Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Target and their new Holiday plan?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a friend (yes it's one of those friend of a friend stories) who went to Target to see if they were hiring in the management field. During the interview she asked about what days they were closed during the year.

At this point the interviewee said that Target is planning on being open on Thanksgiving Day. Now many of you know that K-mart started doing this a few years ago. But if Target does this how long before other retailers follow suit? Could this be the end of Black Friday as we know it?

I personally hope they don't do it. Thanksgiving is already difficult without having to go shopping. What do you guys think?
Old 02-20-02, 02:58 PM

For me, a group of us (3 couples and 7 kids) do Thanksgiving together without extended family. This started more than 5 years ago when a family get together fell through. We rotate who the host is each year even though we are split between Southern CA and the Bay Area. Although the event is always different, one thing has always been the same.

After the lunch/dinner is over, we all get in the car to go to KMART. This is not any quest for early bargains, although some can be had (Pepsi 12-pack for $1.50 this year). This is really a chance to walk off the meal and do something other than watch TV. It's usually a trip of less than an hour, but it gets you out of the chair.

Now, as to the effect on Black Friday, I don't think there is one even if Target does it. I think this is an opportunity for them to do a one-day promotion similar to the Kmart idea. There is too much tradition wrapped up in the Friday mayhem. Additionally, most folks are not into doing this sort of recreational activity on a major family holiday.

For us, it's something different.
Old 02-20-02, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dan(size) you crack me up!

Airing our dirty holiday laundry on in the forum.

The K-mart run has become part of the tradition so it's OK but I still hate the idea of going to K-mart on that day.

I agree, I don't think it will do anything to our beloved/dreaded Black Friday.
Old 02-20-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But it can change. If Target is successful with this kind of roll-out, what retailer is not going to be open on Thanksgiving. K-mart couldn't pull this off, but Target has the resources and brand name to do something like this. For me I just hate the idea of having to go shopping when I want to watch the Cowboy game! Trust me it happens enough on Sunday as it is.
Old 02-21-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I did the K-mart turkey day thing this year and from my experience if you aren't there before 8:00am all the really good deals are gone anyway, so it shouldn't disrupt football or anything else. I love it just because it eliminates another store from the list I will have to go to on Friday.
Old 02-21-02, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess I wanted to hear from some employees of retail stores that are generally closed for Thanksgiving. I guess we don't have any here.
Old 02-22-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By Turkey Day this year there might not be any K-Marts to run to anyway.

I heard they were closing some 291 stores at least. The final lists are to come within the next 2 weeks.