Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

800.com to be rolled into Circuit City

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This morning I got an email (addressed to their past customers) from 800.com's CEO, and it basically stated that they were getting rolled into Circuit City. I'm sure more reports will show up later in the day.

----------

On behalf of all of us at 800.com, I'd like to thank you for your loyalty over the past four years. I'm pleased to
announce that we will be transferring the 800.com Web site address and our customer database to Circuit City as part
of an agreement between 800.com and Circuit City. To visit CircuitCity.com, click here.

As a result of the transfer, any customer information transferred to Circuit City will be governed by Circuit City's privacy policy. To read Circuit City's privacy policy, click here. Rest assured that Circuit City will continue to safeguard your privacy. As a member of Verisign's program, Circuit City is certified for the highest level of security. As with 800.com's privacy policy, Circuit City's policy provides you the ability to opt-out of receiving certain non-transactional e-mails regarding new products or special offers from Circuit City or its marketing partners. To opt-out of receiving these non-transactional e-mails now, you may send an e-mail directly to "[email protected]".

We're confident that Circuit City will be able to continue our reputation for award-winning customer service while
providing the broadest selection of brand-name consumer electronics and the convenience of in-store pick-up or
home delivery.

In fact, CircuitCity.com offers a combination of benefits you won't find anywhere else:

* In-depth articles on the latest technologies
* Side-by-side product comparisons
* Unbiased customer reviews
* Over 250,000 movies, music titles, and games, even the hard-to-find stuff

Once again, we at 800.com are grateful to have served you over the past four years with our extensive selection of
home entertainment products and outstanding customer service.

Greg Drew
President, CEO and Founder
800.com

Copyright 2002, 800.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Last edited by Patman; 03-01-02 at 07:14 AM.
Old 03-01-02, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now if they will do a 3 for $1 ...
Old 03-01-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, it's already gone. I'll miss you 800.com! Probably a good move for CC though.

Pop-up window you now get from 800.com:

Welcome, 800.com customers. Circuit City is pleased to offer you the outstanding customer service you’ve come to expect from 800.com, now combined with the convenience, selection, and value of Circuit City stores.

CircuitCity.com offers:

In-depth articles on the latest technologies
Unbiased customer reviews and side-by-side product comparisons
Weekly specials
Over 250,000 movies, music titles, and games--even the hard-to-find stuff
Free shipping on CDs, and $1.99 shipping on up to eight DVDs
Online shopping with the choice to pick up purchases at any of over 600 Circuit City locations nationwide or have them delivered to your doorstep
Come on in and have a look. We love this stuff as much as you do. We’re Circuit City and we’re with you.

Questions about 800.com? Check our Help and Service area. Want to check the status of your 800.com order? Click here.
Old 03-01-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally posted by jimbo
Now if they will do a 3 for $1 ...
Maybe they'll bring back DIVX...

I heard it was the best way to watch movies at home!
Old 03-01-02, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

Maybe they'll bring back DIVX...

I heard it was the best way to watch movies at home!
And you have a nice set of coasters when you are though
Old 03-01-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It might as well read " Hi. Our company doesn't exist, so we'll be transferring you to a company which practically doesn't exist."
Old 03-02-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by POWERBOMB
It might as well read " Hi. Our company doesn't exist, so we'll be transferring you to a company which practically doesn't exist."
Old 03-02-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whoa! When did this all happen??!! I just ordered from them not too long ago and now the site is gone.

I received great CS from them, not much that I can complain about. Sorry to hear that they're gone.
Old 03-02-02, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sparrow
Whoa! When did this all happen??!! I just ordered from them not too long ago and now the site is gone.
The site switch happened just recently. Their slow demise has been talked about here for a couple of weeks though.
Old 03-02-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The link at the top of the forum pages (mostly in the Other) will link you to Circuit. Will DVDTalk still get paid if we use that link?
Old 03-03-02, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Tell me if I am wrong, but the way that I read that was 800.com simply sold their customer list to Circuit City. I saw no other tie together. The 800.com website will not continue to operate, so I don't see this as a merger or an affiliation. Simply, "Thank you for being our customer. This other company gave us lots of money for your information, hopefully you will be their customer now."
Old 03-03-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Abob Teff
Tell me if I am wrong, but the way that I read that was 800.com simply sold their customer list to Circuit City. I saw no other tie together. The 800.com website will not continue to operate, so I don't see this as a merger or an affiliation. Simply, "Thank you for being our customer. This other company gave us lots of money for your information, hopefully you will be their customer now."
Yeah, that's pretty much what happened. CC didn't buy or merge with 800.com. 800.com went away, and is merely redirecting traffic to CC's site.
Old 03-03-02, 03:19 PM
Registered

Not to pleased to see a site sell its customer database to another site but that seems to be what happens when .coms go away

At this point we don't have any form of affiliate relationship with Circuit City and will be removing all links to 800 from our site.
Old 03-04-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, according to an email I got last week, CC will be honoring 800.com's gift certificates. You have to call a number and have it transferred to a CC gift card if I'm not mistaken.
Old 03-04-02, 05:59 PM

Another thing that I didn't see mentioned in this thread is that CC purchased the remainder of 800.com's inventory...that's the only other transaction that I gathered from the e-mail I got at work.
Old 03-04-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

800's inventory was basically 3 receivers, 2 TV's, a handful of cordless phones and a lot of wires, cables, and headphones. I believe I probably could've purchased 800's remaining inventory.
Old 03-05-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
I've actually been wondering what typ of shape CC is in these days. Sounds like they are still in trouble.....
Old 03-05-02, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by renaldow
800's inventory was basically 3 receivers, 2 TV's, a handful of cordless phones and a lot of wires, cables, and headphones. I believe I probably could've purchased 800's remaining inventory.
According to the e-mail I received, the remaining inventory is a potential $45 million in sales.
Old 03-06-02, 12:09 AM

no more popcorn?
Old 03-08-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by hkytwn14
According to the e-mail I received, the remaining inventory is a potential $45 million in sales.
According to what was actually in stock at their website, that's not the case. Although they did have in stock a ton of VHS titles, their actual electronics inventory levels were very low. The 45 million number probably also includes the value of their returned merchandise, which sits in the warehouse unsellable through the website.
Old 03-08-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Originally posted by jpcamb
I've actually been wondering what typ of shape CC is in these days. Sounds like they are still in trouble.....
I've been thinking for awhile that CC may be the next big retailer to go. Every one that I have ever been in has been the same:

POOR SERVICE I went in a few weeks ago to buy a new DVD player. It took me three trips, and I finally got fed up and grabbed the price tag off of the model I wanted and went to the cash register. If I could have found that particular model elsewhere in town I would not have bought it there.

POORLY TRAINED STAFF One of those three trips I was looking for a movie on sale in their ad. I was told that they were out of it and that was too bad. No raincheck, no substitution, screw you and see ya' later! Then the girl went back to looking for Dances With Wolves for another customer.

BAD ADVERTISING If we are lucky enough to get a CC ad with DVDs in it, they inevtiably never have them and refuse to do anything about it. CC has, in recent years, garnered a bad reputation in regards to false advertising. They also do not put out sale signs in the store to let the customer know what is on sale.

DIVX OK, it doesn't exist anymore, but it's almost a shame that it wasn't the death of this company.