposed to check you because you could be working with the register guy in stealing stuff. I usually just let them check my bag. Takes just a few seconds anyway.
Old 05-06-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wait...they'll be doing this in all of the stores pretty soon. At first I noticed it at Sam's several years ago and thought nothing of it but now it's showing up at Besy Buy and now Kmart. Until people(mostly sheep) realize this against your rights as a consumer the stores will continue to do this. If that isn't bad enough if you refuse to let them search your bag they treat you like a crminal or even worse try to detain you. I personally think it is BS since once you have paid for your goods they are legally yours. They are not the stores or the security guards goods...they are yours. Plain and simple. Oh well...enough ranting and raving. I just wish people would realize this instead of being herded through a door like a buch of sheep. What's next being wanded with a metal detector or x-ray machine(which are now being tested for airports). Oh well it will get worse before people finally say "enough is enough!"

Just my 2 cents
Old 05-06-02, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
As long as you have nothing to hide and they (at least try to) stop everyone, why do you care? It is a minor inconvenience to try and stop shoplifting. Can't you give up 30 seconds of your time for the overall good of the public consumer?

I think that there are just a lot of people who like to bitch and moan about everything and are argumentative people in general who just look for reasons to whine and complain.
Old 05-06-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"As long as you have nothing to hide and they (at least try to) stop everyone, why do you care? It is a minor inconvenience to try and stop shoplifting."

cdollaz:
Would you say the same thing if a cop pulled you over for no reason?
Old 05-06-02, 01:00 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by cdollaz
As long as you have nothing to hide and they (at least try to) stop everyone, why do you care? It is a minor inconvenience to try and stop shoplifting. Can't you give up 30 seconds of your time for the overall good of the public consumer?
cdollaz: Since you have nothing to hide, do you mind if I come out and search your house? How about a strip search at the store's exit just to make sure you didn't slip something under your clothes; after all, you have nothing to hide.

Were you by chance in the military?
Old 05-06-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cdollaz:
Would you say the same thing if a cop pulled you over for no reason?

It's not the same thing. First of all, if you would read my post, I said as long as they stop everyone. Cops don't pull over everyone. And cops can't do it in 30 seconds, like I stated above. Being pulled over by cops is not a minor inconvenience. If it is store policy to check bags, then I have no problem with it. If you do, then you should shop somewheve else.
Old 05-06-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cdollaz: Since you have nothing to hide, do you mind if I come out and search your house? How about a strip search at the store's exit just to make sure you didn't slip something under your clothes

Let me see if I understand. A Best Buy employeed either went to your house or strip-searched you. Wow, I've never heard of that happening. Well then, I guess you have a right to complain.
Old 05-06-02, 02:33 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What a joke. I read an article and it said something to this effect.

In Israel, they check you when you get in a store.
In America, they check you when you get out of a store.

Old 05-06-02, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by cdollaz

I think that there are just a lot of people who like to bitch and moan about everything and are argumentative people in general who just look for reasons to whine and complain.

I was wondering if I was the only one that was thinking this. Geez, are you guys in that much of a hurry that you cannot stop for a few seconds??? I hope I'm not coming from the other side when you decide to start running red lights because they are holding you back as well.
Old 05-06-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"It's not the same thing."
cdollaz: That's not my point. Whatever happened to the America I remember. Innocent until proven GUILTY!!!!! But notice the winds of change....even though very subtle(30 secs). The next thing you know like I said before and I'll say again x-ray machines or the little garret wand, etc, etc, etc ,etc. Maybe this will never happen but I will bet on it if people don't realize what their constitutional rights are. It is my right to walk out of store without eing hassled bye some Joe-Blo security guard. People who simply accept things as they are will soon be put thropugh another small inconvenience in another year. What that maybe is anyone's guess but I see a trend.

"And cops can't do it in 30 seconds"

Yes they do. It's called a road block or sobriety checkpoint which I find unconstitutional too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.