Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Deep Discount DVD Problems and Resolutions (formerly: "What a nightmare!")

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Deep Discount DVD Problems and Resolutions (formerly: "What a nightmare!")

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-02, 05:22 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by krazy_ivan
I am looking at purchasing the Star Trek Box Set.

FYI

Paramont is going to re-release ST II to VI as 2-disc SEs, like ST: TMP. There will most likely be a new box set when they're done with all the movies.
Old 02-09-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by krazy_ivan
I've never ordered from DDD, however with all the praise that it recieves on this forum, I am looking at purchasing the Star Trek Box Set.

However, I noticed that North American DVD has it for a cheaper price. I know that I've read in the past that DDD will beat all prices. If this is still true, how do I go about asking DDD to match their price?

DDD - $175.21
NADVD - $154.99
They will not price match Canadian stores. I cut and pasted their policies below in matching a price.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/promo.cfm

GUARANTEED LOWEST TOTAL PRICE

DeepDiscountDVD.com guarantees offering the lowest total price on any individual, in stock, DVD of any other online retailer of DVDs. If you find an individual DVD offered from any other online retailer at a lower total price than offered at DeepDiscountDVD.com we will match the lower advertised price.

To receive the lowest total price guarantee, simply email the URL linking to the product information page showing the lower total price of an individual DVD (including shipping & handling charges) to [email protected] and we will match the price.
Please put PRICE MATCH in the subject line.

Due to fluctuations in exchange rates DeepDiscountDVD.com will not price match Canadian etailers.

The lowest *total price guarantee applies only to like products sold at other online retailers of DVDs during the same time period. DeepDiscountDVD.com will not match competitors' coupons. The guarantee does not apply to items sold at auction, trading or "swap" sites or those sold by individuals not qualifying as retailers. The guarantee does not apply to items sold at offline retail locations. Product sent via an expedited shipping method or to international addresses (including Canada) is not covered as part of the lowest total price guarantee.

We reserve the right to limit quantities.

Total Price

DeepDiscountDVD.com determines the lowest total price of an individual DVD as follows:

Product Price + Standard Shipping & Handling = Total Price*

*Sales tax charged for items shipping to an Illinois address not included in the "Total Price Guarantee".

Last edited by Laser Movies; 02-09-02 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-10-02, 09:41 PM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems someone from DDD is still actively reading this thread. I noted yesterday that they had Upstairs Downstairs Season 3 for full price $79.95 and it has since been lowered to $42.53

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ANE070414

I would have liked to have gotten the same price on this set as I did on the others ($38.38) but I'll probably go for it at this slightly higher price anyway. I've been happy with DDD's service so far.

Last edited by AJW; 02-11-02 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-11-02, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I admit that I get 90% of my DVDs from Columbia House, pretty much everything else I get from DDD... only when they don't carry it do I look elsewhere. I order pretty much all my Criterions from them, and plenty of other stuff that's a little too independent or whatnot for CH to carry (like Bully, Open Your Eyes, and Lost and Delirious in the past 2 weeks).

They pretty much always have the best prices on these things - and on top of that, you can actually get through easily to talk to CSRs who have always been well informed and helpful. I've had an order or two messed up by them in the past, but they've always been happy to fix it when I've given them a call.

Anyway, another big from me!
Old 02-12-02, 09:37 PM

I have been a BIG fan of DDD for a couple years now. I have bought 50+ DVDs from them over the years. I've never really had any gripes, until now (albeit a minor one).
I have always chosen media mail when making purchases via DDD. Living in So. Cal. it generally takes about 10-14 days for me to receive my discs from the time they are shipped. My most recent order is coming up on 3 weeks (21 days) however, and I haven't received the disc. I received my credit card bill and it was most certainly charged on the day the site says the disc was shipped.
I had a disc shipped media mail from DVD Empire around the same time (they're in PA) and received it the other day.
I hope this isn't what to expect from DDD going forward, because I have always loved their site, and hope to give them more business in the future.
JDF5244
Old 02-17-02, 02:39 PM
M16
Cool New Member

I've placed two orders from DDD, but when I go to my account, It shows that I've no open orders!!, is that what happen usually with you guys?? but I've only placed the 1st order before 20 hours, and the 2nd one before 3 hours, is that ok?? and I've choose for the delivery option for both of them this one "2 to 3 business day delivery, is that ok??".

And the other thing that i've heared that they have the least price, but they sell "French Connection I & II Collection Box " for "$ 29.28", and for the same item at " www.dv-depot.com " they sell it for "28.95".
Old 02-17-02, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by M16
And the other thing that i've heared that they have the least price, but they sell "French Connection I & II Collection Box " for "$ 29.28", and for the same item at " www.dv-depot.com " they sell it for "28.95".
DDD has the lowest "Total" price, which is the items cost + shipping. Also, DDD only price matches online stores based in the US.
Old 02-17-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had an order I placed not show as open, but it was there because I called and checked. They are always helpful when I've called with a question. Overall I'm very happy with the service I've gotten from DDD and they now have all of my online DVD business. I haven't ordered from anyone but them in months.

As far as how long Media Mail takes. I've had it take anywhere from 1 week to a month. Thats kind of the risk you take with third class mail. I was doing the Priority upgrade when it was only $1.95, but its $3.95 again.

Last edited by darkside; 02-17-02 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-18-02, 04:33 PM
M16
Cool New Member

It's my 1st time with them "DDD" ,so I do not know how thigs go, and I've recived the confirmation letter 24 hours ago, so what I want to ask is, How long does it take from then to send the packages?? and the title was instock when I ordered.

Thanks,,
Old 02-18-02, 05:13 PM

A big gripe i have with DDD is their webpage. It's old looking and looks kinda shady.

In addition to that, i have not been able to update my credit card information. I get an invalid card # msg when i try to finalize my changes. To get around that i just created a whole new account with the new card.

Small annoyances, but they should really be a non-issue, hopefully DDD will fix em.
Old 02-19-02, 04:44 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeepDiscountDVD
[B]Hello Everyone,

We have completed the first stage of the upgrades so the order files from the last week are being rebuilt and your online order status should be current shortly.

Well...It's been nearly three weeks and my order status still shows as being open and no 'official' email stating my order had been sent. And since I did not receive a reply for my credit card being charged twice, I had my bank reverse the second amount. Interestingly enough, my credit card company informed me that they had 'a significant number of credit card claims' against 'Infinity Resources'. Call me cynical, but I'm starting to believe the positive comments posted on this site are from 'friends' or those with a vested interest in this company.

I sincerely doubt that my order was ever sent and will most likely have to make a claim against the original amount. Boy...have I learned my lesson. BUYER BEWARE!
Old 02-19-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by oten66

Well...It's been nearly three weeks and my order status still shows as being open and no 'official' email stating my order had been sent. And since I did not receive a reply for my credit card being charged twice, I had my bank reverse the second amount. Interestingly enough, my credit card company informed me that they had 'a significant number of credit card claims' against 'Infinity Resources'. Call me cynical, but I'm starting to believe the positive comments posted on this site are from 'friends' or those with a vested interest in this company.
[/B]
I highly doubt a bank told you they had significant number of claims. That would open them to a possible lawsuit.

BTW all the positive people are really the same person.
Old 02-19-02, 08:54 AM
DeepDiscount.com

Oten66,

I apologize directly to you for the inconveniences that you are having with our company and I have sent you an email with my personal contact information so that we may resolve these issues immediately. It is obvious that we failed in our attempts to serve you properly and again I apologize. We should have handled your concerns more effectively.

I can assure you though that this situation is the exception and not the rule at DeepDiscountDVD.com. We have a very good reputation and fulfill thousands of orders every day without difficulty. However, I understand that this does not fix your particular situation and as I stated above I will do everything I can to resolve the situation to your satisfaction.

We have been in the business of selling videos direct to consumers for more than 14 years and during that time we have built a reputation as a high quality retailer with both our customers and the studios. So to hear of the difficulties you are having concerns me a great deal and I want to make them right by you.

Again, I am sorry for all of the frustration that we caused. It should never have happened.

Sincerely,

David Barker
Director of Ecommerce
Infinity Resources, Inc.
Old 02-19-02, 12:28 PM
Cool New Member

I have had my first experience with DDD this week, and I ran into problems. I recently moved, and my Credit Card company did not change my address in a timely manner. About 4 days after placing my order, I get a call from DDD stating to call them back. I did, and the CS rep just told me that they wanted to double check, make sure that my order was legit, and that my order will be proccessed promply, although it's already 4 days since my order was placed. Never did he mention, that my order was held up because of the credit card address issue. The next day, I checked my order status, to make sure it's been shipped. I was shocked to see that orders ( I had 2 of them) were cancelled!!!. I called them up, and they told me to call my credit card company. I did, and they changed my address. I called them back, and they wanted me to place another order online. That pissed me off, because it's an order of about 15 DVD's, to do the searches and place the order again is going to take time, and guess what, the order won't be proccessed until the next day. Now this is almost 8 days since placing my orde. OK, so I go online to place my order again, and guess what, one of the items, (limited edition Disney Silly Symphonies) no longer available. I call them up (thank god, they answer promplty at least). Couldn't do anything about it, but they placed the order for me by phone. Since it's a phone order, now I can't track it online. I asked them to send me an email with the confirmation, I was told all I need is my order number. So as of today, my DVD's will be shipped tommorrow, and I hope I can get them in about 5-10 days. That would be a total of about 20 days from my initial order. I understand the address issue, that was the Credit Card fault, but the way this was handled is very poor. That said, I will try them again,because I don't like to judge a company from a single incident (have you tried flying lately?) and the customer service reps were very nice on the phone. I just wish niceness produces results.
Old 02-19-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mikes0765
I have had my first experience with DDD this week, and I ran into problems. I recently moved, and my Credit Card company did not change my address in a timely manner. ....... That said, I will try them again,because I don't like to judge a company from a single incident (have you tried flying lately?) and the customer service reps were very nice on the phone. I just wish niceness produces results.

Seems to me you complaint should be with your credit card company - if they had processed your address change "in a timely manner" you most likely would have had a trouble-free experience with DDD.
Old 02-20-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
Originally posted by JDF5244
I hope this isn't what to expect from DDD going forward, because I have always loved their site, and hope to give them more business in the future.
JDF5244
Why is it DDD's fault that the mail lost your shipment? Have you CALLED them? They will probably ship you a new one (of course if you receive the old one in the mean time, send it back )

I just placed my third order. They do take long to get here, but it is CLEARLY stated in the checkout page. Two orders without a hitch (one of them had 3 DVDs, the other one 1). In this one the site had trouble and while I'm sure I didn't check out twice (only 1 confirmation e-mail and 1 confirmation screen), I called them and was assured they will track my order to make sure it doesn't ship twice and cancel double orders as needed.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 02-20-02 at 11:55 AM.
Old 02-20-02, 01:57 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Log me in as another DDD happy camper. I've had problems with every other online retail, but not DDD.
Old 02-21-02, 04:41 AM

Originally posted by strife

I highly doubt a bank told you they had significant number of claims. That would open them to a possible lawsuit.

BTW all the positive people are really the same person.
\

Have you ever heard of an informal chat over the phone? I have been with the same credit card company for over 20 years and actually have a good relationship with the human beings that work there. This company is dodgy and seem to target overseas consumers. I guess you should be thankful that you live in the US.
Old 02-21-02, 09:08 AM

\

Have you ever heard of an informal chat over the phone? I have been with the same credit card company for over 20 years and actually have a good relationship with the human beings that work there. This company is dodgy and seem to target overseas consumers. I guess you should be thankful that you live in the US.
You actually talk to the same CSR everytime you call? That is amazing (actually unbelievable if you ask me)...who do you have your account with...I want to sign up.
Old 02-21-02, 09:52 AM

oten66,

DDD has already posted twice in this thread apologizing for the problems and willing to solve any outstanding issues you have. In my opinion, that's anything BUT dodgey behavior.

Are you saying that your problem still hasn't been rectified?

-HM
Old 02-21-02, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by travis_bickle:
I will just order from DVDplanet if they have lost my order.

Switching to dvdplanet is possibly less of a panacea. Of course you know that Dvdplanet will adjust the price charged to your CC regardless of what original price you ordered the items at if their costs go up on that item. They've done that to me before. Of course, if the item runs out and goes to back order, they will adjust the cost again. They had done that to me before. And if you PREorder an item and they somehow run out, they will automatically sell the item to you at the non-preorder price even though you pre-ordered it. And of course, each of these above situations can cause them to break your shipment into one DVD per shipment, thus you get a $2.50 charge for S/H each time.

DDD doesn't do that to me. If their margin is less, the ordered price is still the ordered price i pay. Not like dvdplanet who preserves their profit by adjusting or breaking shipments into separate shipments.
Old 02-21-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

\

Still do not believe it. One regardless of informal or formail chat a company is still liable for what is said by it's representives. Second how does one bank know that been many complaints.
Old 02-21-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just placed a order at DDD but didn't get email confirmation nor does it show up in open orders. is it possible it did not go thru ? or would you suggest i call and check to be sure ?
Old 02-22-02, 09:17 AM
Cool New Member

Just had to wade into this post. Have ordered at least 50 DVDs from DDD with only two problems, neither of which was their fault. Two shipments did not show up at all - called DDD each time & they sent replacements immediately. By the way, the originals never did show up. Personally think it was "readdressed" by a mail person on the way. I live in Florida and it usually takes about 10 working days to get here. I feel they are a first class outfit - when I did call the reps, they were polite and efficient. I seldom get a receipt from them but it doesn't effect their service. Did call a couple of times for order numbers but that is all. They will continue to get all of my DVD orders.
Old 02-22-02, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I should clarify DDD is my favorite place to order dvd's alongside DVDEmpire. they have given me nothing but A+ service/customer service thruout the past year. All i was wondering with my prior post was if anyone knew if an order could go thru even though it doesn't show up in open orders. So i would know whether to re-order or just wait.

I don't think its really fair for a few people to continuously complain about DDD in here. The problems i read a few of you are having are easily resolved by picking up the phone and calling customer service. The person with the Address problem with credit card company that is clearly your fault and your credit card company. You should of made sure your new address was taken care of before you ordered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.