Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster 30-Day Guarantee on PVDs

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Old 01-23-02, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had to return a PVD to Blockbuster Video. I bought one tonight that accidently broke in half. I was wondering if they would have any problems exchanging the disc considering I removed the sticker???

My DVD Collection
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...=TheSoulKeeper
Old 01-23-02, 11:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whats a PVD?
Old 01-24-02, 12:58 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dvde
Whats a PVD?
It's a new form of DVD. Blockbuster takes a brand new DVD, permanently marks it their ugly sticker, then rents it to people who in turn wacks it, scratches it and fingerprints it. At the end of a few dozen of cycles, BB puts their seal of approval on it as a PVD or PPV (whatever you want to call it) since it passes even after having been age accelerated through various abusive tests

a.k.a. Previously Viewed DVD.
Old 01-24-02, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Blockbuster 30-Day Guarantee on PVDs

Originally posted by TheSoulKeeper
Has anyone had to return a PVD to Blockbuster Video. I bought one tonight that accidently broke in half. I was wondering if they would have any problems exchanging the disc considering I removed the sticker???

My DVD Collection
Was the act of removing the sticker the cause of the DVD snapping in half? Because if it was, you're really SOL. The sticker superglued to the DVD mentions the possiblility of damage to the disc if it's removed. At least mine does....
Old 01-25-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Well, my BB doesn't have the sticker on the disc (only on the case). My suggestion to TheSoulKeeper is to put the sticker back on and bring it back. Some stores make you get another PVD, and some just give you a refund. YMMV
Old 01-26-02, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by eau

It's a new form of DVD. Blockbuster takes a brand new DVD, permanently marks it their ugly sticker, then rents it to people who in turn wacks it, scratches it and fingerprints it. At the end of a few dozen of cycles, BB puts their seal of approval on it as a PVD or PPV (whatever you want to call it) since it passes even after having been age accelerated through various abusive tests

a.k.a. Previously Viewed DVD.
You know, I have bought about a dozen PVD at BBV, and I've never had a problem with any of them. When you consider that I've never paid more than about $10 for each movie, I think you could do worse. But that's just my opinion.
Old 01-27-02, 06:20 PM

Very Interesting BBV Findings

Well, first of all I was able to exchange the damaged DVD with no problems, but not at the BBV I originally purchased it at. The reason not being, the removal of the sticker, rather they just haed no more of the same title. Another BBV replaced it with no questions asked. So that is the good news!

Now onto some interesting findings on my journey to have the disc replaced. I visited several BBV stores in my locla area. Each and every BBV has different procedures on DVDs.

The store that I purchased the damaged DVD at places and clear sticker over the face of the entire DVD. The sticker is easy to remove yet there is the possiblity to damage the DVD when removing it which is stated on the sticker. The sticker's basic purpose is to place the security strips onto the DVD itself so that no one can remove the DVD from the case and take it from the store. This BBV displays DVDs in their original cases which have no anti-theft devices.

Next the BBV where I returned the DVD does things completly different. THey place to black strips on the DVD which have the anti-theft strips underneath. They also display the DVDs in keep cases that lock which are also anti-theft equiped. When you purchase the PPV DVD, they take an empty case and put the DVD and cover in it. The bad news is that in order to use the anti-theft case they cut the cover.

Yes another BBV, used a small sitcker that wraps around the center of the disc. This lable is harder to remove as it leaves behind the words BlockBuster when peeled off. They also use anti-theft cases but do not damage the cover.

And finally the last BBV I visited simpley writes the store number on the DVD in black marker and uses anti-theft cases. They do not damage the cover. This is my BBV of choice as the marker is easily removable. The only bad thing is there selection is never that great, go figure.

It never ceases to amaze me how the same company has so many different procedures.

My DVD Collection
Old 01-27-02, 09:58 PM
ava

I've bought about a 1/4 of my DVD's previewed from Blockbuster (college student = no money) and I've only returned one. It had a huge scratch across it. I brought it in with my receipt and had no problem getting a refund. And I had taken the sticker off the back of the case already.
Old 02-06-02, 04:03 PM

Was the act of removing the sticker the cause of the DVD snapping in half? Because if it was, you're really SOL. The sticker superglued to the DVD mentions the possiblility of damage to the disc if it's removed. At least mine does....
Victant,

Try the BBV @ LL in the shopping center @ the corner of Mtn. View & Barton next to the Stater Bros. Thats where I get all of mine and only a few have had the stickers, but they came off easily. The BBV on Redlands Blvd. in Redlands always has the crappy stickers.

Ozy.