Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Netflix article in this week's TIME magazine

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Netflix article in this week's TIME magazine

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorta OT: Netflix article in this week's TIME magazine

This might be considered kinda OT in the sense that we mostly discuss CH in here, but.....Netflix is, in a way, a video club so........

The current issue of TIME magazine 3/18/02, has an interesting article about
Netflix.
Article indicates that Netflix now has over 500,000 subscribers, and has
plans to go public.
Good news for east coast members, like myself, is that Netflix plans to open
more distribution centers nationwide (according to the article)
Their plan is to "open enough distribution centers to have the whole country
within a day's coverage".

Looks like Netflix could be here to stay.

Personally, I've been with Netflix for two years now, and yes there have
been some bumps in the road, but I'm overall quite happy with them.
About the only time I wander into a video rental store now is to see what
titles I might want to add to my Netflix queue (or my CH list).

Love em' or hate em', this was an interesting article.

Phil
Old 03-13-02, 11:42 AM

I, too, have been with Netflix for two years now. I cannot imagine going back into a rental store and then worrying about getting the movie back in time.

My membership has been smooth sailing from the start. I have had one movie that didn't play and a couple that have got stuck. I used glass-wax or carnuba wax on them and they played fine.
One day turn-around would be awesome!
Old 03-13-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have yet to get a movie that didn't play.
I have had one that was lost in the mail but that was the week following 9/11 so..........
Old 03-13-02, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been with them for 2 years. Have had a few problems (slow shipping, titles being "released" to ship for too long) and they have stopped their "sent back" allready function which really irkes me!

Dont' know how long they will continue though.

They need to really, I mean really get all their titles in stock.
Old 03-13-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts
This belongs in the Store Forum, so moving it there...
Old 03-13-02, 09:50 PM

I have been with them for two years now and have no real complaints. I love being able to watch the movies I missed (or were never released in my area) and not have to worry about late fees. Will be glad when they open more distribution centers though. I am on the east coast and quicker turnaround will be awesome.
Old 03-16-02, 05:59 PM

Been with Netflix over two years through various ups and downs, 4 lost DVD's 3 cracked. Although they discontinued the "mature" category and too many thing are in short wait status, lately I've managed to rent unrated stuff like Center of the World, Dancing at the Blue Iguana and Diary of a Sex Addict. The only other way to see these would be to buy them, and I'm sure glad I didn't buy these 3 pieces of utter crap. Even got Baise-Moi this week, and have been working my way through the recent Corman women-in-prison flicks (Women in Cages - yeah!)

And it was through Netflix that I discovered the amazing russki/commie propaganda film "I Am Cuba." Don't miss it!!!!
I also liked holding on to Seven Samurai and Young Girls of Rochefort for a couple weeks.
Old 03-18-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can anyone (please) post the article?

Thanks.
Old 03-18-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The article claims that the service costs $15 a month but the Netflix website says $20. I'm guessing it's $20. What do you guys pay?
Old 03-18-02, 11:16 PM

well, with all the press that nexflix is getting and their recent ipo infusion, will this put the local video store under more pressure? As if Blocky and VOD wasn't enough.

I do run an independent video store with 4000+ dvd titles to choose from. I do have friendly & informed movie fans for employees.

I guess I'll have to pack up shop since everyone's ga-ga over click & ship movies.

Na, I think I'll stick around and service my local clientele until the bitter end.

Do remember that sometimes you don't want to wait and your local indy store may have what you want. Just call, we'd love to hear from you!

How about naming some of your favorite local idependent video stores (if any are left) and tell us your happy stories! One store that I'm dying to visit is Scarecrow video in Seattle area. From what I've heard & seen this is what a video store should be.

Did I mention that I also do imports? Got those hard to find dvd not available here.

Enough of me already, just want to state that most independent stores work hard to serve you. Let us know what you would like to have offered and we'll do our best to get it!

Miss all you dvd fans already!

Paul J
Media Wave
Fairfield, CT
Old 03-19-02, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
MediaWave, you are the man! How about becoming an investor so that I can do the same here in central IL?

I used Netflix for a short period of time a while back. I really liked the fact their selection and that I could get stuff that I could not find anywhere (DVD rental was just coming into existance here in Springfield). I didn't have a bad experience with them, I would much rather go to my video store and pick up a movie than wait for a week or more to get it. (I am an impulse watcher!) However, it may not start right away, but Netflix going public will not be good for the consumer in the long run.

I have found an indie here in Springfield, called Lakeshore Video. I rent there when I can, but he seems to fall into the pitfalls sometimes (P&S only, rated versions, primarily only mainstream stuff). $3.50 for 3-5 days (depending on the film), which I think is kind of high. Most of my renting happens at the local grocery store (Shop N Save) for 99 cents a night. I am more willing to take a risk on something I haven't seen at this price.

I want to open a store like yours MediaWave! I always have and it is my lifelong dream . . . well, one of, but we'll leave Ashley Judd out of this discussion.