Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Washington Post article on Netflix

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 04-11-02, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2002Apr10.html
Old 04-11-02, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Strange. I don't use netflix even though several of my co-workers swear by it. I guess the idea os spending $20 a month on 3 dvd's just doesn't sound right to me.

The way I have it now, I am a member of the Blockbuster Rewards program. I pay a one year $10 subscription and get a free movie rental coupon every month. Now I rent a favorites on Monday thru Wednesday (which the favorite is free) plus use the coupon on a DVD and rent a video game and I'm out of pocket $6.

Now I know that I only have so many days as opposed to a month to return the movies, but that isn't enough to make me join Netflix.

Am I wrong here? Does anyone have anything compelling that Netflix offers that Blockbuster doesn't?
Old 04-11-02, 02:24 PM

" Does anyone have anything compelling that Netflix offers that Blockbuster doesn't?"

1) Number and quality of titles. Netflix has upwards of 10000 different titles, many of them great films that Blockbuster doesn't think will rent. Netflix can spread obscure films over a much larger customer base, so they can afford to stock a film that only 1 in 10000 people is interested in seeing.

2) Netflix doesn't censor their movies.

3) Price. Your mileage may vary on this, but that 3 for $20 at Netflix is 3 out at a time. If you watch and return quickly, you can probably rent 8-9 titles a month for your $20, which is a very good average price. And there are no late fees. Don't forget to average these in to your blockbuster price calculation. This is where BB makes a huge proportion of your profits.

But if you mostly rent newer big budget releases, decide what to watch on a whim, and return your videos promptly, Blockbuster might be better for you.
Old 04-11-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
If they offered adult movies, I would use them for both regular and adult films. Since they don't, I stick to dvdovernight and xrentdvd.
Old 04-11-02, 05:17 PM

Right now I have 7 movies in my queue. Each of them is "Long Wait" at best. I have a combination of old, brand new, and a month or so old. I have two out right now since I am on the lesser service. However, my last returned movie wasn't replaced for over 10 days--I'm just talking sending, not receiving. A couple of months ago, I had not one movie for three weeks! with a longer queue. I called and complained that month and got a partial credit.

I am toughing it out, because I sometimes keep a movie for longer than the Blockbuster window because of my husband's and kids' packed schedules. When I suit myself, I get them in faster, but then get mad how long it takes to replace them. I pay slightly less than the 2 movies at a time rate because I go back a year or more. Except for the last title, the speed in shipping has increased to match what it takes for me to send it in. For the longest time, my shipping out was days faster than their shipping to me! Another pet peeve, sometimes the "released to ship" status takes days. How hard is that to do? Consequently, my average is down to 3-4 for each of the last two months.
Old 04-11-02, 05:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Personally I went the other way. I bumped up to the 8 out at a time and I'm able to cycle through about 1 every day or so. With over 200 in the queue though I figured it was the only way I'd get it down anytime soon
Old 04-12-02, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Originally posted by TomMiller
Blockbuster might be better for you.
Not just regarding Netflix, but the whole market in general: Blockbuster is not better for any consumer.