Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster Vs. Hollywood Video - which is better?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

So I recently moved to a town that has both Hollywood and Blockbuster video stores. (My last town had neither so I used a nice little local place) What's your experience with these two rental titans and which would you use? I know I've heard BB is really anti-DVD sell through pricing and the problem with finding widescreen DVDs there - how does Hollywood compare? Also any details about membership fees/qualification comparisions between the two? Opinions wanted!

(Editing in from later post) I am and plan to continue being a Netflix member, but frankly while their older movie DVD selection can't be beat anywhere, their new releases too often are "Long" or "Very Long Wait." (For example "Mulholland Drive" and "Zoolander" are both VLW in my queue, and I admit, I'm impatient in particular to rent Mulholland Dr.) So I rent at B&Bs sometimes when I'm in the mood to see something right away. I'm really trying not to buy TOO many discs.

Anyone able to tell me what the membership and/or fees to join if any are like at each one, though?

Last edited by The Antipodean; 04-22-02 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-17-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I prefer BB for the rewards program and selection...but neither are that great. Looks like you had it lucky with a mom and pop shop close by. You may want to try and find another.

Anyone else in Dallas like Starlight Video???

GREATNESS!
Old 04-17-02, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple. Hollywood. They don't ALWAYS stock Pan & Scan when a widescreen version is available.

That plus they aren't driving the Anti-Buying campaign that BBV has been propogating here in Dallas.

Why buy? Well, let's see. Rent Three Amigos, plus 1 day late fee = more than the price of owning it... Just an example.

Blockbuster Video: The evil of two lessers...

Personal video rental choice in Dallas, Movie Trading Company. Larger selection, lower fees, rental fee deducted from purchase price if you decide to buy, and Criterions/Rare/Box Sets for rent? Where do you go wrong?

Last edited by ptyrtl; 04-17-02 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-17-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Of the two evils, I prefer Hollywood Video. Everything is a 5 day rental (not including the day you rent it). Specifically this means I can pick up the new releases on Tuesday, and then can watch them on Friday or Saturday.
Blockbuster counts the day you rent it as day 1. Therefore, a 2 day rental is due tomorrow.

However, I'm now a Netflix convert.
Old 04-18-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like BB more. There are 3 BB within a 10 mile radius of my house. The nearest Hollywood is 20 minutes away.
Old 04-18-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Movie_Man
Of the two evils, I prefer Hollywood Video. Everything is a 5 day rental (not including the day you rent it). Specifically this means I can pick up the new releases on Tuesday, and then can watch them on Friday or Saturday.
Blockbuster counts the day you rent it as day 1. Therefore, a 2 day rental is due tomorrow.
Me too. I'll always go to a Hollywood before going to Block Buster. In my home town they're cheaper as well.
Old 04-18-02, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are 3 BB's near my home, but I often drive a bit farther to the Hollywood store. It might not be the same way for each store, but I found the selection at Hollywood far surpasses Blockbuster. Of course, the only mom and pop near me gets more business from me than these places (only because of price).
Old 04-18-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Neither. Search out an independent. As for fees and such, each market is different, so you really won't know until you get there.

Suggestion: Check out your local grocery stores also. Often these are VERY cheap and easier to get popular titles from. Sure they don't stock as many, but they also don't have the same traffic numbers.

Old 04-18-02, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Wow, that's like asking which is better to get: AIDS or Syphilis!

I'd say go with neither - there HAS to be a local mom and pop place SOMEwhere near you. Support the little guy!
Old 04-18-02, 02:39 PM

Personally, I would not give my money to either company. If there are no local independent stores in your area, then Netflix is probably your best bet. Their service has improved drastically (for me, at least) since they opened a new distribution center in Houston. Of course, you could always go see some movies in the theatre....
Old 04-18-02, 04:52 PM
Banned

The Hollywood Video by my house rents all their movies for $.99. It's great to go in there and get four movies for the price of one blockbuster rental. You can't beat that.
Old 04-18-02, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts
Blockbuster is a little better on getting new DVDs and they have better price promotions (the "Rewards" program, though I really regret falling for that); however, there's one Hollywood near me that actually has a huge and varied selection of DVD "catalog titles" (if you don't know the term, that means they have something other than new releases). However, the other Hollywoods in the area have the same old poor selection. Overall, I've got to agree with the previous poster that recommended Netflix. Overall, my experience with them has been quite good, and even at their worst they're far better than the brick-and-mortars in this area. I also like Number Slate (numberslate.com)...
Old 04-18-02, 10:20 PM
Banned

Hollywood for me. My local Hollywood has the following Criterions:
Robocop
Armageddon
Rushmore
The Life of Brian
Do the right thing
The Last Temptation of Christ
The Unbearable Lightness of Being

AND

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Sanjuro
High and Low
Autumn Sonata

I can rent all of them for 99 cents with a coupon that they accept without saying a word.
Old 04-19-02, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts
On the other hand, my local "Hollywood" has four Criterions from that list, and its 3.79 a title. They don't even give you credit on the "Next Day Return". So it just depends on the "Hollywood" near you (but this is also true of Blockbuster, where the stores in the "upscale" end of town have a better selection than those in the suburbs)...
Old 04-19-02, 12:55 AM

I used to work @ Hollywood's corporate office in Oregon.

I prefer Netflix.
Old 04-19-02, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El-Kabong
Wow, that's like asking which is better to get: AIDS or Syphilis!

I'd say go with neither - there HAS to be a local mom and pop place SOMEwhere near you. Support the little guy!
That's the best way of putting it that I've ever heard!
Old 04-20-02, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont use either one of those places..why? well...

I don't like Blockbuster, the closest store has a selection that blows...oh and i dont like renting from them either. The other store (i believe there is only 2) is on the other side of town and its not worth driving over there to leave empty handed.

There is one Hollywood video in this area. I dont rent from them because i have to drive 15 miles just to go to the place, not worth the drive.

Who i do rent from: There is a small pizza place in the little town i reside in (locally run place). Thier selection isnt as great as the big chains but this place has something that those other places dont: great location. This place is located 8 blocks away. I can drive up there pick up a pizza/sub and get a movie and be home in 2 minutes. Food is hot when taking it home and returning a movie doesnt even require the use of a car.
Old 04-20-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nevermind that I'm now a HW video employee.

When I was a renter, I rented from Blockbuster. They didn't have many dvds, and for the price, you didn't get them for very long. Then we got a hollywood video right across the street.

Thier dvd selection was waaayyy better than the blockbuster, and our particular store had a great atmosphere when you went in. 5 day rentals, not counting the day you rent, and the selection was pretty good, even though the guys at corporate could send a few more copies(or maybe just copies) of the smaller titles. Now, every week we get more and more copies(we're getting almost the same number as vhs now for the bigger copies, and I see that changing weekly). Plus, we're expecting a dvd replenishment, that could include us receiving around somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000+ additional catalog dvd's.

We have no real independents here, and the one that we do have is a sleazy guy who basically lies to you, has product that damaged, and has no selection.(he does have pRon, though).

Obviously, here, HW video would probably be the place to be. Where you are, I'd take prices, availability and store attitude into consideration.

You might consider netflix, though. I've not tried it, and frankly, I don't rent enough to justify it. Before I tried it I'd probably try to rent all the stuff I've not seen at our store first.
Old 04-20-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RDYoung
We have no real independents here, and the one that we do have is a sleazy guy who basically lies to you, has product that damaged, and has no selection.
Sounds like Blockbuster to me.
Old 04-22-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally posted by RDYoung
You might consider netflix, though. I've not tried it, and frankly, I don't rent enough to justify it. Before I tried it I'd probably try to rent all the stuff I've not seen at our store first.
Just to clarify, I *did* say above in a response to another post that I am a member of Netflix, and think they're good about 90% of the time. I edited my original post to make this a little clearer -- I do know about Netflix, I'm just trying to get options on the two B&Bs. Thanks to everyone who's responded.
Old 04-22-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like Blockbuster better because they are cheaper...even with the $10 a year fee...I don't know, the Hollywood Video in my town is just not impressive at all.
Old 04-23-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sierra Disc

Just to clarify, I *did* say above in a response to another post that I am a member of Netflix, and think they're good about 90% of the time. I edited my original post to make this a little clearer -- I do know about Netflix, I'm just trying to get options on the two B&Bs. Thanks to everyone who's responded.
sorry. must have missed it.
Old 04-26-02, 09:24 PM

Have you tried the local public library?

Over here in New York City, the public library has more than a thousand DVDs available for rent, including OOP criterions. In fact they have a almost complete criterion collection.

Rental is free of charge and there is no limit on the number of DVDs that you can rent at any time. You can keep the discs for 7 days and can renew upto 2 times online.

So check out your local public library first before going to BBV or HW. The only time I set foot in a BBV or HW is when they have those PVD sales.
Old 04-29-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by costanza187
I like Blockbuster better because they are cheaper...even with the $10 a year fee
Blockbuster charges you $10/year just to be a member?
Old 04-29-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Movie_Man

Blockbuster charges you $10/year just to be a member?
He prolly means "Rewards member"...if not???

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.